PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 01:31 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How important is stock rom when flashing?

I'm going to flash a 6.1 rom because of the issues I'm having with signal strength in 6.5. Do I really need to flash the stock rom, do a hard reset, THEN flash the 6.1 rom?

How important is that?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:51 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC
Carrier: Sprint

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP
Re: How important is stock rom when flashing?

I dont see any on my end, I been going back and forth 6.1/6.5 without starting from stock and had no issues.
Don't just say "Thanks"....give
Old 10-08-2009, 01:54 PM
i like turtles
Threadstarter

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

It doesn't seem logical to me, but I've seen more than one person (who more than likely knows more about the subject than me) say we should go back to stock, clear storage, then flash.

I'm just trying to get MR 4.16 on here. I'm sick of F'ing with my phone and I've heard nothing but good things about that rom. I'll miss my facebook and youtube integration though lol.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EPIC

Unknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIPUnknown Zone is a VIP

I know what you saying....I been eyeing..lol...the MR myself...but i saw a thread about people having issues with a 10 pause..here and there and other things, but on the other hand other people say it is much better rom then the orig.

Been running JD's TP5.1 since about 1/2 yr i think..it is the only one I like..without giving me anytype of issue...that other roms do.

If you do decide to go with the MR....do PM me about it..pro/cons and I might jump ship.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:57 PM
ThreeFaces

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronster View Post
I'm going to flash a 6.1 rom because of the issues I'm having with signal strength in 6.5. Do I really need to flash the stock rom, do a hard reset, THEN flash the 6.1 rom?

How important is that?
I typically recommend dudes do a stock flash only if they're experiencing strange issues with the phone...like it randomly freezes up and when you go to soft reset it, it hard resets the phone. VERY annoying. So I flashed to a Stock ROM, hard reset, flashed custom, hard reset...never happened again.

I should note, I flashed to another ROM thinking it was ROM specific and the issue followed me until I did the "stock flash dance".

So yea, I don't think it's necessary to go stock before every flash, but some dudes def do it as a matter of personal process.

...be a risk taker dude, just flash!

Hope that helps some.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Iphone

bennysangel is keeping up the good workbennysangel is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Zone View Post
I dont see any on my end, I been going back and forth 6.1/6.5 without starting from stock and had no issues.
I flashed from MR 6.5 to 6.1 today no problem. Just hard reset and soft reset after you flash.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:18 PM
DroidX_ZombieStomped
Pocket PC: DroidX

yearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the communityyearn is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to yearn

In my experience (and Iv flashed ALOT!) 9 times outta 10 it works perfect to go straight from 1 ROM to another.....but theres that 1 time it dont.
So my advice is always do it. it dont take that long to do and it beats the hell outta flashing a ROM and getting everything all set up and then you find a bug and your stuck wondering if its a bug in the ROM or if you got a bad flash.
So it eats at you till you end up flashing shipped anyway THEN setting your phone all back up all over again, LOL.
Especially if your planning on sticking with this ROM for a while and you prolly will cause I always end up back on MightyROM 4R3BORN final. Its just so damn smooth and stable.

Oh and by the way just in case you dont got it heres the Official Facebook app for your device. It works really well
Attached Files
File Type: cab Facebook_v1.0.0.7p.CAB (871.6 KB, 1 views) Click for barcode!

If I helped you out,Hit the THANKS
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:38 PM
ѕнρ ѕоfтшаяє
Pocket PC: EVO4G
Carrier: sprinт

Cicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIPCicatrize is a VIP

I've never had trouble flashing over custom roms with a hard SPL.

I'd recommend just running the updated Sprint ROM though...it's quite nice. Better than any of the custom 6.1 ROM's I've seen.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:47 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

well, I've never flashed 6.5 so I can't say, but from my experience with nueroms on the mogul, specifically nuekernel, flashing back to stock is the only way to get it back to "normal". since some 6.5 roms are finally including a new kernel I would be wary.
all that said, I did learn something (I really should look up from who one of these days)
the new sprint rom includes a updated PRI and the only method of flashing that includes it is fully booted via activesync. (ie. not bootloader)
Old 10-08-2009, 04:50 PM
i like turtles
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
well, I've never flashed 6.5 so I can't say, but from my experience with nueroms on the mogul, specifically nuekernel, flashing back to stock is the only way to get it back to "normal". since some 6.5 roms are finally including a new kernel I would be wary.
all that said, I did learn something (I really should look up from who one of these days)
the new sprint rom includes a updated PRI and the only method of flashing that includes it is fully booted via activesync. (ie. not bootloader)
So if I updated my phone with the new sprint rom, did it update the PRI for good, or was that lost after flashing mr 4.16?

I ended up downloading the new sprint rom to flash to, and mr 4.16 seems faster, but I dunno. I only played with it for about 20 minutes lol.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro