PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: LG Fathom VS750Z v5.06
Carrier: Verizon

SrgWallopy is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Phone.

I'm thinking of getting a new phone. The HTC Touch Pro, I like it how it looks rather than the touch pro 2 and i can get the touch pro for around $100. So what i'm asking is, is it a good phone? what are the ups and down's of it?, i currently upgraded my plan from an alltel one to a verizon one, and they said i cannot use my HTC 6800 anymore becuase of this. and they cannot switch the plan back to the alltel one. what a rip right? i have about a year left so i'm searching thouroughly through ebay to find a good phone for about a year (Hopefully longer), i wouldn't mind an android but with WM i feel like i can do so much more with. Excpecially since there are so many supports sites and free apps out there. (as in the community is better). But anyway's, i just wanted to know if it is a good phone and if it isn't what i should watch out for about it. Any input would be helpful.!! Thanks!!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Stupid-Ass Skull Cruncha
Pocket PC: iPhone 5... Y Que?
Carrier: Esprin'

AZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation levelAZTECHKA can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: New Phone.

You'll surely get lots of hits on this and many different answers. I would say don't get the Touch Pro on Verizon. That phone was crippled by big red and has half the Ram of other TPs. It also had a few other crippling issues. I know what you mean though about the looks. I had the Sprint version and therefore now my wife does. lol. But she LOVES it and would hate to get the TP2.
Good luck either way bro.
p.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Sound strange they would change you over to Verizon plan and not allow you to port over your phone. I would double check that.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Eris
Carrier: Verizon

Singer_Actor is a n00b

Dont get the touch pro. Its awful. Function wise, its okay. But Im on my 5th one and iv had nothing but problems. (mines broken BTW)
Go with google android dude. Windows mobile is just... suckish.
Dont get it.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldehoyos View Post
You'll surely get lots of hits on this and many different answers. I would say don't get the Touch Pro on Verizon. That phone was crippled by big red and has half the Ram of other TPs. It also had a few other crippling issues.
+1 on this... I have the Sprint version (which is identical to the Alltel version). You will get a lot of people telling you different things - some saying don't get it, others saying do.

One thing to consider - the TP has been declared by Sprint to be their most problematic device with the highest service rate of any smartphone (or maybe even of any phone). It has inherent keyboard issues (bad design on the cable causes it to flake out). It has a tendancy to stop charging if you have it plugged in and are using the data or other radios at the same time (i.e. plugged into car charger and using internet based navigation like Google Maps or TeleNav) because it gets too hot. Also, the chrome cracks and flakes off and the navigation pad on the front doesn't stay flush. I've personally experienced all but the keyboard issues, the last two items of which are primarily cosmetic and have never affected the performance of my phone (I'm one of the lucky few that is still on my first Touch Pro). A lot of people on the forums have experienced the keyboard issue and have gone through several devices.

Now, that being said, I've been perfectly happy with my Touch Pro and as I said am still on my first one. I love how easy it has been to flash and customize my ROM, I've found ways around the overheating issue, and just overall love the way the thing runs. I personally am struggling over whether or not to move up to a TP2 - I like the bigger screen, but no flash is kind of a deal breaker for me, I use the one on my TP a LOT (mostly as a flash light, not for taking pics... lol)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro