PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Flashing How-To. Updated 5/23/08 to Include Quick GPS/Rev-A How-To

This first part is for NON gps/rev a roms...if you are looking for a quick how-to for gps/rev a...look down at the bottom where it says "GPS/REV A STUFF"

THIS IS ONLY FOR THE HTC CDMA TOUCH (VOGUE) !!

i know this first post here is now real long, but READ IT ALL before posting/pm'ing anyone. trust me, you will get through it all...every last word.
(dont get all scared either, this cant ruin your phone. if you are stuck at the htc boot screen, your device is not bricked. if you are stuck at a rainbow/tricolor screen, your phone is not bricked. have faith and patience! )

this method is for a pc running Microsoft Windows XP. if this is not your situation, still continue reading as there are methods for virtually every case.

ive been told that imcokeman's vogue unlocker will not work from a partitioned drive, though im not sure if thats the case.

if you know what flashing/the benefits of flashing are, skip this paragraph; if not, read on. flashing could be likened to installing a different Operating System on your PC. keep in mind, however, that when flashing roms to phones/pdas, the roms ARE DEVICE SPECIFIC. if you find an awesome rom for the titan and LOVE it, but you yourself have a kaiser, forget it. only roms made specifically for your device (and no, even if you have a cdma device, and they make a gsm version of your device, it still will not work) will work for your device. the benefits/advantages of flashing a custom rom onto your device are speed enhancements, addition/removal of programs/settings/reg settings you want or dont want.
now for how to..

for some slight insight on using a Mac, have a look down to the bottom where it says "HERE IS THE BOTTOM" after reading everything else, and/or go here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ighlight=macos

for how to on Vista, look down to the bottom where it says "HERE IS THE BOTTOM" after reading everything else, and/or simply remove any sd cards you might have and follow below directions as normal, and/or go here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=292631

linux users: still read everything here, but have a look down at the bottom where it says "HERE IS THE BOTTOM"

for those who don't know this, flashing your phone also performs the same functions a hard reset would. all your previous apps, contacts, registry tweaks, etc will be gone. also, when you flash someone elses custom rom onto your device, keep in mind that they may have cooked in their own apps and registry tweaks.

ok, go ahead and go to this http://rapidshare.com/files/88767429/RUU.zip.html rapidshare link, and download the ruu.zip there. (if this does not work, navigate to \vogue\users on the ftp, and you should find "RUU.zip" there. if not, go to the folder there titled "jim256-jim2561" and you should find "RUU.zip" there.)

if for some reason you are unable to download the ruu from the above link/location, try my ftp dir here: ftp://up.ppcgeeks.com/Vogue/Users/jim256%20-%20jim2561

download whatever rom image you want

if the rom you download is in nbh format (something.nbh), read on and skip step 7.
if the rom you dowloaded is an exe (something.exe), read on and skip steps 5 and 8 (or use winrar or a similar program to extract the .nbh from the .exe)

then, get imcokeman 's 0.4.0 vogue unlocker tool here

for those who arent sure, you never have to have ActiveSync synchronized for this to work. you just have to have it connected, with ActiveSync recognizing that the device is there and plugged in.

1. backup all contacts/data/etc..
2. ensure your device is connected to your pc via activesync.
3. run imcokeman 's vogue unlocker and follow ALL instructions in the command prompt exactly .
4. once you have booted back up into wm and are connected to activesync again (dont worry about setting up your device again because you're just going to flash it again and erase all that in a second anyway) extract the ruu.zip to somewhere convenient.
5. (FOLLOW THIS STEP ONLY IF THE ROM YOU DOWNLOADED IS AND NBH) stick the rom you downloaded (should be something.nbh -- if the file extension is NOT NBH, stop; this will get you nowhere. as i stated above, roms are device specific, you cannot install another devices rom to your vogue.) into the RUU folder from the rapidshare/ftp link.
6a. (power-camera reset) press and hold both the camera button and the power button (top), and poke the stylus into the reset hole. you should then be presented with the tricolor screen and near the top you should see something like coke 0.4.0 ( if you do not see the coke 0.4.0, then dont bother trying to flash your device. if it does not say coke 0.4.0, the device is not unlocked, and you need to start at step 3 again).
7. (FOLLOW THIS STEP ONLY IF YHE ROM YOU DOWNLOADED IS AN EXECUTABLE). run the exe!
8. (FOLLOW THIS STEP ONLY IF THE ROM YOU DOWNLOADED IS AN NBH) run ROMUpdateUtility.exe in the ruu folder you downloaded and extracted.
9. follow the steps, be patient, be careful, and whala!
10. thank imcokeman and whoever you downloaded your rom image from.

