PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Which ROM are you using and what results are you having?
Alltel ROM - Flawless results (gets a fix everytime) 11 6.92%
Alltel ROM - Poor results (rarely gets a fix or takes a long time to get a fix) 6 3.77%
Alltel ROM - Mixed results (sometimes gets a quick fix and sometimes doesn't) 9 5.66%
JD's ROM - Flawless results (gets a fix everytime) 33 20.75%
JD's ROM - Poor results (rarely gets a fix or takes a long time to get a fix) 26 16.35%
JD's ROM - Mixed results (sometimes gets a quick fix and sometimes doesn't) 55 34.59%
Other ROM - Please post the ROM and results 19 11.95%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t
Threadstarter

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82
Re: Alltel ROM vs JD's 6.1 GPS ROM - GPS Performance Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdillard View Post
I really don't believe that the rom matters much seeing how they use the same drivers what I'm gonna do is extract the gps drivers from the titan rom or a kaiser rom and see if this makes a difference however satelites move all the time sometime I get a quick fix from my house however I get the best result when I'm out on the move and also the radio may let us get gps but it was never included in the rom hmmmmm why don't we try to port a gps rev-a radio and see what happens
Sounds good to me! Atleast mine is working after a soft reset, so I can't complain much.

I know when the beta Mogul ROM was released I think they were having the same issues. I'm not sure if those issues were resolved after the official release or not...but if they were, that might be a place to start.

Thanks again for all your hard work JD!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Apache->Mogul->TP2-> EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Slwitek is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Slwitek Send a message via Yahoo to Slwitek

Using Helmi's 6.1 on my apache. Works ok. Has some better features than 6.0 bit I have a hard time with WMDC and syncing. I also get calnot.exe and replog.exe errors. I just soft reset and move on. Wish those worked but overall pretty happy.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

scirio is a n00b

My vote: JD's ROM - Poor results (rarely gets a fix or takes a long time to get a fix)

I almost never get the GPS to work. I have google maps and Tomtom navigator 6. I have to open the GPS viewer app first and even then only sometimes I'll get a satelite or 2 or 3 to show up. Whaen I was on the alltell rom for a minute (before moving to JD's) i got GPS nop problem everytime.

I live in the bay area , rev.a should be widely available here. But I DO NOT get rev.a speeds what-so-ever.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slwitek View Post
Using Helmi's 6.1 on my apache. Works ok. Has some better features than 6.0 bit I have a hard time with WMDC and syncing. I also get calnot.exe and replog.exe errors. I just soft reset and move on. Wish those worked but overall pretty happy.
This thread is about the CDMA Touch/Vogue.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Retired Staff
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirio View Post
My vote: JD's ROM - Poor results (rarely gets a fix or takes a long time to get a fix)

I almost never get the GPS to work. I have google maps and Tomtom navigator 6. I have to open the GPS viewer app first and even then only sometimes I'll get a satelite or 2 or 3 to show up. Whaen I was on the alltell rom for a minute (before moving to JD's) i got GPS nop problem everytime.

I live in the bay area , rev.a should be widely available here. But I DO NOT get rev.a speeds what-so-ever.
Even after a soft reset you have a hard time getting a lock?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

Good idea on the poll but misleading questions.

You should be Comparing COLD Start of GPS on both.
And you also need to describe what software your using to initially lock with.

Warm starts are meaningless.

Outdoors running AllTel 6.0 ROM Google maps from COLD start locks in about 1 minute everytime. Doesn't matter if a I soft reset or not. I expect JD's runs the same and is the least thing to be comparing.

I think it's running great but Google Maps seems to tickle it on Cold Start better than using GPSGate with iGuidance. After Google Maps has locked in and I can shutdown and iGuidance /GPSGate will work fine (just tested on 2 hr road trip and it worked with out a hitch). Ran 2.5 hours with screen on and still had 30% battery left. Not bad.

I think some apps like Google Maps is tickling the "assist" in aGPS on Cold Start while using just GPSGate with iGuidance does not and takes forever.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: sprint

varunb007 is keeping up the good workvarunb007 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirio View Post

I'm in the same boat as you. I've only been able to lock onto 3-5 satellites in the couple of instances that it actually worked. I dunno why I'm having such a hard time. My bluetooth GPS picks up many satellites really quickly. I would think the internal antenna wouldn't be so weak that it would have a hard time locking into at least half of them. Right now I cannot get it to work. Very frustrating...
Old 04-28-2008, 02:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: sprint

varunb007 is keeping up the good workvarunb007 is keeping up the good work

Can someone try this? I cannot try right now since I'm at work. Seems to use Sprint's AGPS server rather than whatever the default one is (probably Alltel's).

In registry editor, go to HKLM/Software/Htc/supl

For ServerIP, change to 68.28.31.49
For ServerPort, change to 5017

Source for info: http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho...on_sprint.html

Please let me know if this helps. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (Stock)

matthew23 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunb007 View Post
Can someone try this? I cannot try right now since I'm at work. Seems to use Sprint's AGPS server rather than whatever the default one is (probably Alltel's).

In registry editor, go to HKLM/Software/Htc/supl

For ServerIP, change to 68.28.31.49
For ServerPort, change to 5017

Source for info: http://www.wmexperts.com/articles/ho...on_sprint.html

Please let me know if this helps. Thanks!

I changed to these last night. seemed to have work a bit better but this morning I was having a very hard time (in chicago). Sprint telnav was way off and only worked at all after a soft reset (at first could not lock on).

I think (and hope) that all of these issues will be fixed once we get an official release from sprint. I have read that mogul users had some of the same complaints that seemed to have been remedied once the official release came out. until then, we have this to hold us over...
Old 04-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Lab Rat
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro/Or whatever device I pick out in the morning.

wldthng842 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to wldthng842

I am getting mixed results with both. With the alltel version I have not been able to get a lock yet. With JD I get a lock, only outside and after starting the GPS reader. Having to start the GPS reader everytime I use GPS is too annoying so I switched back to the Alltel version to see if I could make it work.

I installed the rom, then the security setting and gps cab. soft reset and google maps says I am about 200 miles off the coast of nigeria. Says GPS working for a fraction of a second and then flips to "97 kB. Seeking GPS satellites (0)...".

Am I doing something wrong? I am inside but near a bunch of windows. I even went over to the window and set it out on the ledge for about 10 minutes and got nothing.

I guess if I don't get a lock at lunch in my car I will have to flip back to JD's and two step it.

Remember to say when someone helps you out.

Open thread without searching > waste server usage > waste energy > higher gas prices
Think about the economy the next time you feel the need to open a useless thread. Think about it.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development