PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch (HTC Vogue)

jstich is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Improving GPS Accuracy

Anyone have suggestions for improving the accuracy of the GPS on the Touch?

I'm running the newly released ROM for the HTC Vogue which I updated using the RUU EXE. I have GPSMode = 2 in the registry. I know different settings should improve/diminish accuracy, but what I'm seeing with all the settings is pretty unacceptable.

In most areas, both urban and residential, the "current location" seems to jump all over the map, within about 1-2 blocks of my actual stationary location. The number of satellites I track while stationary can range anywhere from 3-9 and changes every second.

I have a pretty clear view of the sky in most places that I try this, and the results seem to be consistent. I haven't exactly checked to see if some areas are consistently better than others, however I would say they are mostly similar (in a park with trees in close proximity and larger buildings a few blocks surrounding).

I am using NomiGPSPlot freeware to do tracks, but I see the same issues with Google Maps. I am able to export the track to Google Maps, and I have included the KML file to show how the tracking "jumps". I did this route on bike.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ExampleKMLFile.zip (264.4 KB, 5 views) Click for barcode!
Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: bell.ca

tichi is just getting started
Re: Improving GPS Accuracy

Yes, that is (unfortunately) consistent with my experience

(the carrier is Bell.ca)... GPS precision is about tens of meters, at least..
Old 07-26-2008, 11:11 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Mine is pretty accurate. If I'm inside, it might show me in the backyard or be a little off but mine has been exact while driving. It shows me on the road the entire time and is really accurate as I'm approaching an intersection, if anything its a few feet off which isn't noticeable for me.

You usually need 4+ sats for the lock to be accurate. If it shows I have 2-3, then it usually does jump around. Even indoors with 4-8 it'll jump around, but it has been very accurate outside and I usually get 6-9 sats.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (6900)
Carrier: Sprint

mc-fine is a n00b

I dont have any issues with accuracy. Though sometimes on google maps it will show me on the wrong side of the freeway. I have noticed the locks are way faster using Garmin XT and the accuracy is spot on. Indoor locks as well.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue
Carrier: Bell

funtek is a n00b

I had similar problems with older radios (especially the ported Titan one (3.35)). Which radio do you have now? I find the newest sprint one to be a good compromise between quick locks and accuracy (3.42.something)
Old 07-27-2008, 06:22 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO(AT&T Fuze)
Carrier: T-Mobile Pre-Paid

DHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the communityDHarvey is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfrost82 View Post
Mine is pretty accurate. If I'm inside, it might show me in the backyard or be a little off but mine has been exact while driving. It shows me on the road the entire time and is really accurate as I'm approaching an intersection, if anything its a few feet off which isn't noticeable for me.

You usually need 4+ sats for the lock to be accurate. If it shows I have 2-3, then it usually does jump around. Even indoors with 4-8 it'll jump around, but it has been very accurate outside and I usually get 6-9 sats.
I have to agree with frosty here. Mine shows me as out on the street when I am inside my apartment but when I am driving it is dead on within 1-3 feet of my location. It even measures my speed very accurately usually within 1-2mph difference.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Incredible
Carrier: Sprint Sero Baby!!!

gedster314 is keeping up the good workgedster314 is keeping up the good work

Miine isn't bad either. Igo sometimes puts me on the wrong side of the freeway too. If I only have 3 satellites (indoors) gmaps puts me up the street a couple of houses. If I have 5 or more it's within about 10 feet.

It is strange how some phones do worse then others. Try one of the more popular custom roms and see if it does better.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:15 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: ppc6700
Carrier: sprint

hoddy4 is becoming a great contributor

It's funny, I added GPS Today onto my Today screen. GPS Today has the capability of showing your home address on that screen when you are home. It shows me in an address about 50 yards away.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch (HTC Vogue)
Threadstarter

jstich is a n00b
Talking Re: Improving GPS Accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by funtek View Post
I had similar problems with older radios (especially the ported Titan one (3.35)). Which radio do you have now? I find the newest sprint one to be a good compromise between quick locks and accuracy (3.42.something)
3.42.30 is my radio version. The accuracy really comes and goes, but I just wanted to see if it was a common experience. It just frustrates me to be standing in one spot (open view of the sky) and see the trace jumping all around within 10-20 meters or so. I wish the thing could just pick one spot and show me there!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstich View Post
Anyone have suggestions for improving the accuracy of the GPS on the Touch?
Have you tried testing with Live Search? I find Google jumps sometimes (but rarely for me) and Live never does. I find Live to be more reliable.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development