good luck.

also, for all those that keep asking about this and are worried about this, yes, the version discrepancy is completely normal in the ruu before updating. it just means v1 of the cookers rom, so even if it is a version lower than 1.12.651.1, that is ok.
whenever you flash a custom rom, it says whatever they want it so say in the ruu, so even if it doesnt say 1.12.651.1, that doesnt mean that it is downgraded, it is just the version of the custom rom builders rom.

HERE IS THE BOTTOM
ok, for those vista/mac/linux users, there is another method of flashing., courtesy of pnyce777 in post #42 and on. this method is via the sd card. it is not required that you do step one if your card is already fat32. i will update this post as we gain more knowledge

1. Format your MicroSD card to FAT32 (YES - FAT 32 32 32!! not just plain old FAT) (again, this is not required if your card is already fat32; it is ok to have other data on the card). I have read that the card needs to be 2gb or smaller, though I'm not sure how much truth, if any, there is to that...
2. Extract the .NBH you desire to flash from the exe or zip or w/e put it on the microsd card rename it from RUU_signed.nbh to VOGUIMG.NBH
3.Put the MicroSD card in your phone and Get To the BOOTLOADER screen (camer+power+reset) it should then start updating with the .NBH on the SD card and the procedure should begin automatically.

you can also use this procedure to unlock your phone by flashing the .nbh from Cokemans unlocker just extract it and rename it VOGUIMG.NBH or if your stuck at that HTC screen and cant sync because your phone wont boot up.

i will try to provide support on this as i can, but as i have never used this method myself, pnyce777 is probably a far better resource if he is available and willing.

sorry this is now so long, wasnt supposed to be in the first place. but if you're not already used to a lot of reading, this is a good first step, because you will need to be doing a LOT of reading.

GPS/REV A STUFF:
Quick How-To for gps/rev a flash/upgrade
IMPORTANT!!! ONLY SPRINT users follow below steps 5 and 8-11!! Altell users can follow all the steps except step 5 as long as they use a different ppst.exe, not the one mentioned below.

ok well i just made up this list a while ago to help someone out, and have ended up giving it to quite a few ppl now, so i figured i might as well post it here under an appropriate title for all to easily see and access.

i know dharvey wrote a great tutorial, and that there are prob others, but..what the heck. plus this is pretty quick and easy, though i cant say that it is as full and thought out and great as dharvey4651's (thx man!)...

"#1- Backup all pim info and anything else you might want (yes flashing will erase/wipe out E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!!)
#2- Ensure you are currently running your carriers original official oem rom (os and radio) (if you have never flashed it at all then dont worry youre good to go).
#3- Unlock using imcokemans 2.31 unlocker (this for gps roms)
#4- run the sprint leaked rom.exe (here, close to the bottom where it says "original rom")
#5- SPRINT ONLY: allow all customizations to complete and run (i know - it takes a lil while)
#6- flash to desired gps(/rev a) enabled rom (should be a 3.xx rom)
#7- after she's all booted up, hard-reset.
#8- download and run cab from here (altell users run your own ppst stuff, non-sprint and non-altell users SKIP TO STEP 12): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=139
#9- allow soft-rest.
#10- navigate to \windows folder and run ppst.exe
#11- allow soft reset.
#12- allow boot-up, customize, restore pim info etc...

credit to boggsie and so many others..."

