PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Alltel ROM vs JD's 6.1 GPS ROM - GPS Performance Poll (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=25123)

mindfrost82 04-27-2008 09:47 PM

Alltel ROM vs JD's 6.1 GPS ROM - GPS Performance Poll

I'm trying to do a little research on this problem since there seems to be a wide variety of results for people.

Some people are saying that their GPS is working great and gets a fix very quickly while others say it takes forever or they can't get a fix.

So please vote on the results you've seen.

For those that have it working flawlessly, please post what apps you're using and any changes you've made for GPS.

EDIT: For those of you using JD's ROM, please post which one you're using (the original 6.1 ROM or the new Lite ROM).

mindfrost82 04-27-2008 09:54 PM

Re: Alltel ROM vs JD's 6.1 GPS ROM - GPS Performance Poll

I've been using JD's ROM with mixed results. After a soft reset it usually gets a fix quickly and accurately. After a while it seems like GPS turns off and no matter what program I use to re-enable it doesn't want to work until I soft reset again.

EDIT: I'm using JD's original ROM.

rstoyguy 04-27-2008 09:54 PM

I played with the GPS for about 6 minutes....I'm here for Rev-A

Although I only played with GPS briefly, I couldn't get the gps working on any of the roms yet.
OMJ's, Stock Alltel, JD's. I am searching for the quick-nofail-fix in a week or two when 6.1 get's incorporated.

Edit: Using OMJ.WM6.0.GPS

boba6421 04-27-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 263215)
I've been using JD's ROM with mixed results. After a soft reset it usually gets a fix quickly and accurately. After a while it seems like GPS turns off and no matter what program I use to re-enable it doesn't want to work until I soft reset again.

I am having the same results that you are.

EDIT: I'm using JD's original ROM(gpstest2.1.rar).

hoppyshaw 04-27-2008 10:07 PM

JD's rom has been very stable for me. I have had great success with the Chartcross GPS finder and always start that before I do google maps. Once I start that program, it takes about 6 seconds to connect with GPS and then only a few more seconds for a lock. It seems like the GPS responds faster when I load that finder program first. I have had zero lockups with very good battery life. I have added the following programs:

TouchPal
Esmertec Java
Opera Mini (no crashing like before in other WM6.1 roms!!!)
The new MacFlo
Sprint TV
Flash Lite
Remote Desktop
Music ID
Pocket Rar
Screen Capture
Live Search
Google maps
Chartcross GPS finder
Pocket Controller
SPB Backup

rstoyguy 04-27-2008 10:26 PM

ok, you all peaked my interest...so I moved over by the window... I got only three satellites and both googlemaps and live search showed that I was about 300 yards down the road. I went outside on the porch and it locked on to four and was right on my position. That was after a soft reset. It did take 3-6 minutes to get the signal.

I'm going to tether a while and see what I can get in about an hour and in the morning.

Spencer_Moore 04-27-2008 10:44 PM

Im on JD's new lite rom....so far so good takes 2-3 minutes for a lock of about 3-4 satelites.....not great but not terrible

slypher 04-27-2008 10:56 PM

I'm using the JD GPS test Rom. I can soft reset and get 6 - 8 satellites within 30 seconds indoors (most times in about 12 seconds). I have absolutely no complaints about this ROM's GPS performance!

This is only using Google Maps to prime the GPS. I didn't install Quick GPS or any of the other apps that are used to kickstart the GPS.

-s

Tenny 04-28-2008 12:02 AM

Jd's works pretty good, sometimes the GPS not so much. When I have GPS troubles, I soft-reset the phone, and typically it gets a signal quick...

Alltel, I could not get to work for the life of me...

VW 04-28-2008 08:35 AM

I picked flawless for the alltel rom because if I am outside I get a fix within 30 secs or so. If I am inside it takes a little longer a few minutes.

dew.man 04-28-2008 09:37 AM

Of the people getting a quick fix from their gps, has anyone waited more than 8 hours without anything accessing their gps to be able to still get a quick fix? Key requirements are nothing running in the background that would access the gps, and no soft resets.

