PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 05:39 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

sniggle is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Lock up in the middle of the night

For about 2-3 months now my Sprint Touch Pro has started randomly locking up while charging in the middle of the night. It seems to only happen while charging, although I rarely do not charge in the middle of the night so I'm not totally sure if that's the culprit, but the phone does not lock up during the day during normal use. It seems that about 30% of the time I'll wake up to find the charge light either solid or still showing indication that it is charging but the phone will not wake up or respond to anything, and even unplugging it will not change the charging indication light.

Anyone else have issues like this? This has been happening with multiple different roms so I have a feeling it's a hardware problem. I may start charging it about an hour before I go to bed so it's fully charged and then leave it unplugged all night and see if that makes a difference. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (USC)
Carrier: US Cellular

snipper_cr is just getting started
Re: Lock up in the middle of the night

I've had that happen before. Maybe not as often, but has happened. That's how I learned REALLY quickly to not trust my TP as an alarm to wake up to for work/school.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Jitterbug

titaniumgiant is becoming a great contributor

how often do you reset your device i.e. pull battery or press button wtih stylus and give it a clean start? I do mine once every 2 days and dont ahve that problem. i learned that from the blackberrys..they would go haywire if not rebooted giving all types of problems from freezes to data connect failures etc. i think you should reboot yours at least once every 2 days..
Old 11-28-2009, 06:08 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

I started rebooting more often but it doesn't seem to fully help. This has happened when doing a fresh reboot before going to bed. My biggest problem is that I need to be available in case of work emergencies so I will need to replace the phone if I can't figure it out.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Where do u keep it when its charing? is it under your pillow? If so, that could be your problem, if it gets too warm, it probably is locking up...cuz it does get warm when charging and per the manual..thats normal..but if under pillow no way for the heat to escape and gets even warmer..thats one..second try a stock rom and see if that makes any difference?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

could also be just your device... how frequently is it locking up? every other day? every day?
Old 11-28-2009, 06:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (USC)

snipper_cr is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniggle View Post
I started rebooting more often but it doesn't seem to fully help. This has happened when doing a fresh reboot before going to bed. My biggest problem is that I need to be available in case of work emergencies so I will need to replace the phone if I can't figure it out.
In my experience with this phone, I would NOT trust it for ANY mission critical applications. Personal and light business use is fine. However, if I had a need for emergency contact I would keep a simple, conventional "dumb" phone. Smart phones are great but still seem a bit to new to fully trust imho.

Personally, I am worried about the day I face an emergency and have to dial 911. Will my phone get stuck drawing the keypad? Will it be frozen and I have to softreset (thus waiting 2 minutes?)? Like I said, I've already started off loading mission critical stuff to other device. I DO use my phone as my "backup" alarm. IE my main alarm clock is set for one time, and this one set for 5 minutes later but even then, I am Leary of it working properly.

Cautions aside, I really DO love this phone!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:55 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipper_cr View Post
In my experience with this phone, I would NOT trust it for ANY mission critical applications. Personal and light business use is fine. However, if I had a need for emergency contact I would keep a simple, conventional "dumb" phone. Smart phones are great but still seem a bit to new to fully trust imho.

Personally, I am worried about the day I face an emergency and have to dial 911. Will my phone get stuck drawing the keypad? Will it be frozen and I have to softreset (thus waiting 2 minutes?)? Like I said, I've already started off loading mission critical stuff to other device. I DO use my phone as my "backup" alarm. IE my main alarm clock is set for one time, and this one set for 5 minutes later but even then, I am Leary of it working properly.

Cautions aside, I really DO love this phone!
Yeah this is the truth. Windows Mobile really is a pile and it's amazing what we all put up with to be able to tweak to our hearts content.

The stock rom is probably a good idea but even if that fixes it I won't want the phone. The only reason I chose it is to be able to tweak it and put whatever rom I want on it. This is not to say I'm running all sorts of stuff that would make it unstable since it never does lock up during the day.

I keep my phone on the carpeted floor next to my bed so it can vibrate from emails and not wake me up but I can hear it ringing easily. I suppose the back of it could be getting too warm while charging which is why I think I'll try never charging it overnight anymore.

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Old 11-29-2009, 09:07 AM
N00b

Xian is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Xian

I've had this happen sporadically in the past. Never quite sure what fixed it either.

I think when mine started doing this semi-frequently, I opted for a hard reboot and/or a new ROM.

Are you running a custom rom? Or any automated tasks?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:10 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to raidzero

I had this happen on every TP I have seen, every ROM and/or SYS build I have used. I do nto think the phone is getting hot at all on my nightstand. It doesn't happen frequently since I started making my own ROM's (not really sure what I am doing differently than anyone else though-...) but it did happen once with build 28004. It happens to my users (not of my rom, just users I support at work - I got everyone who had an email account a TP - regret...) very frequently. This is also my wife's number 1 complaint. We got her a phone to replace the home phone.. again, a bit of a regret with a TP. After unsuccessfully begging for a TP2 from sprint, I flashed her back to stock and relocked and did a few hard resets, then unlocked and reflashed to my latest 23511 and will see how it goes for her. I do not blame software in any way for this, I believe this is a hardware issue with all touch pro devices.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro