PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Herman Connecting to Activesync but Not Visible In Device Manager? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91442)

mort_subite 10-20-2009 01:15 AM

Herman Connecting to Activesync but Not Visible In Device Manager?

Just to set the record straight, I've been searching for the answer to this question for the last hour and a half, so hopefully I haven't missed something blatantly obvious.

A few months ago, I flashed my own Touch Pro to Cricket with some minor difficulty, but no major roadblocks. Taking a fancy to my phone, my friend bought a TP and asked me to flash it, which I happily obliged.
Not entirely remembering the steps I took to flash the device, I flashed the device using CMONEX and, believing the device to be unlocked, flashed Mighty Rom over that.
I then attempted to access EPST to do some pre-programming before I called Customer Service to get the ESN changed.
Upon discovering I couldn't enter EPST, I realised I had skipped the SPC re-programming step and did some more googling to find the video walkthrough I used when flashing my own TP. The video I began using was the youtube video by user Unlocktotalk entitled "How To Flash HTC Diamond To Cricket", not realising I was using the wrong walkthrough (I'm a bit dense today, apparently).
As per the instructions in the video, I connected via activesync, put the phone into DMR, checked to see what com port the device was installed on (com5) and fired up UniCDMA to figure out my SPC. Upon discovering there was no option for com5 in the drop down COM menu in UniCDMA, I decided to change the com port of the device.
At this point I went into the device manager and changed the com port from com5 to com2 (listed as unused by my PC). To be certain the com change stuck, I restarted my device and my PC. After confirming the com port change had taken effect (com port for my HTC device was listed as com2), I resumed where I left off in the Unlocktotalk Diamond tutorial.
Proceeding to the next step, I clicked on the memory tab and defined the Starting Address as 0x0155D1E7, the bit length as 6 and clicked "read and save to file".
Opening the resultant .bin returned an SPC code that read "AAAAAA". Realising now that I had gone the wrong route in obtaining the SPC, I did some more searching and found the video I used when flashing my own TP. The video entitled ""How To Flash A HTC Cell Phone To Cricket Or Metro" by Unlocktotalk on youtube.
Here, I downloaded GetSPC and obtained an SPC code and skipped ahead to the QPST step, only to discover my device was no longer listed on a com port.
Up until this very step (running GetSPC on my phone), the device had been listed on com2 under the device manager. Now, the device wouldn't even connect to activesync. A few more reboots of both the device and my PC, some USB port switches just to make sure I hadn't spontaneously blown a USB port and still no response.
I moved to another computer and found I could connect to activesync, but still no luck with the device being discovered under the device manager on a com port.
Frustrated, I unistalled and reinstalled activesync on the PC I had been using originally. This allowed me to connect to via activesync, but still no discovery under com listings in the device manager.

Also, not sure if it helps, but the SPC I obtained from GetSPC will not allow me to access the EPST settings for the device.

I've pretty much listed everything I've done with the phone up until this point and would appreciate any help in the matter.

Thank you in advance!

M.

Update #1

UPDATE (and bump)

It would seem that the device, when plugged in is listed in the device manager as a Network Adapter and is listed as "Windows Mobile Device #4". So basically, I've narrowed it down to the notion that windows is automatically installing the wrong drivers for the device. However, I can't get it to interrupt the automatic installation when I plug the device in. It automatically invokes the driver installation and doesn't prompt me with the Found New Hardware wizard.
I'm going to try to do this on a PC that's never even seen a WinMo device before and see if that helps. Will report back soon.

Anyone got any other ideas?

M.

Update #2

-facepalm- I just realised I flashed my friends Touch Pro with the Diamond HSPL by CMONEX. Nothing terribly bad seems to have come of it. Uh... anyone know if I royally screwed this up? As in, did I half-bork this device?

M.

mort_subite 10-20-2009 11:51 PM

Re: Herman Connecting to Activesync but Not Visible In Device Manager?

-double facepalm- It looks like I just failed to invoke DMR somewhere AFTER I flashed a new ROM and uninstalled Activesync, thus not invoking the proper driver download.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

Hopefully my idiocy helps someone else down the road.

M.