PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development

Notices

View Poll Results: Pre-installed ROM Programs?
I want nothing at all. I'll install what I like. 73 51.05%
I take what I can get and disable what I don't use. 57 39.86%
I use every program pre-installed on cooked ROMs. 13 9.09%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 06:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Scooter_in_WI is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Bare bones 6.1 ROM

I have been trying out different 6.1 ROMs lately. I am currently using JDs last version with great success. Thanks JD!

My question is how difficult would it be to cook a bare bones ROM. Nothing at all but the phone and OS on it. All of these ROMS are great in their own way and have a lot of added features that may or may not suit everyone. I would like to see one that would allow me to install the version of HTC Home or cube (if any) that I like. I don't know if it is impossible to completely strip a ROM of everything but the phone and OS but I think it would be something that a LOT of folks would appreciate.

I guess the other option would be a kitchen that would allow us to add or remove these features as we see fit.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:28 AM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP
Re: Bare bones 6.1 ROM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_in_WI View Post
I have been trying out different 6.1 ROMs lately. I am currently using JDs last version with great success. Thanks JD!

My question is how difficult would it be to cook a bare bones ROM. Nothing at all but the phone and OS on it. All of these ROMS are great in their own way and have a lot of added features that may or may not suit everyone. I would like to see one that would allow me to install the version of HTC Home or cube (if any) that I like. I don't know if it is impossible to completely strip a ROM of everything but the phone and OS but I think it would be something that a LOT of folks would appreciate.

I guess the other option would be a kitchen that would allow us to add or remove these features as we see fit.
Sorry for going immediately (somewhat) off topic, but I think the missing option in your poll is the ability to use the PPCKitchen with a Touch / Vogue base kit so that you can start with your favorite cook's work as a base and then use the kitchen to add according to your personal taste and needs.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsie View Post
Sorry for going immediately (somewhat) off topic, but I think the missing option in your poll is the ability to use the PPCKitchen with a Touch / Vogue base kit so that you can start with your favorite cook's work as a base and then use the kitchen to add according to your personal taste and needs.
I completely agree. In a perfect "Touch World", we would have a simple base kitchen to start off with and then gp from there with our own options. This is kinda' implied with the first option in the poll but I can't change it now since folks have submitted votes. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

specv is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter_in_WI View Post
I completely agree. In a perfect "Touch World", we would have a simple base kitchen to start off with and then gp from there with our own options. This is kinda' implied with the first option in the poll but I can't change it now since folks have submitted votes. Thanks!
i would vote for a clean rom and with a ton of posted cabs for customization to choose from. Then we can use the automatic process of running them. Or release ALL roms clean and have the SD card customizations run. Rather than disabling preinstalled stuff, allow us to edit out what we dont want installed
Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 AM
b00nsquad

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by specv View Post
i would vote for a clean rom and with a ton of posted cabs for customization to choose from. Then we can use the automatic process of running them. Or release ALL roms clean and have the SD card customizations run. Rather than disabling preinstalled stuff, allow us to edit out what we dont want installed
IMHO, the easiest and quickest path to this destination is a base kit for PPCKitchen ... at this point, most of the OEM folders exist, so you wouldn't have to go through the process of making CABs.

If you couldn't tell, I really like/prefer the PPCKitchen approach.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Dream, Kaiser, Herman
Carrier: rogers

dan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIPdan-htc-touch is a VIP

just use ghettofreeriders kitchen, you can add or remove whatever you want by clikking checkmarks
Old 04-01-2008, 12:19 PM
The Trend Setter
Pocket PC: Touch Pro ....
Carrier: Me

jakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation level

You guys are really funny when I first started making roms for the vogue I made a clean rom did anybody jump on it ............... no instead I got it doesn't have touch keyboard it don't do this it don't do that .... if you follow n02chem's work you'll find that all of his titan roms are clean same with dcd they provided clean roms so that you can put whatever on it seriously I was gonna do a base kit for the ppcgeek kitchen for the vogue but its on hold ....................
Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdillard View Post
You guys are really funny when I first started making Roms for the vogue I made a clean rom did anybody jump on it ............... no instead I got it doesn't have touch keyboard it don't do this it don't do that .... if you follow n02chem's work you'll find that all of his titan roms are clean same with dcd they provided clean roms so that you can put whatever on it seriously I was gonna do a base kit for the ppcgeek kitchen for the vogue but its on hold ....................
On hold? For something new maybe?
What I am really looking for is a clean ROM without the goofy cube (biotouch) or HTC home. I have no use for it and have a fun time trying to disable it. I have tried dcd's ROM and it worked great but it still included the cube and home.

Does it affect the OS by not including these or is it just left in since most folks use it?

Thanks again Jack! I am using your latest (with cube and home removed) and it works GREAT!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:08 PM
b00nsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdillard View Post
<snip> ... when I first started making roms for the vogue I made a clean rom did anybody jump on it ............... no ... <snip>

I was gonna do a base kit for the ppcgeek kitchen for the vogue but its on hold ....................
+ 1 vote for Touch / Vogue base kit

... and I've had my Touch for 20 hours and am on my fifth ROM ... I'll check out no2again

thx, jd
Old 04-02-2008, 09:08 PM
b00nsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-htc-touch View Post
just use ghettofreeriders kitchen, you can add or remove whatever you want by clikking checkmarks
Checked it out and the Kitchen is nice. The theme support (Comm Manager, Calculator, Phone, etc.) is really top-notch.

However, and it may sound goofy, things like Solitaire and Bubble Breaker are missing and I can't see how to get it back into the Kitchen. i.e. no option

Also, there is a tweak to put a "stacked" date and clock (one on top of the other) on the top (home) bar and to set it so this shows in every application. Again, I don't see an option for this.

Another thing; there is an option for the very top to pixels to appear as a gradient (rainbow effect) to depict battery state. Sorry, but no option for this.

... and I certainly don't intend to disrespect the work of ghettofreerider or any other Chef. I'm just giving a bit of feedback regarding the feature-rich nature of the PPCKitchen.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development