PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: How to Customize a Custom Rom: Adding/Removing Programs

Quote:
Originally Posted by QkSi1ver View Post
Thanks Great post!
Why thanks! It apparently has become my new mission in life to help everyone learn how to make their own rom! It's definately one of the most semi-affordable hobbies I've ever had... And fun...

Old 09-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Verizon XV6900)
Carrier: Verizon

denasqu is keeping up the good workdenasqu is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to denasqu

OEM questions.

After you run prepit.bat and fill the SYS folder, are the SYS sub-folders actually OEM's?

I thought I could just copy some OEM's that I wasn't sure about from \SYS\{subfldr} to the OEM folder then have the checkbox option in BuildOS. But that doesn't seem to work.

I also tried to copy the same folders over to PPCKitchen USER_OEM but it didn't see them either.

So, I assume the decompiled SYS sub-folders are not OEM's. Then the question is.... what they hell are they??

Thanks
Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by denasqu View Post
OEM questions.

After you run prepit.bat and fill the SYS folder, are the SYS sub-folders actually OEM's?

I thought I could just copy some OEM's that I wasn't sure about from \SYS\{subfldr} to the OEM folder then have the checkbox option in BuildOS. But that doesn't seem to work.

I also tried to copy the same folders over to PPCKitchen USER_OEM but it didn't see them either.

So, I assume the decompiled SYS sub-folders are not OEM's. Then the question is.... what they hell are they??

Thanks
Yes, they are OEM's...but they have been partially incorporated into the rom already. Incorporated means they are missing:

1. option.xml (needed by buildos for them checkboxes)
2. initflashfiles.txt (incorporated into initflashfiles.dat)
3. GUID*.RGU (sometimes...) (incorporated into user.hv and default.hv)

So, without those components, their no good really.

So yes they are OEM's, but only Partial OEM's...A search over @ xda-developers and ppcgeeks you might find a whole OEM...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:25 PM
SuperNoob
Threadstarter

When you run BuildOS the following happens to the "stuff" in the OEM and SYS folders of your kitchen:

..\OEM directory:
1. Processes initflashfiles.txt
2. Processes *.RGU
3. copies files into the ROM

..\SYS directory:
1. Copies files into the ROM

A lot more goes on behind the scene, but that's in super-layman's terms. The above is why you want to put new OEM's into the ..\OEM directory, so BuildOS processes it correctly...
Old 09-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Next question....

I know you can convert a CAB to an OEM but what about converting an EXE to an OEM?

I have a few programs that I want to cook in (Calligrapher, Flexmail, etc.) that install from an EXE. I'm assuming there is no direct way to go from an EXE to an OEM...... BUT, when I install Calligrapher or Flexmail, I see the last step of the install is a display on my Touch something like "copying flexmail.cab to device".

SO, obviously there is a cab file for these programs, but apparently it is temporary, or maybe hidden? I guess the question then is how do I extract the CAB file from the EXE?

Last edited by gguruusa; 09-06-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Deep Thinker
Pocket PC: Tin Can
Carrier: Atomic Vibration

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
When you run BuildOS the following happens to the "stuff" in the OEM and SYS folders of your kitchen:

..\OEM directory:
1. Processes initflashfiles.txt
2. Processes *.RGU
3. copies files into the ROM

..\SYS directory:
1. Copies files into the ROM

A lot more goes on behind the scene, but that's in super-layman's terms. The above is why you want to put new OEM's into the ..\OEM directory, so BuildOS processes it correctly...

Nope. The sys dir is processed just like the oem dir.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Deep Thinker

gguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributionsgguruusa should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Next question....

I know you can convert a CAB to an OEM but what about converting an EXE to an OEM?

I have a few programs that I want to cook in (Calligrapher, Flexmail, etc.) that install from an EXE. I'm assuming there is no direct way to go from an EXE to an OEM...... BUT, when I install Calligrapher or Flexmail, I see the last step of the install is a display on my Touch something like "copying flexmail.cab to device".

SO, obviously there is a cab file for these programs, but apparently it is temporary, or maybe hidden? I guess the question then is how do I extract the CAB file from the EXE?
Correct...it's temporary. You have to "catch it in the act". Watch the AS/WMDC directoy, and you'll see the .cab appear and dissapear.

Those types of apps generaly have setup.dlls that are difficult to OEM too.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguruusa View Post
Correct...it's temporary. You have to "catch it in the act". Watch the AS/WMDC directoy, and you'll see the .cab appear and dissapear.

Those types of apps generaly have setup.dlls that are difficult to OEM too.
Hmmmm... sounds like you're saying it might not be worth the trouble... and probably not work.

I did find that the folks at PhatWare were nice enough to offer a CAB install for Calligrapher, but WebIS seems to be restricted to EXE for PocketInformant and Flexmail. Figures. Those are the most complicated apps to setup!

Still, cooking my own ROM is going to be a cool way to stay up-to-date without spending a day reconfiguring my device everytime I upgrade.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker

PPCKitchen question...

I reallly like using OMJ's ROM but there a couple things I don't need and a few I do. But I really don't want to "re-invent the wheel" here. I know (or think I do) that if someone built there ROM with PPCKitchen then I just need their selections.txt .... and any unique OEM's I assume... but OMJ didn't use PPCKitchen. OMJ already said we could cannibalize his ROM.

Can PPCKitchen "decompile" an nbh like Doguy's kitchen? ... or is it just for building from scratch?

.... um, Mr.President, I have a follow up question....

Can the "decompilation" from Doguy be utilized in PPCKitchen?

Gracias... I'm almost done with my questions (for now) and ready to start cooking!

Last edited by denasqu; 09-06-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Deep Thinker

Quote:
Hmmmm... sounds like you're saying it might not be worth the trouble... and probably not work.
Not saying that at all...give it a shot. You'll know rapidly if it's going to be bad. I'm only saying that's a bad omen - developers who do that tend to intentionaly complicate their installs.

Quote:
Still, cooking my own ROM is going to be a cool way to stay up-to-date without spending a day reconfiguring my device everytime I upgrade.
pre-made roms blow
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development