PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Currently Looking For Replacement
Carrier: USCC

MysticThunder is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MysticThunder
Question Newb Question

Alright; I've owned various HTC's for almost 2 years. I love them.

Now, I am considering upgrading to a new one. At this point in time, the local retail stores for my carrier USCellular, do not carry the Touch Pro 2 in stock, they only carry the Touch Pro.

Is there anyway for me to purchase a TP2 from a different carrier, i.e. Verizon, and use it on USC?

Is this idea illegal? If not, is there a program used to "crack" the phone to be useable?

Or am I just simply doomed to the Touch Pro?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D
Carrier: Sprint

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff
Re: Newb Question

There's a couple of things to consider. #1 How did you get the TP on your carrier? Did you purchase it from them or from elsewhere. #2 is it CDMA or GSM? If GSM then you're probably good to go. #3 is your service like metro PCS? Can you port external phones to that service because they allow it? Some more info would be helpful. But I'm sure someone else with your service can help you out!

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

MysticThunder is a n00b

Ah!

Well, the phone is not on my carrier yet. This phone is programmed for Verizon Wireless. My carrier is US Cellular.

I believe USCC is a CDMA carrier, and every "unlocked" model of this particular phone I have found has been unlocked for GSM. Will this prevent me from using it?

I do not know if USCC will allow an external model to be used unless it is unlocked when brought into the store- [I get the feeling sales associates here are trained to just follow a process- they do not have any outside information than the steps they must follow.]; no one was able to answer that question for me when I called my provider earlier today.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:27 PM
Socrates Philosophy

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

Ok, #1 if it's CDMA and all the TP2's you've found so far are GSM, that's going to be a problem. A lot of people buy Sprint CDMA phones, have them unlocked and the ported to Verizon. Getting them unlocked is possible but sometimes it takes a little bit of work...

Now, if USCC does NOT allow the tp2 on their network, then you're out of luck.

The best thing to do before you get a TP2 is to find someone who is willing to help you. Most just read from a script and don't know the difference between, well anything. But every once in a while you'll find someone who does know and is willing to help you out.

So, maybe another member on here can share their experience with this and help you out.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

MysticThunder is a n00b

:] Thank you very much.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Socrates Philosophy

btw the titan is an excellent phone! I honestly wouldn't mind having the titan over the tp... the extra buttons make all the difference in the world. That and i don't run the tf3d so the titan was enough for my needs.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro