PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Saving contacts to SD card (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=92134)

Pele2048 10-23-2009 12:38 PM

Saving contacts to SD card

Before I flash my phone, I'd like to save my contacts to the SD card.

Unfortunately, I do not run Windows on my computer at home and it will not Sync with Mozilla Thunderbird.

I'd like to save my contacts as a file on the SD card.

A search for "Contacts" found way too many hits on this site, most of them to do with the changes in updated ROMs.

Any procedure on how to do this?

derynhaze 10-23-2009 12:44 PM

Re: Saving contacts to SD card

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pele2048 (Post 1257825)
Before I flash my phone, I'd like to save my contacts to the SD card.

Unfortunately, I do not run Windows on my computer at home and it will not Sync with Mozilla Thunderbird.

I'd like to save my contacts as a file on the SD card.

A search for "Contacts" found way too many hits on this site, most of them to do with the changes in updated ROMs.

Any procedure on how to do this?

1. Find the "PIM.VOL" file on your phone and copy it to your card. (it's in my device)
2. Flash your phone
3. Phone will generate another PIM.VOL file
4. Rename that new one to PIM2.vol
5. Copy your PIM.VOL file from card back to phone
6. restart
7. delete PIM2.vol

elmerfudpucker 10-23-2009 12:59 PM

Find Pimbackup.cab, it will save all your contacts, texts and a few others. It will run from the card and save to the card!

z0mbiexx 10-23-2009 12:59 PM

PimBackup

[sammich] 10-23-2009 01:01 PM

I would NOT recommend the PIM.vol method. Although this may work, many times it will not be able to be read by the ROM if you flash a new version.

Use PPCPimBackup. Install it to your device, run the program, and select what categories you would like to backup. Save the file it generates to your SD card. On your new ROM, install the program again and restore the contacts/appointments using the file you saved.

derynhaze 10-23-2009 01:05 PM

the method I stated worked fine on any rom i've ever flashed.. but do what you want, you've got other great options listed

[sammich] 10-23-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derynhaze (Post 1257905)
the method I stated worked fine on any rom i've ever flashed.. but do what you want, you've got other great options listed

I'm not try to play down what you suggested... use what works for you! But you will most likely experience issues if you go in major leaps in your ROM trasitions.

For example: Using a Mogul PIM on a Touch Pro 2 will most likely result in the inability to view your contacts.

Using a WM5 PIM with WM6.5 will most DEFINITELY be an issue.

lostcausnjtown 10-23-2009 02:12 PM

If you have data service(most of us do) you can sign up for a free exchange server and www.alol.net.br. and then you can become flash happy because all you will need to do is set that up and they are there everytime.

johnboyinfl 10-23-2009 08:10 PM

the easiest back up solution is microsoft myphone. check out a demo from ctia and get some comparison information... myphone vs mobile me.

another solution is miq. i have not used this before.

if i have helped you, please be sure to hit the thanks button. :-)

Pele2048 12-01-2009 12:31 AM

I found a "pim" file with no extension under the root, "My Device" folder.
There is no "pim.vol" or "pimbackup.cab" file.

There's no F3 key or Find or Search function on this thing. There isn't even a DOS prompt where I can "dir /s filename.ext"
How the heck do you search for a file that's buried deep in a bunch of directories?

Due to my configuration... (Older Macintosh G4, so it won't run BootCamp or Virtual PC with any sort of speed.) I'd be hesitant to buy any sort of software that's not guaranteed to work.

Ugh. I shoulda either held out for the Droid or switched networks.