PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 10:58 PM
ptfdmedic

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Thumbs up I finally got GPS working. If your stuck try this

I couldn't get anything to work. I tried evey rom and both radios....

I used the same trick on my old mogul. Here's what I did. I never installed gpsviewer. Instead I used a program called AstroGPSLauncher. This program will prime the gps for you. I then used the sksmgrwm5.cab and created a new shot cut for iGO. So now all I have to do is launch this one Icon and iGO launches and sat lock hits in under 5 sec. This has worked with both radios and I am using Ghetto' snew rom kitchen.

I cannot remember where I found these things the first time. I believe it was on the www.xda-developers.com. It was under the titan threads. If I can find the exact link I will post them here.

I hope this helps.. I am really tired so I hopes this makes sense. I can help more if anyone needs it.

Good Luck. I also have the program cabs I can post. I just have to figure out how to go that.

EDITED:

Here is the original link at XDA. It contails all the cabs and links you need. It should work. Mine works perfectly now everytime... http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=364199

Thanks

Rob

Last edited by ptfdmedic; 05-01-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

samnyc is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: I finally got GPS working. If your stuck try this

here's my experience. I couldn't get GPS working for a while now. I had the Alltel running for a day and it refused to lock, even when I left GPS viewer running over night. I had some rom issues and didn't try again until 3 days later on a fresh Alltel flash. I always ran GPS viewer first, then google maps. I finally tried soft booting and running google maps only. It got its first lock in about 10 min. I just soft-booted and google maps got a lock in under a minute. I hope this lasts for more than a day .
Old 05-01-2008, 07:07 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

slypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on repslypher is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfdmedic View Post
I couldn't get anything to work. I tried evey rom and both radios....

I used the same trick on my old mogul. Here's what I did. I never installed gpsviewer. Instead I used a program called AstroGPSLauncher. This program will prime the gps for you. I then used the sksmgrwm5.cab and created a new shot cut for iGO. So now all I have to do is launch this one Icon and iGO launches and sat lock hits in under 5 sec. This has worked with both radios and I am using Ghetto' snew rom kitchen.

I cannot remember where I found these things the first time. I believe it was on the www.xda-developers.com. It was under the titan threads. If I can find the exact link I will post them here.

I hope this helps.. I am really tired so I hopes this makes sense. I can help more if anyone needs it.

Good Luck. I also have the program cabs I can post. I just have to figure out how to go that.

Thanks

Rob
Astrolauncher and a little break down on how to use it are all detailed in the thread below:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...troGPSLauncher

Sounds interesting because you can set it up to prime your GPS and launch your favorite app at the same time.

-s

Funniest thread ever!!

Don't just SAY "Thanks" PRESS ... Try it, it only takes a second!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 AM
ptfdmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slypher View Post
Astrolauncher and a little break down on how to use it are all detailed in the thread below:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...troGPSLauncher

Sounds interesting because you can set it up to prime your GPS and launch your favorite app at the same time.

-s

Thanks for finding a link. I was pretty tired last night.... This program is pretty sweet. I created a new iGO launcher icon and removed the original icon so now it appears like all I am doing nothing but launching iGO. I has worked great for me so far.... I used a shortcut manager called SKTools Shortcut manager . Its just a trial but once you creat the new
short cut just save it a safe place and uninstall the shortcut manager...

Last edited by ptfdmedic; 05-01-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint "The CDMA gods"

Brera is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Brera Send a message via Yahoo to Brera

Installed astro, installed shortcut , created using astro, program = Googlemaps.exe, Switched googles port to com4 . It trys to initiate gps, but then tells me it cant find my gps or says its not turned on possibly. Yes i did flash the gps rom for Vogue.

Any info on getting this to work?
Something i did wrong?
Can i not have GPS today running while trying to "use gps" in google maps?
do i need to run gpskicker.exe before doin all this or is that the reason its not working?
Any other apps that have turn by turn and cool gps features?

CDMA Vogue in a GSM white housing? Yep I did it!!
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...ght=white+case
Old 05-01-2008, 05:17 PM
ptfdmedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brera View Post
Installed astro, installed shortcut , created using astro, program = Googlemaps.exe, Switched googles port to com4 . It trys to initiate gps, but then tells me it cant find my gps or says its not turned on possibly. Yes i did flash the gps rom for Vogue.

Any info on getting this to work?
Something i did wrong?
Can i not have GPS today running while trying to "use gps" in google maps?
do i need to run gpskicker.exe before doin all this or is that the reason its not working?
Any other apps that have turn by turn and cool gps features?
iGO 2006 is what I use. But honestly I am starting to have problems again. It worked last night and today but now I am having the standby problems that others are having. I have my Mogul and Vogue both running the same radio and the mogul will instantly lock 14 or 15 sats and the Vogue get 5 maybe. It was working much better this morning. Sprint needs to get it together and release it all ready......

As far as gpskicker goes I don't believe you need both. Its preference...
Old 05-01-2008, 05:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

as you probably know, i couldnt get gps to work on this thing, installed GPSviewer, and then started it first, then google maps and live serach worked just fine. I didnt mess with astro, i always hated that program.

Gpsviewer is pretty sweet too

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 05-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

the_jaguar is a n00b

A potential solution to the standby problem would be to use S2U2 and ensure that the phone never goes to standby, instead turns off the screen. Yes, this will have an impact on the battery life, but I don't think it will be much.
I used to use S2U2 on pre GPS roms, and it used to do a pretty good job. As an added benefit, this solved my phone not waking up, etc issues.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: SPRINT

Masterface7 is keeping up the good workMasterface7 is keeping up the good workMasterface7 is keeping up the good work

hey, i have gps viewer installed and i see anywhere between 2-12 satellites usually, but i have never locked onto one yet any tips. i think next i am just gonna get one of the big name gps programs like either tomtom or igo and try one of those and maybe try the astro
Old 05-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

xcopmanx is keeping up the good workxcopmanx is keeping up the good work

Master, I have the same issue.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development