PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint (for now.)

xhorntail is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Does GPS ever just 'go bad'?

I was having this issue as well.. Then I read that bit about DST. DST ended just a couple days ago, which is when most people started having the issue.

My state, AZ, does not observe DST, so to change the time on my clock to the correct time, and have my appointments still match up I had to switch over to visiting GMT -7 Mountain US. After reading the bit about DST possibly being the issue, I switched back to home, GMT -7 Arizona US. GPS seems to be working fine for now.

Try double checking your time settings, do a soft reset, and then try again. If still no go, I would imagine QuickGPS's servers had a bug when they switched DST off.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:18 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: LG 4G
Carrier: Sprint

n8pu is a n00b

I'm waiting to hear from a few of you that the QuickGPS download is back working again. I ended up doing a hard reset on my (Altell brand) Touch Pro again, I don't know what happened the last time when I put the expired 'extra.bin' file in the 'temp' folder and the 'windows' folder but for what ever reason I had to do a hard reset to get my phone back working properly minus the GPS function(s) but usable everywhere else. Mine is still a factory stock rom.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Carrier: VZW

Seriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8pu View Post
I'm waiting to hear from a few of you that the QuickGPS download is back working again. I ended up doing a hard reset on my (Altell brand) Touch Pro again, I don't know what happened the last time when I put the expired 'extra.bin' file in the 'temp' folder and the 'windows' folder but for what ever reason I had to do a hard reset to get my phone back working properly minus the GPS function(s) but usable everywhere else. Mine is still a factory stock rom.

With all the people saying they went back to STOCK roms, how do we still think it is a QuickGPS issue? My stock Verizion Rom doesn't even have QGPS in it. So replacing the files talked about makes no sense, since they are not there on stock rom anyway.
Ive tried several radio/rom combinations, and still have no gps, and there is no qgps currently installed on my phone, so the issue for me at least, is something else, right.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint PCS

psiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuffpsiphi knows their stuff

I think we will have to wait at least until November 9th when DST ended all over the world for more than a week, since QuickGPS can contain up to one weeks data... If we still have a problem after then, I bet they just updated all the HTC Subcontractor Workstations to Windows 7...
Old 11-05-2009, 05:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: LG 4G

n8pu is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiphi View Post
...If we still have a problem after then, I bet they just updated all the HTC Subcontractor Workstations to Windows 7...
Never thought of that, I'm a windows user myself so I should have thought of that myself,

About the Verizon phone not having QuickGPS, they lock down their phones to much to suit me. I'll stay with them as long as they don't mess with my Alltel contract, other wise I may be forced to look for internet service through someone else. Cable internet isn't in my area, WILL NOT go with DSL though local phone company and if I don't have to, not wanting to lay out extra $$ for Satellite. Sorry for getting off topic.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

flacoman91 is just getting started
Thumbs down Re: Does GPS ever just 'go bad'?

surprised to see people still having problems.

Seriously, flash to a different radio. Both my brother and I started having problems with our diamonds about the same time.

Trying to flash to stock roms, custom roms, etc didn't do anything. the extra bin file didnt do anything.

but i went ahead and flashed to a sprint 1.12 rom and everything works fine. Told my brother the same thing, and his was fixed too after he flashed to new radio rom. and no, it doesn't wipe out any of your data.

http://www.everythingdiamond.info/showthread.php?t=43
Old 11-05-2009, 08:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC
Carrier: Provider

sfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiphi View Post
I think we will have to wait at least until November 9th when DST ended all over the world for more than a week, since QuickGPS can contain up to one weeks data... If we still have a problem after then, I bet they just updated all the HTC Subcontractor Workstations to Windows 7...
Actually it looks like Qualcomm runs the servers, not HTC. HTC probably wrote and/or branded the QuickGPS download tool though.

http://www.whois.org/whois/gpsonextra.net

Quote:
Domain ID:
Domain Name: gpsonextra.net
Created On: 28-Oct-2009 00:00:00
Expiration Date: 01-Dec-2010 00:00:00
Sponsoring Registrar: MELBOURNE IT (MELBOURNEIT)
Name Server: ns0.gpsonextra.net
Name Server: ns1.gpsonextra.net
Registrant ID: Unknown
Registrant Name: QUALCOMM Incorporated
Registrant Organization: QUALCOMM Incorporated
Registrant Street1: 5775 Morehouse Drive
Registrant Street2: Unknown
Registrant Street3: Unknown
Registrant City: San Diego
Registrant State/Province: CA
Registrant Postal Code: 92121
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.8586515957
Registrant Fax: +1.8586513333
Registrant Email: hostmast@qualcomm.com
Admin ID: Unknown
Admin Name: Inc. .
Admin Organization: Qualcomm Inc.
Admin Street1: 5775 Morehouse Drive
Admin Street2: Unknown
Admin Street3: Unknown
Admin City: San Diego
Admin State: CA
Admin Postal Code: 92121
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.8586513070
Admin Fax: +1.8586511786
Admin Email: hostmast@qualcomm.com

Last edited by sfhub; 11-05-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 - Energy 6.5 ROM

Erythros is keeping up the good workErythros is keeping up the good work

I too had this problem after using gps flawlessly for so long.
Long story short, also solved with radio upgrade.
Wish I knew that before Hard reseting.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: PPC
Carrier: Provider

sfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsfhub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
With all the people saying they went back to STOCK roms, how do we still think it is a QuickGPS issue? My stock Verizion Rom doesn't even have QGPS in it. So replacing the files talked about makes no sense, since they are not there on stock rom anyway.
Ive tried several radio/rom combinations, and still have no gps, and there is no qgps currently installed on my phone, so the issue for me at least, is something else, right.
If your read carefully, it isn't necessarily a "QuickGPS", which is just a tool which downloads some GPS satellite location info, issue. It is likely the data set being downloaded by QuickGPS is reacting poorly with some radio versions. That data set is produced by Qualcomm for A-GPS usage. It is possible that data set can be retrieved by many methods, one of which we know is QuickGPS. It is possible the problem with the data set percolated into other A-GPS mechanisms besides the data set QuickGPS is downloading. I'd ask you a similar question, how do you know the data set isn't being used by your phone?

If you are getting cold GPS locks in under 20 seconds, then you are getting assistance for your GPS from somewhere and you are likely exposed to this problem in some way. There are probably other variables we aren't aware of, so nobody can say for sure you would or wouldn't see the problem. Probably someone at Qualcomm knows exactly what is up and can say for sure, but they aren't speaking

If you have no way of replacing xtra.bin, try a new radio. It won't affect your OS install and you can rollback to different radio if it doesn't work.

Last edited by sfhub; 11-05-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II
Carrier: VZW

Seriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSeriously is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
If your read carefully, it isn't necessarily a "QuickGPS", which is just a tool which downloads some GPS satellite location info, issue. It is likely the data set being downloaded by QuickGPS is reacting poorly with some radio versions. That data set is produced by Qualcomm for A-GPS usage. It is possible that data set can be retrieved by many methods, one of which we know is QuickGPS. It is possible the problem with the data set percolated into other A-GPS mechanisms besides the data set QuickGPS is downloading. I'd ask you a similar question, how do you know the data set isn't being used by your phone?

If you are getting cold GPS locks in under 20 seconds, then you are getting assistance for your GPS from somewhere and you are likely exposed to this problem in some way. There are probably other variables we aren't aware of, so nobody can say for sure you would or wouldn't see the problem. Probably someone at Qualcomm knows exactly what is up and can say for sure, but they aren't speaking

If you have no way of replacing xtra.bin, try a new radio. It won't affect your OS install and you can rollback to different radio if it doesn't work.
If you read my post carefully, you can see that I have traded out several radio/rom (1.12.20F, 1.03.03V R, 1.03.09V, 1.03.15F, and now on 1.12.34F) combinations. Still no joy. Also, as I was saying, on a clean (no qgps) rom or on stock rom without qgps, there is no xtra.bin file to change. So, I am just saying that in my case, probably others, that file is not the issue.
I am going to keep trying radio's until I have tried them all, and hopefully I will come across that magic combo.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro