PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Updated GPS Drivers (Possible Fix For Standby Issues)

I am running currently some tests regarding not getting a GPS Lock after phone enters Standby mode or restarting a GPS program later in the day.

To get a GPS lock again reload the GPSID_QCT.dll. You can do this by using DOT Fred's Task manager, under Devices tab, and the device name is called GPD0.

If you are using GPS Intermediate Driver as a Com port, then there is no need to set GPS Program port to Com 4, mine is currently disabled and GPS works fine.

1. Using Garmin Mobile XT, and placing the phone into Standby mode, for less then a minute and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second and then Got a GPS Lock.

2. If placing the phone into Standby mode for more then a minute, and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second GPS OFF, then Searching for GPS Device and, then Got a GPS Lock.

3. If placing the phone into Standby mode for more then a minute, and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second GPS OFF, then Searching for GPS Device, and will not find a GPS device. Reloading the GPSID_QCT.dll while the program is running will cause the the phone to soft reset.

4. Repeating step 3 except disabling the GPS port and then reloading the GPSID_QCT.dll, while the program is running. After enabling the GPS port the program gets a GPS lock.

5. Repeating step 3 except disabling the GPS port and then enabling it does not change the outcome.

I also want to add that once the GPS driver GPSID_QCT.dll fails Virser_gps.dll fails *** well when I try to reload it i get an error. If GPS driver does not fail I can reload virser_gps fine. Not sure but virser might be responsible for reinitializing the GPS driver.
Conclusion:

It seems that if GPS driver gets turned off, or is suspended for any other reason the GPS driver fails to enable itself, unless you reload it manually or do a soft reset.

I have uploaded different set of GPS drivers.

Install by unzipping and coping files to c:\windows folder.
You will need to manually start the GPS drivers, and service. Depending on the program you are using you will still have to prime the GPS device first.

I would like to thank hgray for his work.

hgray's has created a program that will enable the GPS drivers, and services on each soft reset, the program is called GPS Kick Start program. If you have not manually installed the dll's you can install his cab file, which has all the GPS drivers, and the Kickstart program combined. These files can be found here. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25027

Update:

I have updated the drivers today as well.

I have as well attached hgrays GPSKickStart program as well since a few people were having issues regarding loading the device drivers, and service.

Install:

Method 1 (manual install)

Download Vogue GPS Drivers.zip, and extract the zipped files to your c:\windows directory. Now download hgrays_GPSKickStart_EXE.zip extract the zipped file to c:\windows\startup folder.

Method 2 (automatic install)

Download GPSKickStart_&_GPS_drivers_cab.zip, and run it. It will install all the drivers, and install GPSKickStart.

GPSKickStart
is for people who can not run unsigned drivers at device boot, it will allow unsigned drivers to auto start during boot up. GPSKickStart and the GPS dll's are not carrier specific, they will work with all carriers.

I guess there is a little confusion regarding hgray's GPSKickstart. There is a manual procedure you can do to remove Security (which some folks do not want to use or can not). Step 6 in this thread http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24925 is the procedure. But this procedure may or may not be done on a Custom ROM you used. The instructions were orginally for a Stock Altell ROM, because there was no 1-2-3 method in use for the vogue. If you choose a ROM that does not have this done and you choose to not do it then you have to start DLL's manually OR use GPSKickstart.

Last edited by mardukeme; 05-07-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Updated New Drivers
This post has been thanked 20 times.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:39 PM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: GPS & standby mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardukeme View Post
I am running currently some tests regarding not getting a GPS Lock after phone enters Standby mode or restarting a GPS program later in the day.

To get a GPS lock again reload the GPSID_QCT.dll. You can do this by using DOT Fred's Task manager, under Devices tab, and the device name is called GPD0.

If you are using GPS Intermediate Driver as a Com port, then there is no need to set GPS Program port to Com 4, mine is currently disabled and GPS works fine.

Edited:

1. Using Garmin Mobile XT, and placing the phone into Standby mode, for less then a minute and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second and then Got a GPS Lock.

2. If placing the phone into Standby mode for more then a minute, and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second GPS OFF, then Searching for GPS Device and, then Got a GPS Lock.

3. If placing the phone into Standby mode for more then a minute, and then turning the phone back on. The program displayed GPS OFF for a split second GPS OFF, then Searching for GPS Device, and will not find a GPS device. Reloading the GPSID_QCT.dll while the program is running will cause the the phone to soft reset.

4. Repeating step 3 except disabling the GPS port and then reloading the GPSID_QCT.dll, while the program is running. After enabling the GPS port the program gets a GPS lock.

5. Repeating step 3 except disabling the GPS port and then enabling it does not change the outcome.

Conclusion:

It seems that if GPS driver gets turned off, or is suspended for any other reason the GPS driver fails to enable itself, unless you reload it manually or do a soft reset.
I've had similiar observations and would like to add just one thing. If for whatever reason, the GPS drivers fails to enable itself, try simply killing all gps apps, and hit the top power button to go into standby. Hit the power button again, and try your gps app. That makes mine come back. I am of the opinion that what standyby kills, standby also fixes
Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

I wonder if its possible for someone to write a mortscript that could reload the GPSID_QCT.dll everytime the phone comes out of standby.

If that's really all that needs to be done, I think something like that would work if you have the script running in the background all the time. I don't think the script itself would use much battery/CPU/RAM.

I'm not too familiar with MortScript, but maybe someone could try that.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
I wonder if its possible for someone to write a mortscript that could reload the GPSID_QCT.dll everytime the phone comes out of standby.

If that's really all that needs to be done, I think something like that would work if you have the script running in the background all the time. I don't think the script itself would use much battery/CPU/RAM.

I'm not too familiar with MortScript, but maybe someone could try that.
So far the only thing closely available is hgray's GPSKickStart program which I am going to try tomorrow and see how it performs. Here is the link: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25027
Old 05-01-2008, 07:56 AM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
So far the only thing closely available is hgray's GPSKickStart program which I am going to try tomorrow and see how it performs. Here is the link: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25027
mardukemme,

Have you tried going to standby to get the gps back after it hangs for whatever reason?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Retired Staff

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
I believe this app basically makes sure the drivers are running after a soft-reset...I think we'll run into the same standby issues though.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Retired Staff

I might have figured out one way around this issue. I tried it this morning (after having my phone in standby for 8+ hours overnight), and I got a lock within a couple minutes on 5 sats in Google Maps.

Search here for BAF GPS Toggle. Its a Today screen plugin in the Titan forums. It basically adds a link on your Today screen that allows you to turn on/off the GPS drivers.

You can click it to turn the drivers on...while its on, DO NOT let your phone go into standby!!! If you're done using GPS, click on the toggle to turn off GPS, then you can let your phone go into standby. Then when you're ready to use it next, click on it again to turn it on.

Just do not let your phone go into standby if the toggle says GPS is on.

I don't believe this will work as a primer if you need one (like for iGuidance), but I haven't tried that yet.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW View Post
mardukemme,

Have you tried going to standby to get the gps back after it hangs for whatever reason?
Quote:
I might have figured out one way around this issue. I tried it this morning (after having my phone in standby for 8+ hours overnight), and I got a lock within a couple minutes on 5 sats in Google Maps.

Search here for BAF GPS Toggle. Its a Today screen plugin in the Titan forums. It basically adds a link on your Today screen that allows you to turn on/off the GPS drivers.

You can click it to turn the drivers on...while its on, DO NOT let your phone go into standby!!! If you're done using GPS, click on the toggle to turn off GPS, then you can let your phone go into standby. Then when you're ready to use it next, click on it again to turn it on.

I don't believe this will work as a primer if you need one (like for iGuidance), but I haven't tried that yet.
Yes I did try it with now luck, Garmin keeps searching for a GPS device and then just gives up, and displays GPS OFF.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:

Thanks, Mindfrost82 I will give a try but first I am going back to the 3.35 radio. I was able to hold a call better with that radio in fringe areas.

Also I want to clarify that when I use my GPS I usually do not let it go into standby mode. I only forced into standby mode to simulate how users who use GPS on their phones, then when done put the phone away. After a while the phone enters standby mode. Later throughout the day they want to use their GPS again, and can't get a GPS lock without doing a soft reset.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

naiserie is a n00b

here's the link for baf gps toggle...heading out to try it right now.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...21&postcount=1
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development