----------------------------------
If I've helped you out, $1 would be more than appreciated! donate. thanks

Last edited by jim2561; 06-26-2008 at 11:47 PM.
This post has been thanked 33 times.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

DesiChora is keeping up the good workDesiChora is keeping up the good work
Nicely written. Thanks!

.:":. HTC EVO.:":.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
No charge for Awesomeness
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP
Excellent walk through. I used it myself!

Spread the thanks! Click http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/images/but...ost_thanks.gif if someone helps you!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

bugzy is keeping up the good workbugzy is keeping up the good work
Thanks !! worked
Old 02-02-2008, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue

PlainShane is a n00b
Thank you, please keep updated with specifics as you find inspiration to do so.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff
will do, glad i could help you guys.

anyone who see's any errors i made, or things i could mention or say better, please feel free to let me know via pm/posting here.

thanks.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

bugzy is keeping up the good workbugzy is keeping up the good work
Im not sure if its important to mention, but it took a really long time to boot after the burn for the first time.

I did hard reset, and still took long time to boot, seems to just be because i havent hard reset the device before. But maybe mentioning it, that it stays on the Windows green screen for lil while, just to wait.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
Im not sure if its important to mention, but it took a really long time to boot after the burn for the first time.

I did hard reset, and still took long time to boot, seems to just be because i havent hard reset the device before. But maybe mentioning it, that it stays on the Windows green screen for lil while, just to wait.
ya, that is very common after flashing/hard-resetting. this is just the process during which the device is restoring itself to its original state and configuring and installing apps via whatever rom image you have on it, which would obviously take some time.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC HD2 (HTC Leo)
Carrier: T-Mobile

TRUELIGHT knows their stuffTRUELIGHT knows their stuffTRUELIGHT knows their stuffTRUELIGHT knows their stuffTRUELIGHT knows their stuffTRUELIGHT knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TRUELIGHT Send a message via MSN to TRUELIGHT Send a message via Yahoo to TRUELIGHT
Error [240] : File Open

The Update Utility can not open the requested file. Please check your Update Utility
THIS IS THE ERROR MESSAGE I GET WHEN I TRY (baseKit-V Build 104.rar) ROM ON MY TOUCH HELP PLEASE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2561 View Post
remember this COULD PERMANANTLY ruin your phone.

for those who don't know this, flashing your phone also performs the same functions a hard reset would. all your previous apps, contacts, registry tweaks, etc will be gone. also, when you flash someone elses custom rom onto your device, keep in mind that they may have cooked in their own apps and registry tweaks.

ok, go ahead and go to this http://rapidshare.com/files/88672966/RUU.zip.html rapidshare link, and download the ruu.zip there.

download whatever rom image you want.

then, get imcokeman 's latest vogue unlocker tool.

for those who arent sure, you never have to have ActiveSync synchronized for this to work. you just have to have it connected, with ActiveSync recognizing that the device is there and plugged in.

1. backup all contacts/data/etc..
2. ensure your device is connected to your pc via activesync.
3. run imcokeman 's vogue unlocker and follow ALL instructions in the command prompt exactly .
4. once you have booted back up into wm and are connected to activesync again (dont worry about setting up your device again because you're just going to flash it agian and erase all that in a second anyway) extract the ruu.zip to somewhere convenient.
5. stick the rom you downloaded (should be something.nbh) into the RUU folder from the rapidshare link.
6. press and hold both the camera button and the power button (top), and poke the stylus into the reset hole. you should then be presented with the tricolor screen and near the top you should see something like coke 0.4.0.
7. run ROMUpdateUtility.exe in the ruu folder you downloaded and extracted.
8. follow the steps, be patient, be careful, and whala!
9. thank imcokeman and whoever you downloaded your rom image from.

good luck.

mods please make sticky as many people are unclear on how to flash. thanks.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:50 AM
No charge for Awesomeness
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Musicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIPMusicman247 is a VIP
Mkae sure you follow the directions exactly.

You have to extract the .nbh file from the rar and put that nbh file in to the ruu folder.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development