Success100 04-28-2008 09:49 AM

using JD's 6.1 gpstest, i have had numerous freezes, and GPS fails to function after the first two times it worked.

For some reason my phone application fails to open randomly even though everything else works, and ill have to soft reset to restore it

dutchman71 04-28-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Same exact symptoms and setup here.

naiserie 04-28-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

this is my experience as well. after a soft reset it'll work, but not otherwise.

same rom.

aikidoka 04-28-2008 10:06 AM

Mine is working inside today after a soft reset. Not sure if I'll need to reset all the time but right now it's getting 2-5 satellites and shifting around within 50-200ft or so of my location. Seems to connect in under 30 seconds right now. We shall see if that continues with out soft resets.

Sprint telnav is about the same.

mindfrost82 04-28-2008 10:15 AM

For those that say they're getting a fix everytime, what app are you using? Are you letting the phone go to sleep then trying again?

I notice even if I have the Holux GPS Viewer running in the background, if my phone goes to sleep, even that'll hang and not get my location until a soft reset.

After reading a bunch of threads here (including ones for the Titan), it seems that most people are experiencing the standby issue. Its a hassle, but atleast its working, so I can't really complain much.

aikidoka 04-28-2008 10:52 AM

ok, put into standby for a moment and now having trouble locking satellites even after a soft reset. I'm just going to let it run for awhile and see what happens.

roz1 04-28-2008 11:01 AM

I'm using JD's 6.1 ROM. I've been using google maps and I've been picking up 3-4 satellites within 30 seconds. I also tried live search but it was having problems. If I use google maps first and then switch to live search I can get a fix.

mindfrost82 04-28-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roz1 (Post 263694)
I'm using JD's 6.1 ROM. I've been using google maps and I've been picking up 3-4 satellites within 30 seconds. I also tried live search but it was having problems. If I use google maps first and then switch to live search I can get a fix.

Do you get these results all the time, or do you have to soft reset to pickup locks? Also, did you install any other GPS app (QuickGPS, GPS Viewer, etc)?

jakdillard 04-28-2008 12:50 PM

I really don't believe that the rom matters much seeing how they use the same drivers what I'm gonna do is extract the gps drivers from the titan rom or a kaiser rom and see if this makes a difference however satelites move all the time sometime I get a quick fix from my house however I get the best result when I'm out on the move and also the radio may let us get gps but it was never included in the rom hmmmmm why don't we try to port a gps rev-a radio and see what happens

mindfrost82 04-28-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakdillard (Post 263846)
I really don't believe that the rom matters much seeing how they use the same drivers what I'm gonna do is extract the gps drivers from the titan rom or a kaiser rom and see if this makes a difference however satelites move all the time sometime I get a quick fix from my house however I get the best result when I'm out on the move and also the radio may let us get gps but it was never included in the rom hmmmmm why don't we try to port a gps rev-a radio and see what happens

Sounds good to me! Atleast mine is working after a soft reset, so I can't complain much.

I know when the beta Mogul ROM was released I think they were having the same issues. I'm not sure if those issues were resolved after the official release or not...but if they were, that might be a place to start.

Thanks again for all your hard work JD!

Slwitek 04-28-2008 01:25 PM

Using Helmi's 6.1 on my apache. Works ok. Has some better features than 6.0 bit I have a hard time with WMDC and syncing. I also get calnot.exe and replog.exe errors. I just soft reset and move on. Wish those worked but overall pretty happy.

scirio 04-28-2008 01:27 PM

My vote: JD's ROM - Poor results (rarely gets a fix or takes a long time to get a fix)

I almost never get the GPS to work. I have google maps and Tomtom navigator 6. I have to open the GPS viewer app first and even then only sometimes I'll get a satelite or 2 or 3 to show up. Whaen I was on the alltell rom for a minute (before moving to JD's) i got GPS nop problem everytime.

I live in the bay area , rev.a should be widely available here. But I DO NOT get rev.a speeds what-so-ever.

mindfrost82 04-28-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slwitek (Post 263893)
Using Helmi's 6.1 on my apache. Works ok. Has some better features than 6.0 bit I have a hard time with WMDC and syncing. I also get calnot.exe and replog.exe errors. I just soft reset and move on. Wish those worked but overall pretty happy.

This thread is about the CDMA Touch/Vogue.

mindfrost82 04-28-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirio (Post 263895)
My vote: JD's ROM - Poor results (rarely gets a fix or takes a long time to get a fix)

I almost never get the GPS to work. I have google maps and Tomtom navigator 6. I have to open the GPS viewer app first and even then only sometimes I'll get a satelite or 2 or 3 to show up. Whaen I was on the alltell rom for a minute (before moving to JD's) i got GPS nop problem everytime.

I live in the bay area , rev.a should be widely available here. But I DO NOT get rev.a speeds what-so-ever.

Even after a soft reset you have a hard time getting a lock?

mswlogo 04-28-2008 01:29 PM

Good idea on the poll but misleading questions.

You should be Comparing COLD Start of GPS on both.
And you also need to describe what software your using to initially lock with.

Warm starts are meaningless.

Outdoors running AllTel 6.0 ROM Google maps from COLD start locks in about 1 minute everytime. Doesn't matter if a I soft reset or not. I expect JD's runs the same and is the least thing to be comparing.

I think it's running great but Google Maps seems to tickle it on Cold Start better than using GPSGate with iGuidance. After Google Maps has locked in and I can shutdown and iGuidance /GPSGate will work fine (just tested on 2 hr road trip and it worked with out a hitch). Ran 2.5 hours with screen on and still had 30% battery left. Not bad.

I think some apps like Google Maps is tickling the "assist" in aGPS on Cold Start while using just GPSGate with iGuidance does not and takes forever.

varunb007 04-28-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirio (Post 263895)

I'm in the same boat as you. I've only been able to lock onto 3-5 satellites in the couple of instances that it actually worked. I dunno why I'm having such a hard time. My bluetooth GPS picks up many satellites really quickly. I would think the internal antenna wouldn't be so weak that it would have a hard time locking into at least half of them. Right now I cannot get it to work. Very frustrating...

varunb007 04-28-2008 02:03 PM

Can someone try this? I cannot try right now since I'm at work. Seems to use Sprint's AGPS server rather than whatever the default one is (probably Alltel's).

In registry editor, go to HKLM/Software/Htc/supl

For ServerIP, change to 68.28.31.49
For ServerPort, change to 5017

Source for info: http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho...on_sprint.html

Please let me know if this helps. Thanks!

matthew23 04-28-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varunb007 (Post 263937)
Can someone try this? I cannot try right now since I'm at work. Seems to use Sprint's AGPS server rather than whatever the default one is (probably Alltel's).

In registry editor, go to HKLM/Software/Htc/supl

For ServerIP, change to 68.28.31.49
For ServerPort, change to 5017

Source for info: http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho...on_sprint.html

Please let me know if this helps. Thanks!

I changed to these last night. seemed to have work a bit better but this morning I was having a very hard time (in chicago). Sprint telnav was way off and only worked at all after a soft reset (at first could not lock on).

I think (and hope) that all of these issues will be fixed once we get an official release from sprint. I have read that mogul users had some of the same complaints that seemed to have been remedied once the official release came out. until then, we have this to hold us over...

wldthng842 04-28-2008 02:34 PM

I am getting mixed results with both. With the alltel version I have not been able to get a lock yet. With JD I get a lock, only outside and after starting the GPS reader. Having to start the GPS reader everytime I use GPS is too annoying so I switched back to the Alltel version to see if I could make it work.

I installed the rom, then the security setting and gps cab. soft reset and google maps says I am about 200 miles off the coast of nigeria. Says GPS working for a fraction of a second and then flips to "97 kB. Seeking GPS satellites (0)...".

Am I doing something wrong? I am inside but near a bunch of windows. I even went over to the window and set it out on the ledge for about 10 minutes and got nothing.

I guess if I don't get a lock at lunch in my car I will have to flip back to JD's and two step it.

gedster314 04-28-2008 02:51 PM

I have mixed results with JD's and have spent no time with Alltell's. I ususlly get a fix within a minute or 2. It did seem to do ok with Google but when I play with Live Search I seem to get a more accurate location plot. But then if it's within a half block who cares.

