PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Vogue Development (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Bare bones 6.1 ROM (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=22931)

Torx 04-03-2008 08:28 AM

Re: Bare bones 6.1 ROM

im like scooter, i dont want biotouch i never use it and its a shame htc/ms doesnt have a disable option for it. its another process/service slowing my startup

boggsie 04-03-2008 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torx (Post 239194)
im like scooter, i dont want biotouch i never use it and its a shame htc/ms doesnt have a disable option for it. its another process/service slowing my startup

I am presuming that in the PPCKitchen, this item would be selectable, so one could choose it, or leave it out, based on personal preference.

I do think (based on reading) that there is some restriction on the size of the ROM that ultimately gets loaded to the Touch. If the rom ends up being less than 50mb then it might lead to instability on the Touch. I have no experience with this, just mentioning it as it could be a consideration that the PPCKitchen team is dealing with. If you remove biotouch and cube, etc. you might very well end up with a sub-50mb rom.

Scooter_in_WI 04-03-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boggsie (Post 239214)
I am presuming that in the PPCKitchen, this item would be selectable, so one could choose it, or leave it out, based on personal preference.

I do think (based on reading) that there is some restriction on the size of the ROM that ultimately gets loaded to the Touch. If the rom ends up being less than 50mb then it might lead to instability on the Touch. I have no experience with this, just mentioning it as it could be a consideration that the PPCKitchen team is dealing with. If you remove biotouch and cube, etc. you might very well end up with a sub-50mb rom.

I have not looked into the kitchens for the touch but has this been tried? Even the base ROMs have cube and htc home installed. If we had a completely clean ROM, we could dump that into a kitchen and add whatever we wanted.

boggsie 04-03-2008 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter_in_WI (Post 239248)
I have not looked into the kitchens for the touch but has this been tried? Even the base ROMs have cube and htc home installed. If we had a completely clean ROM, we could dump that into a kitchen and add whatever we wanted.

Quite honestly, if it doesn't appear as a check-box in the kitchen [ which presumably allows me to remove only (somewhat) optional ... i.e. non-core OS components ] then I'm probably going to end up leaving it in.

I am quite little of going into the SYS or OEM folders and taking things out, especially consiering that ImCoKeMan has a bricked Titan (Mogul) and Vogue (Touch) that he is in the midst of trying to resurrect.

dew.man 04-03-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boggsie (Post 239310)
Quite honestly, if it doesn't appear as a check-box in the kitchen [ which presumably allows me to remove only (somewhat) optional ... i.e. non-core OS components ] then I'm probably going to end up leaving it in.

I am quite little of going into the SYS or OEM folders and taking things out, especially consiering that ImCoKeMan has a bricked Titan (Mogul) and Vogue (Touch) that he is in the midst of trying to resurrect.

In reality, there is very little chance of bricking a device with just an OS update. It is the bootloader/radio porting/experimentation that leads to problems.

rstoyguy 04-03-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakdillard (Post 237181)
You guys are really funny when I first started making roms for the vogue I made a clean rom did anybody jump on it ............... no instead I got it doesn't have touch keyboard it don't do this it don't do that .... if you follow n02chem's work you'll find that all of his titan roms are clean same with dcd they provided clean roms so that you can put whatever on it seriously I was gonna do a base kit for the ppcgeek kitchen for the vogue but its on hold ....................

That was before oem files were widely available. No we got oem files, everyone wants a clean rom to dress up their way. I myself have been stripping omj's rom and prefer to do the user customization .cab installs. That way my windows directory is not so cluttered and I can add/remove stuff easier on the fly.

fowen 04-03-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakdillard (Post 237181)
You guys are really funny when I first started making roms for the vogue I made a clean rom did anybody jump on it ............... no instead I got it doesn't have touch keyboard it don't do this it don't do that .... if you follow n02chem's work you'll find that all of his titan roms are clean same with dcd they provided clean roms so that you can put whatever on it seriously I was gonna do a base kit for the ppcgeek kitchen for the vogue but its on hold ....................

I Sent you a PM wanting to go back to your clean ROM because of issues that are annoying the hell out of me with WM 6.1, but I didn't get a response.

ghettofreeryder 04-03-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boggsie (Post 238891)
Checked it out and the Kitchen is nice. The theme support (Comm Manager, Calculator, Phone, etc.) is really top-notch.

However, and it may sound goofy, things like Solitaire and Bubble Breaker are missing and I can't see how to get it back into the Kitchen. i.e. no option

Also, there is a tweak to put a "stacked" date and clock (one on top of the other) on the top (home) bar and to set it so this shows in every application. Again, I don't see an option for this.

Another thing; there is an option for the very top to pixels to appear as a gradient (rainbow effect) to depict battery state. Sorry, but no option for this.

... and I certainly don't intend to disrespect the work of ghettofreerider or any other Chef. I'm just giving a bit of feedback regarding the feature-rich nature of the PPCKitchen.

Best regards,
-boggsie

1. Solitaire and Bubble Breaker are included with my roms, in the entertainment package
2.Stacked date and clock are just a reg edit, look for it in this forum and make your own oem for it
3.the rainbow effect battery meter is vistahide or something like that. I dont use it, but it is available as an oem from many cooks

htcuser 04-03-2008 05:48 PM

Just my 2 cents.... I reflash to stock or clean roms all the time because of the programs some chefs put it.I cant uninstall them so i just reflash. I know you can disabble the programs with a few reg edits.. but just the though of knowing that theres some memory room being used up by disabled programs just eats me away. :)

boggsie 04-03-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghettofreeryder (Post 239740)
1. Solitaire and Bubble Breaker are included with my roms, in the entertainment package
2.Stacked date and clock are just a reg edit, look for it in this forum and make your own oem for it
3.the rainbow effect battery meter is vistahide or something like that. I dont use it, but it is available as an oem from many cooks

Thank you for chiming in, ghettofreeryder. I'm learning and this wouldn't be happening without help from folks like you.

I don't want to be seen as trying to put words in anyones mouth, but what I think Scooter_in_WI, myself and perhaps others are looking for is a ROM similar to what DCD has going with 1.0.2. This is something like a 51mb .nbh file. Of course, all by itself, this doesn't begin to unlock the potential of the Touch, but with all of the OEMs that are available now, it makes a very good stripped-down base to start with.

Again, I can't say enough - how much I appreciate folks like you and many others who are doing all kinds of one-off roms; almost like short-order cooks. Your work is appreciated and for those folks who don't want to mess with Kitchens and OEMs, it is essential.

Best regards,
-boggsie