PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 12:28 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

dave01978 is keeping up the good workdave01978 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should I be afraid of a refurb

Ok so i spent a few hours today on the phone with advance tech support a couple times today, my phone keeps loosing the data connection. So they tell me i can get a blackberry, palm, something else, or another touch pro.

Now before i make a choice i want to go in and look at them, she added to my notes to allow me to swap phones. but my fear with reading all the issues with the refurb TP's Not sure if I want to go into a different OS.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

Old 11-24-2009, 12:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

kilen is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via Yahoo to kilen
Re: Should I be afraid of a refurb

What specifically were they phones that were offered?
EVO 4G > Sprint Hero > Sprint Touch Pro > Sprint Treo Pro > Sprint Touch Pro > Sprint Touch Diamond > Sprint Touch > AT&T Tilt > AT&T Blackjack II > Blackberry Pearl > Dell X51 > Dell X5 > HP iPaq > Palm IIIxe > Palm Pilot
Old 11-24-2009, 02:42 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

fenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave01978 View Post
Ok so i spent a few hours today on the phone with advance tech support a couple times today, my phone keeps loosing the data connection. So they tell me i can get a blackberry, palm, something else, or another touch pro.

Now before i make a choice i want to go in and look at them, she added to my notes to allow me to swap phones. but my fear with reading all the issues with the refurb TP's Not sure if I want to go into a different OS.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave
The problem with refurbished phone is that they usually are returns... they might be returned for any reason, some good (just didnt like it) and some bad (the dreaded bad keyboard issue...). I'd prefer a new TP or a different phone at all, especially with the TP having the common issue with the keyboard (which is the most likely reason for the return).

ROM: DamageControl 3.1.2
Radio: Stock +upgrade (for now)
Old 11-24-2009, 04:27 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint Sero

MinLo is keeping up the good workMinLo is keeping up the good workMinLo is keeping up the good work

IMO other than the option for a TP2, all the other phones are a downgrade....

If you paid full contract renewal price for your TP your losing $100+.....

I would be just as afraid of a NIB that I would with a refurb, the TP is just faulty......

If they didn't offer you a TP2 and don't mind downgrading and losing money value for a more reliable device do it....

Otherwise go with the NIB/Refurb TP its bound to break and the next Sprint store stop your chances of them upgrading you to TP2 increase....LOL

My TP had hardware problems today and they gave me a NIB TP2, but this was my 4th trip for hardware failure in 6 months....
Old 11-24-2009, 08:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: htc touc pro
Carrier: sprint

shaakezula is just getting started

be afraid...be VERY afraid...i' on mt 4th yes FOURTH touch pro in 13 months...after countless calls, irate screaming, endless hours with sprint, assurion ect..they FINALLY offered me an upgraded fone (1st asked me to pay then FINALLY came to their senses when i asked for the retention center to cancel) so they offered me a touch pro 2 IF i re-upped for another 2 years...same dang issues with the t/pro
keyboard would malfunction and QUIT working
fone would overheat
fone wouldn't even ring and tons of missed calls
fone would freeze between landscape n portrait mode
foone stopped syncing with pc

u get stuck is this ENDLESS refurbished cycle and it NEVER EVER ENDS!..
this is a multi billion dollar comglomerate..you mean to tell me if u have a customer (which you CLAIM to care so much about) that has a broken fone 4 times in a year, u CAN'T send out a NEW replacement fone? not even an upgrade but a NEW fone in which we spent in excess of 4-500$ on? and your ONLY solution is to send us someone else's broken pos? PSSSSSSSSSSSSH no wonder your 4th in the cell fone wars/ratings
so after that rant i got what i wanted...
Old 11-24-2009, 05:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6900
Carrier: sprint

JSMZ is becoming a great contributor

I agree, be very afraid. I had like 5 replacements all with major problems before i settled for one with a slightly raised screen. now that is starting to lift off the phone. I had pictures of all my touch pros with all their various defects.

ahh, here are some pictures from the beginning.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=187773
Old 11-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO 4G-EVO 3D-Acer Iconia A500

gmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuffgmfeny knows their stuff

I have a refurbished Touch Pro, I had it for a couple months and its running great. No problems at all.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

dave01978 is keeping up the good workdave01978 is keeping up the good work

well i know last night she mentioned a few, and i was kinda falling asleep so I went to a store today, and look and try them, basically the notes where not super detailed said i was coming in to look at other phones, well the guy was helpfull told me it didnt say, but reccomended the TP2 based on plan, older fair flex, with $15 data, said others would require other data plan, told me that they could not do the swap in store, to call them back, called them back got the run around again, got back to advanced tech support, said i need to go to store, and they dont do swaps. (the woman last night had to check a couple times with manager) well i put the guy in store on phone, he talks to him, comes back gives me the phone and says there getting a supervisor, well about 5 mins later he and the manager come up to me and said just hang up, we will give you a new TP2.

So I left there with a new TP2, so I am like super happy tonight cant wait to flash it later tonight.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

i'm glad you got a tp2, it's what the tp should've been in the first place. to be honest with you, the refurbed tps were better than the nib tps. but if you power-use them, they break really easy.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G

WanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuffWanderingMinstrel knows their stuff

I'm in the minority here. But what's there to be afraid of?
If a refurb breaks, you take it back and exchange it for another one.
Before the TP2 came out, there was a month where I went through 5 TP refurbs -- one after the other. The 6th one was perfect. And after 6 months of power-use and heavy-duty surfing, it's still perfect.
If it stops, being perfect, after those 6 exchanges, I'm an easy candidate for a free TP2 upgrade. If it keeps being perfect, I'll just hang on to it and wait for whatever the next-generation latest and greatest model turns out to be when it's time to renew my contract.
Like the Man said, "Nothing to fear but fear itself."
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro