PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Which ROM are you using and what results are you having?
Alltel ROM - Flawless results (gets a fix everytime) 11 6.92%
Alltel ROM - Poor results (rarely gets a fix or takes a long time to get a fix) 6 3.77%
Alltel ROM - Mixed results (sometimes gets a quick fix and sometimes doesn't) 9 5.66%
JD's ROM - Flawless results (gets a fix everytime) 33 20.75%
JD's ROM - Poor results (rarely gets a fix or takes a long time to get a fix) 26 16.35%
JD's ROM - Mixed results (sometimes gets a quick fix and sometimes doesn't) 55 34.59%
Other ROM - Please post the ROM and results 19 11.95%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 02:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Incredible
Carrier: Sprint Sero Baby!!!

gedster314 is keeping up the good workgedster314 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Alltel ROM vs JD's 6.1 GPS ROM - GPS Performance Poll

I have mixed results with JD's and have spent no time with Alltell's. I ususlly get a fix within a minute or 2. It did seem to do ok with Google but when I play with Live Search I seem to get a more accurate location plot. But then if it's within a half block who cares.

I will play with it some more but I see it as everyone is still learning and I think after a few Rom versions we will have some pretty respectible gps roms. So far this version of JD's rom hasn't frozen, locked up or taken a deep sleep. To me that's good, GPS is Icing on the cake. I don't seem to have Revison A in my area because I am getting the same speeds as before but my audio streaming does seem more consistent.

Can't wait to see what the official Sprint GPS/A rom will bring to the table.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Magic 32w/ Android and Cyanogen ROM
Carrier: Rogers

maxqc is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
Can't wait to see what the official Sprint GPS/A rom will bring to the table.

Do we know when it'll be out ?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:11 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post

I'm going to tether a while and see what I can get in about an hour and in the morning.
Oh yeah, I did try these last night and I got my gps working within a minute or two without resetting. Worked after tethering for a couple hours, and when I woke up this morning. Without resetting. I'm using OMJ's rom, didn't do the 1-2-3 files thing. The only thing I did was I cabbed up something. And when I tested the cab I left it on my device. Anyone else wanna try this and see if it helps? It kickstarts your GPS and loads it on every boot. Here is the link:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...43&postcount=2

Old 04-28-2008, 05:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: sprint

varunb007 is keeping up the good workvarunb007 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstoyguy View Post
Oh yeah, I did try these last night and I got my gps working within a minute or two without resetting. Worked after tethering for a couple hours, and when I woke up this morning. Without resetting. I'm using OMJ's rom, didn't do the 1-2-3 files thing. The only thing I did was I cabbed up something. And when I tested the cab I left it on my device. Anyone else wanna try this and see if it helps? It kickstarts your GPS and loads it on every boot. Here is the link:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...43&postcount=2
i tried that and it doesn't cause any harm but it doesn't help me get a lock with the gps.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch

firefly4321 is a n00b

with JD rom I get GPS but no Rev A

since Rev A is more important for me right now so I switched back to Alltel Rom... I use my other device for gps anyway so I am too lazy to mess with it right now... GPS probably work on Alltel too but I am thinking of cooking my own ROM...
Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch
Carrier: Sprint

aikidoka is just getting started

I'm connecting very quick after a soft reset. Using JD's rom. I had all sorts of problems inside at work but now in my apt. it's fine. I think if I just watch that it doesnt suspend while running it should be fine. (famous last words)
Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch

roz1 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
Do you get these results all the time, or do you have to soft reset to pickup locks? Also, did you install any other GPS app (QuickGPS, GPS Viewer, etc)?
No I didn't install any extra apps or make any tweaks to get the 30 second fix. I tried installing quickGPS but the lock time seemed to get longer so I actually uninstalled it. I haven't really played around with it much yet. I'll try some experiments and see what happens.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:19 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6900

grooves12 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
I've been using JD's ROM with mixed results. After a soft reset it usually gets a fix quickly and accurately. After a while it seems like GPS turns off and no matter what program I use to re-enable it doesn't want to work until I soft reset again.

EDIT: I'm using JD's original ROM.
That's the same behavior I am getting...
Old 04-29-2008, 01:31 PM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I voted Alltel and flawless, but feel I must change my answer. Now I would have to say mixed as the GPS sometimes simply wont get a fix in short order. Sometimes a soft reset fixes it, sometimes it doesnt. Today at lunch it took two soft resets. Ive been using visualGPSce tp kickstart it most of the time, but I dont really think the program that initiates it comes into play. All that program does is interpret the NMEA signals that the gps unit sends it. And I get plenty of satellites quickly, so the actual chip isnt the problem.

I dont understand why the almanac doesnt seem to save somewhere in the machine. I also dont know if the quickgps does anything valuable.

Good thing I have a garmin vista hcx to tide me over until I get this fixed, although I was hoping to sell it on ebay, but might hang on to it due to its incredible battery life.

Last edited by VW; 04-29-2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:43 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Mine refused to connect this morning in bad weather in the car, waited 10 minutes for Google Maps. Then I soft reset and Bingo Google Maps locked in about 2 minutes.

AllTell 6.0 ROM.

So it does seem that things can get wedged.

So My new rule is, if I really need it and don't want to chance a long wait, soft reset, run Google Maps (outside) then run iGuidance (with GPSGate) and I'm ok every time. I can live with that if it stays consistent.

I need to play with GPSView and see if that helps any, I don't think it will.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development