PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

hamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint Touch Pro : Can Not Disassemble -- did they make this tamper-proof?

I have read the Raphael pdf that details how to disassemble the Touch Pro, including various other sites and how-to's.

They all basically outline the following procedure for starters:

However, when trying to dismantle / disassemble mine, I can't because the black internal plastic frame that goes around the entire phone appears to be glued to the side of the phone's housing.

I can only remove the top portion that isn't attached to anything else (the only part that appears exposed).

The rest of the black plastic frame (some points of reference circled in red), I can't seem to even make it budge at all, not even in the least bit.

Did Sprint tamper-proof the latest Touch Pro's or something?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero, Touch Pro

boredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Sprint Touch Pro : Can Not Disassemble -- did they make this tamper-proof?

Lol, no.. You need a thin tool to stick betweeen the keyboard and the chrom around it.. Careful cuz it's easy to break. The whole keyboard will come out. From there you have access to the Keyboard ribbon, the screen ribbon, and more screws to remove the screen from the keyboard.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

hamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuffhamidxa knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmug View Post
Lol, no.. You need a thin tool to stick betweeen the keyboard and the chrom around it.. Careful cuz it's easy to break. The whole keyboard will come out. From there you have access to the Keyboard ribbon, the screen ribbon, and more screws to remove the screen from the keyboard.
I used a plastic knife.
I used an ultra thin steel knife.
I used a credit card.
I used a super thin and tiny flat head screw driver.

There is literally no space whatsoever between the keyboard and the phones frame, nor is there any apparent space/gaps anywhere to manipulate.

That gap that you see in the bottom left picture of the Raphael pdf document simply does not exist for me. Mine seems welded/glued/something shut...at least I think.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker

boredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It's NOT on the bottom of the phone. You actually pry the keyboard with the buttons out. The picture where it shows the red keys with the phone facing up. You pry the keyboard out.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
It's NOT on the bottom of the phone. You actually pry the keyboard with the buttons out. The picture where it shows the red keys with the phone facing up. You pry the keyboard out.
Ooooooooooooh

I feel like such an idiot now.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker

hehe.. No problem. Took me a little while to figure it out too. If ya don't mind hittin' tha thanks button bro?
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
hehe.. No problem. Took me a little while to figure it out too. If ya don't mind hittin' tha thanks button bro?
Ill keep on thanking you if you keep on answering!

OK these instructions on that pdf suck, at least suck to me, you in one fell swoop managed to explain more than that entire document with its pictures did.

So, after I have pried up the keyboard (which Ive done now, its just barely pried open), what should I do next?
Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler

Use a straight razor blade, as often found in exacto-knifes. You might want to dull it first though, so you don't inadvertently cut things you don't want cut. (I accidently cut through the keyboard button board when using it to remove the keyboard to do a swap, and it's a PITA to re-insert the button pad and affix the keyboard in the proper location when you've cut the button pad from the phone). What should have taken me 3min to do, took closer to 25 minutes to get everything properly aligned and put back together again.
Baseband: UCKJ3
Kernel: 2.6.35.7 - I997RUXG3-CL366622 user@netbook #Infusion-GB-CoreA
Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: ATT

k_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulark_semler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to k_semler Send a message via MSN to k_semler Send a message via Yahoo to k_semler Send a message via Skype™ to k_semler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamidxa View Post
So, after I have pried up the keyboard (which Ive done now, its just barely pried open), what should I do next?
Grab ahold and pull in the direction in which you wish to remove the keyboard. Make sure you don't see any metallic buttons on the backside of they keyboard before doing the pull. After you have removed the keyboard, (without metallic backing), insert the new keyboard, remove the plastic sticker gaurd, and make sure everything is lined up. After your keyboard flops into position, press down on the keyboard in an even fashon, (using index finger works). Applying equal force, slowly sweep your finger across the keyboard from one side to the other, Repeat procedure in the opposite direction. Open and close the face of the phone a few times to be sure you have applied the keyboard properly, and then open the phone and hold it upside down, (keyboard down), to be sure it is stuck properly. If it is applied properly, close your phone and start it up.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker

the keyboard and screen ribbons clip onto the mainboard. They just pop off. If you have something to get at them with you can just pop them off.. It's a little tough to get the keyboard one back on cuz it's so short, but it's do-able. What exactly are you trying to accomplish here? replace the keyboard or what?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro