PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2009, 11:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc pro
Carrier: sprint

htcpro25 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Does GPS ever just 'go bad'?

same problem here just started today
Old 10-30-2009, 12:13 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro CDMA
Carrier: Telus

stimpson is a n00b

Same problem here starting Wednesday at 5:30 in Kingston Ontario on Telus (I was on Oct 25 23081 EnergyROM)...I flashed back to stock and the issue is still there

...and does the stock rom have quickgps?

I hesitate to change my radio since I have already requested a new unit from Telus, and they will deliver next week..
Old 10-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Bell

nhvoltagenh is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpson View Post
Same problem here starting Wednesday at 5:30 in Kingston Ontario on Telus (I was on Oct 25 23081 EnergyROM)...I flashed back to stock and the issue is still there

...and does the stock rom have quickgps?

I hesitate to change my radio since I have already requested a new unit from Telus, and they will deliver next week..

kinda lost, if you flashed to another rom.. why not just a radio. it does fix the issue, as you can see above.

Last edited by nhvoltagenh; 10-30-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Lurker

stimpson is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhvoltagenh View Post
kinda lost, if you flashed to another rom.. why not just a radio. it does fix the issue, as you can see above.
I flashed to the stock rom before I read this thread.

The telus radio on my phone is a 1.07 version, and I can only see a 1.04 telus radio to get back to for when I return this phone to Telus.

I guess part of my question is...if this is about quickgps how can it be affecting me after I go back to the telus stock rom without quickgps?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

messageliu is a n00b

update your radio is the final solution!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 01:15 AM
Lurker

stimpson is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by messageliu View Post
update your radio is the final solution!!!
PERHAPS....

I decided to go ahead and flash my radio...so I flashed the 1.07.06 US Cellular which was the closest to the radio on the phone (1.07.01) and still had the issue....so flashed 1.12.34 sprint radio and it did fix the issue so far.....lets hope so!

Given that the issue is seen even with a stock rom without the quickgps or quickgps file, does this mean the quickgps problem must actually screw up part of the radio settings or code?

But then why did flashing 1.07.06 to my phone not fix the issue...and I think there was someone else in this thread that tried 2 or three radios and it didn't fix the issue....

Old 10-30-2009, 02:15 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TP
Carrier: Bell

joeward is a n00b

Ok guys I saw somebody in the Diamond section saying he never flashed his phone but still experiencing problems like us...

is it just me but when I let the phone do an auto update of the time for some reason the phone always puts me on the different time zone... +1 (from my time) actually... -4 instead of my -5 (can anybody check this ?)
I don't know if anybody took my suggestion seriously but the DST time could have something to do with this ? maybe the CDMA clock itself is just spoofing time for a week b4 the old DST time kicks in (which is this sunday) this would mean the CDMA Time would be an hour before the quickgps "time". ( GPS positioning has a lot to do with the relation of a signal sent on a certain time clock... It has to be accurate all the time) I didn't have this phone exactly a year ago so I can't tell if there was an issue in 2008 .

I understand flashing the radio will fix my problem, but I normally flash stuff when I know it can go back to the exact original state and for Bell I can't do that...

I know that some Sprint rom actually do touch the radio somehow maybe this is why some people have success going back to stock rom...again for Bell Mo this is not the case...
Old 10-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Liamfm is a n00b

Anyone in Arizona want to chime in? Since they don't do DST maybe the cell towers there are giving the "correct" time to QGPS and not causing it to crash.

I'm thinking if nothing else we have to wait 2 more days to see if it comes back to normal.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:41 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff
Smile Re: Does GPS ever just 'go bad'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeward View Post
it is called xtra.bin and it is located in the \windows folder....
In that case, here is a copy on my expired xtra.bin (you will need to unzip it)... After you disable updates in QuickGPS, copy this to your \windows directory and soft boot...
Attached Files
File Type: zip xtra.zip (32.5 KB, 454 views) Click for barcode!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 AM
Lurker

stimpson is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeward View Post

I don't know if anybody took my suggestion seriously but the DST time could have something to do with this ? maybe the CDMA clock itself is just spoofing time for a week b4 the old DST time kicks in (which is this sunday) this would mean the CDMA Time would be an hour before the quickgps "time". ( GPS positioning has a lot to do with the relation of a signal sent on a certain time clock... It has to be accurate all the time) I didn't have this phone exactly a year ago so I can't tell if there was an issue in 2008 .
You are right that getting a GPS fix is all about having the correct time between the device and the satellites..

I did have the time +1 hr problems with some rom's I have tried but not with the ones that I had the GPS problems with. Strange that mine at least sometimes got an accurate fix before it crashed.

Hope this goes away on Sunday.....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro