PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2008, 07:54 AM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: *Possible* improvement to GPS Fix

How does it do approximating, if not agps?

Frankly I can be inside after a coldboot, fire up google maps, select use gps, start in africa (0,0) and it will zoom, into .5 miles of where I am. Granted this takes a minute or so. Then I can run visualgpsce and it tells me that there are 0 satellites in view, but 1 being used. I think that 1 gps is agps.

edit: ok I am wrong that I can get that after a cold start.

Last edited by VW; 05-01-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: sprint

dew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW View Post
How does it do approximating, if not agps?

Frankly I can be inside after a coldboot, fire up google maps, select use gps, start in africa (0,0) and it will zoom, into .5 miles of where I am. Granted this takes a minute or so. Then I can run visualgpsce and it tells me that there are 0 satellites in view, but 1 being used. I think that 1 gps is agps.

edit: ok I am wrong that I can get that after a cold start.
Turn the radio off. It'll do the same exact thing. Can't be cell assisted...
Old 05-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch

domotang is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew.man View Post
Turn the radio off. It'll do the same exact thing. Can't be cell assisted...
I disagree with your assessment that aGPS isn't functioning on the Vogue. I am running Altel + JDs GPSTest2.1 and ran GPSGate + Google Maps. It located me EXACTLY at the cell tower up the street!!! Once it found the satellites it located me in my back yard. I'm not the first here to observe the aGPS locating us precisely at a cell tower before satellites kick in. I replicated this again at work having been located at the cell tower near the office.
You might rethink your assurance that aGPS isn't functional on these phones.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

mardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuffmardukeme knows their stuff

Like I stated before in this thread. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=15

If anyone wants to see if agps works why don't you put your phone into flight mode. Which would shut off the phone radio, in turn not allowing the usage of agps, but do a soft reset first. Now see how long does it take you to get a signal. Then try the same procedure again eight hours later with the phone radio on, but first do a soft reset first. This would help determine if we are using agps or not.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: tp2
Carrier: sprint

dew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardew.man is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Please keep in mind that I am referring to the gps drivers that came with the stock Alltel rom.

There has been a lot of progress made over the last week, and the different roms out there may now be using different gps drivers. And if, in fact, someone has found a combination that truly enables/unlocks the aGPS, then we should now be seing lots of posts about how quick the fix/lock is rather than how long it takes?
Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch

domotang is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew.man View Post
Please keep in mind that I am referring to the gps drivers that came with the stock Alltel rom.

There has been a lot of progress made over the last week, and the different roms out there may now be using different gps drivers. And if, in fact, someone has found a combination that truly enables/unlocks the aGPS, then we should now be seing lots of posts about how quick the fix/lock is rather than how long it takes?
Here's a possibility: When I installed GPSGate, it requested permission to update certain drivers located in the Windows folder. Could it be that GPSGate detects the presence of aGPS drivers ans replaces them if they are missing.
I started with GPSGate v2.5 found here;
http://www.getjar.com/products/11183/GpsGateforPocketPC
The install asked to update my drivers. I later uninstalled v2.5 and installed v2.6 to enable the "WM GPS" option. This install however didn't request a driver update possibly because 2.5 already gave this.
Could these drivers installed by GPSGate be the aGPS drivers???
Old 05-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned User

htcuser is just getting started

how do you intall this?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch

Red49er is keeping up the good workRed49er is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by domotang View Post
Here's a possibility: When I installed GPSGate, it requested permission to update certain drivers located in the Windows folder. Could it be that GPSGate detects the presence of aGPS drivers ans replaces them if they are missing.
I started with GPSGate v2.5 found here;
http://www.getjar.com/products/11183/GpsGateforPocketPC
The install asked to update my drivers. I later uninstalled v2.5 and installed v2.6 to enable the "WM GPS" option. This install however didn't request a driver update possibly because 2.5 already gave this.
Could these drivers installed by GPSGate be the aGPS drivers???
I tried installing v2.6, and it didn't prompt me to install any drivers (haven't installed any gps helper utils)
Old 05-01-2008, 04:06 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch

firefly4321 is a n00b

the registry hack enable what we call a hybrid system where it will use both system if possible to attend a location. Also the quickGPS hack didwork for me pretty good while I was on JD old test rom. I am back on the AllTel now since Rev A is working great for me at the moment I'll wait a little bit before doing another reflash.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium
Threadstarter

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff

When I started this thread I was not sure if changing the IP address and Port would help. After a few days I noticed it didn't.

I reloaded ROM's back and forth between radios etc. but nothing really helped.

Then with the new GPS DLL's things really started clicking (see sticky).

After that I tried setting GPSMode=4 and finally saw Assited GPS (but not all the time).

Then I decided to try this trick again using the Sprint server.

And bingo, Assisted GPS every time !!

I posted registry script for setting both GPSMode and IP address here.
If you are NOT on Sprint Setting your IP address to the Sprint server may not help or make it worse. But it does not hurt to try.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=24

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development