I will play with it some more but I see it as everyone is still learning and I think after a few Rom versions we will have some pretty respectible gps roms. So far this version of JD's rom hasn't frozen, locked up or taken a deep sleep. To me that's good, GPS is Icing on the cake. I don't seem to have Revison A in my area because I am getting the same speeds as before but my audio streaming does seem more consistent.

Can't wait to see what the official Sprint GPS/A rom will bring to the table.

maxqc 04-28-2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gedster314 (Post 264003)
Can't wait to see what the official Sprint GPS/A rom will bring to the table.

Do we know when it'll be out ?

rstoyguy 04-28-2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 263247)

I'm going to tether a while and see what I can get in about an hour and in the morning.

Oh yeah, I did try these last night and I got my gps working within a minute or two without resetting. Worked after tethering for a couple hours, and when I woke up this morning. Without resetting. I'm using OMJ's rom, didn't do the 1-2-3 files thing. The only thing I did was I cabbed up something. And when I tested the cab I left it on my device. Anyone else wanna try this and see if it helps? It kickstarts your GPS and loads it on every boot. Here is the link:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...43&postcount=2

varunb007 04-28-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rstoyguy (Post 264195)
Oh yeah, I did try these last night and I got my gps working within a minute or two without resetting. Worked after tethering for a couple hours, and when I woke up this morning. Without resetting. I'm using OMJ's rom, didn't do the 1-2-3 files thing. The only thing I did was I cabbed up something. And when I tested the cab I left it on my device. Anyone else wanna try this and see if it helps? It kickstarts your GPS and loads it on every boot. Here is the link:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...43&postcount=2

i tried that and it doesn't cause any harm but it doesn't help me get a lock with the gps.

firefly4321 04-28-2008 05:23 PM

with JD rom I get GPS but no Rev A :(

since Rev A is more important for me right now so I switched back to Alltel Rom... I use my other device for gps anyway so I am too lazy to mess with it right now... GPS probably work on Alltel too but I am thinking of cooking my own ROM... :)

aikidoka 04-28-2008 06:01 PM

I'm connecting very quick after a soft reset. Using JD's rom. I had all sorts of problems inside at work but now in my apt. it's fine. I think if I just watch that it doesnt suspend while running it should be fine. (famous last words)

roz1 04-29-2008 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mindfrost82 (Post 263835)
Do you get these results all the time, or do you have to soft reset to pickup locks? Also, did you install any other GPS app (QuickGPS, GPS Viewer, etc)?

No I didn't install any extra apps or make any tweaks to get the 30 second fix. I tried installing quickGPS but the lock time seemed to get longer so I actually uninstalled it. I haven't really played around with it much yet. I'll try some experiments and see what happens.

grooves12 04-29-2008 03:19 AM

Quote:

That's the same behavior I am getting...

VW 04-29-2008 01:31 PM

I voted Alltel and flawless, but feel I must change my answer. Now I would have to say mixed as the GPS sometimes simply wont get a fix in short order. Sometimes a soft reset fixes it, sometimes it doesnt. Today at lunch it took two soft resets. Ive been using visualGPSce tp kickstart it most of the time, but I dont really think the program that initiates it comes into play. All that program does is interpret the NMEA signals that the gps unit sends it. And I get plenty of satellites quickly, so the actual chip isnt the problem.

I dont understand why the almanac doesnt seem to save somewhere in the machine. I also dont know if the quickgps does anything valuable.

Good thing I have a garmin vista hcx to tide me over until I get this fixed, although I was hoping to sell it on ebay, but might hang on to it due to its incredible battery life.

mswlogo 04-29-2008 05:43 PM

Mine refused to connect this morning in bad weather in the car, waited 10 minutes for Google Maps. Then I soft reset and Bingo Google Maps locked in about 2 minutes.

AllTell 6.0 ROM.

So it does seem that things can get wedged.

So My new rule is, if I really need it and don't want to chance a long wait, soft reset, run Google Maps (outside) then run iGuidance (with GPSGate) and I'm ok every time. I can live with that if it stays consistent.

I need to play with GPSView and see if that helps any, I don't think it will.