PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 03:45 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: DCD's 1.0.4 ROM and Kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNyc View Post
This thing is def the fastest thing .. but why is it so clean like no HTC stuff (Home Plugin) etc what can I use as replacement ?
See my post above ... up a few.

If you want to cook your own, download the kitchen and you can pick and choose precisely the ingredents that you want on your phone.

The rom that you downloaded and installed, is one that (I believe) Jim was kind enough to build with a very small footprint, just so folks wouldn't be required to use the kitchen.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 04-18-2008, 04:01 PM
ptfdmedic

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Red face Re: DCD's 1.0.4 ROM and Kitchen

Boggsie,

I had another question. I was wondering if you have a preference when it comes to pagepool size.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: BlackBerry Tour 9630
Carrier: Sprint

RobNyc is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to RobNyc Send a message via Yahoo to RobNyc Send a message via Skype™ to RobNyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
See my post above ... up a few.

If you want to cook your own, download the kitchen and you can pick and choose precisely the ingredents that you want on your phone.

The rom that you downloaded and installed, is one that (I believe) Jim was kind enough to build with a very small footprint, just so folks wouldn't be required to use the kitchen.

Best regards,
-boggsie
The ROM is really fast which is great , but I guess I'll just find a HTC Home replacement somewhere in the Forum unless you guys tell me which one you use
Old 04-20-2008, 08:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

thejinx0r is just getting started

Quote:
I don't believe there is a ROM that has been pre-built for Bell.

ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Vogue/Users/jim256%20-%20jim2561/

The full kitchen is in the directory and if you are so inclined, you could use the kitchen to build a rom for your carrier.
It is actually
On xda, there's links to it, but they are broken...

Anyways, I'll just build ome myself when i get the time to do it.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 AM
b00nsquad

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptfdmedic View Post
Boggsie,

I had another question. I was wondering if you have a preference when it comes to pagepool size.

PagePool is one of the things that I am least familiar with, so my explanation is going to first, point you to this excellent thread, which contains a clear explanation of PagePool by gguruusa.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=15394

It seems that the more programs that you expect to run and keep in memory, the better off you are with a larger PagePool. This is an especially important feature or setting for some of the PocketPCs that are memory-strapped, like the Titan / Mogul. On the Vogue, keeping it larger isn't as much of an issue, as the memory constraints aren't there.

Personally, I prefer to start my PPC and load (run) all of the applications that I typically use and never exit them. Thus, it seems that I would benefit from a larger PagePool, so I typically set mine to 20mb.

My observation, which is very non-scientific, is that a smaller PagePool makes the device much more responsive, when it first starts up. However, as I run more and more applications, the smaller PagePool becomes a bit of a hindrance and actually tends to slow things down as I switch from one application to another.

With a larger PagePool, initial performance isn't as quick, but it is more consistent as I run more applications and switch back and forth between those running applications.

IMHO - FWIW.

Best regards,
-boggsie
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Send a message via AIM to RobNyc Send a message via Yahoo to RobNyc Send a message via Skype™ to RobNyc

Great post boggsie..
Do you use DCD's ROM or Kitchen as well ?
Do you use HTC Home or a replacement for Home screen/plugins ?
We have the same phone + carrier so I would like to know
thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 07:29 AM
b00nsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobNyc View Post
Great post boggsie..
Do you use DCD's ROM or Kitchen as well ?
Do you use HTC Home or a replacement for Home screen/plugins ?
We have the same phone + carrier so I would like to know
thanks
I have used DCDs 1.0.4 kitchen to setup a ROM. Initial results were very promising, but I would have what I refer to as consistent (daily) but sporadic (unreproducible) lockups. The more I looked around, the more it seemed that the WM6 and WM6.1 marriage that was so successful on the Titan / Mogul did not or was not yet working as well on the Touch / Vogue. DCD does not have a Touch / Vogue and is concentrating his efforts on the Titan / Mougl community, so I moved on.

My home screen is very useful (to me) as a quick-glance tool. Space is too valuable to use 30% of it for a clock (HTC Home). My home screen is setup this way:

------------------------
Elecont Weather
------------------------
Messaging Plugin
------------------------
Today Agenda
------------------------
pRSS Reader
------------------------
Win Media Player Plugin
------------------------
Live Search Home Plugin

I also am not fond of the Cube, so I have it and touchflo disabled.

I am running OMJs stripped/bare Sprint OEM w/ WM6.1 and it hasn't locked up on me since Friday.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 04-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Rev A. Enabled

jstout1980 is a n00b

This is the perfect rom for people using POINTUI!! So far i've used it for 2 days with no lockups and since touchflo and cube are removed POINTUI does not compete with those reg settings making the UI scroll much nicer! The 1% batt increments makes the POINTUI battery meter report the proper levels! I am working on a rom that integrates POINTUI. If anyone has any interest or input I may be posting it. Thanks DCD I'll never go back to any other rom!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
I have used DCDs 1.0.4 kitchen to setup a ROM. Initial results were very promising, but I would have what I refer to as consistent (daily) but sporadic (unreproducible) lockups. The more I looked around, the more it seemed that the WM6 and WM6.1 marriage that was so successful on the Titan / Mogul did not or was not yet working as well on the Touch / Vogue. DCD does not have a Touch / Vogue and is concentrating his efforts on the Titan / Mougl community, so I moved on.

My home screen is very useful (to me) as a quick-glance tool. Space is too valuable to use 30% of it for a clock (HTC Home). My home screen is setup this way:

------------------------
Elecont Weather
------------------------
Messaging Plugin
------------------------
Today Agenda
------------------------
pRSS Reader
------------------------
Win Media Player Plugin
------------------------
Live Search Home Plugin

I also am not fond of the Cube, so I have it and touchflo disabled.

I am running OMJs stripped/bare Sprint OEM w/ WM6.1 and it hasn't locked up on me since Friday.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Cool, I been looking for a HTC Home replacement as well. I mean I like it but when you start up the phone you have to wait a few more to be able to use the phone. I been using SPB Mobile Shell and SPB Phone Suite which are very nice, but it seems my battery is dying faster don't know. But I love the Phone Suite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout1980 View Post
This is the perfect rom for people using POINTUI!! So far i've used it for 2 days with no lockups and since touchflo and cube are removed POINTUI does not compete with those reg settings making the UI scroll much nicer! The 1% batt increments makes the POINTUI battery meter report the proper levels! I am working on a rom that integrates POINTUI. If anyone has any interest or input I may be posting it. Thanks DCD I'll never go back to any other rom!
I tried the POINTUI thing I'm not sure if I can get use to it ..
Old 04-23-2008, 01:19 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff

alrighty i just wanted to jump in this thread and clear a few things up if i may.

Quote:
...The rom that you downloaded and installed, is one that (I believe) Jim was kind enough to build with a very small footprint, just so folks wouldn't be required to use the kitchen...
here, i believe i am getting some false credit. the rom i have in my ftp folder is simply the sprint rom direct from dcd that i dl'd and uploaded for others use. if, however, there is some desire/demand for this to be done, i would be happy to do so, so just let me know!

Quote:
...Right now, I am using OMJ's v.8 based on the Sprint OEM ROM. However, OMJ ported in the requisite elements of another donor ROM (CE OS 5.2.19716 BUILD 19716.1.0.0) vs. DCDs (CE OS 5.2.19199 BUILD 19199.1.0.0). =D> ...
I just wanted help make clear the whole difference with the build numbers and things. When i first saw that omj was running 5.2.19716 i thought WOW, that is quite a considerable amount ahead of everyone else! so i inquired to dcd (who would probably know), and received the response (after another few posts and confusions) in post #62 on this page:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=375289&page=7
i would really recommend reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbg View Post
Sorry, nope! A kitchen is somewhat of a clean ROM that you can add all your own custom applications and settings and what not to. You can't take another ROM and use it as far as I know.
and as boggsie already sort of cleared up, a kitchen is not a rom in any way. not to be rude or anything to ryanbg, good guy.

but what a kitchen is is a set of tools for creating a rom. if you want to use dcd's rom but would like to make a few changes, go ahead and dl the kitchen out of my ftp folder as well as the rom. run prepit.bat from lattisimo's vogue kitchen (can also be found on ftp) to split up whichever rom you are using as a base. you then remove items from either the oem or the sys folders, and add your desired components to the oem folder (or sys i guess). then run buildnb.bat, which will bring up buildos where you select what you want, then hit the play button, allow the batch command to run and finish, take a look in your RUU folder and...wala! there you have your rom. if you would like to change the pagepool, feel free to do so with pagepoolchanger.exe.

i dont think there is too much doubt that a 32mb pagepool is faster than just about anything else, but i have also heard that it can cause instability issues? so...play around with that and read up some more on it!

and...thanks for all the "thanks" for loading it up to my folder...you are all very welcome.

let me know if there is any demand out there for some roms based off dcd's 1.0.4 with a little customization or carrier components added.

good luck!

Don't forget to donate or say thanks!

Flashing How To for Vogue

Super cheap phones: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39267

HD or iPhone http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44839

Android on Vogue (by dzo): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=23244
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development