PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   How important is stock rom when flashing? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=89505)

chronster 10-08-2009 01:31 PM

How important is stock rom when flashing?

I'm going to flash a 6.1 rom because of the issues I'm having with signal strength in 6.5. Do I really need to flash the stock rom, do a hard reset, THEN flash the 6.1 rom?

How important is that?

Unknown Zone 10-08-2009 01:51 PM

Re: How important is stock rom when flashing?

I dont see any on my end, I been going back and forth 6.1/6.5 without starting from stock and had no issues.

chronster 10-08-2009 01:54 PM

It doesn't seem logical to me, but I've seen more than one person (who more than likely knows more about the subject than me) say we should go back to stock, clear storage, then flash.

I'm just trying to get MR 4.16 on here. I'm sick of F'ing with my phone and I've heard nothing but good things about that rom. I'll miss my facebook and youtube integration though lol.

Unknown Zone 10-08-2009 02:00 PM

I know what you saying....I been eyeing..lol...the MR myself...but i saw a thread about people having issues with a 10 pause..here and there and other things, but on the other hand other people say it is much better rom then the orig.

Been running JD's TP5.1 since about 1/2 yr i think..it is the only one I like..without giving me anytype of issue...that other roms do.

If you do decide to go with the MR....do PM me about it..pro/cons and I might jump ship. 8)

ThreeFaces 10-08-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster (Post 1222978)
I'm going to flash a 6.1 rom because of the issues I'm having with signal strength in 6.5. Do I really need to flash the stock rom, do a hard reset, THEN flash the 6.1 rom?

How important is that?

I typically recommend dudes do a stock flash only if they're experiencing strange issues with the phone...like it randomly freezes up and when you go to soft reset it, it hard resets the phone. VERY annoying. So I flashed to a Stock ROM, hard reset, flashed custom, hard reset...never happened again.

I should note, I flashed to another ROM thinking it was ROM specific and the issue followed me until I did the "stock flash dance".

So yea, I don't think it's necessary to go stock before every flash, but some dudes def do it as a matter of personal process.

...be a risk taker dude, just flash! :)

Hope that helps some.

bennysangel 10-08-2009 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknown Zone (Post 1223046)
I dont see any on my end, I been going back and forth 6.1/6.5 without starting from stock and had no issues.

I flashed from MR 6.5 to 6.1 today no problem. Just hard reset and soft reset after you flash.

yearn 10-08-2009 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In my experience (and Iv flashed ALOT!) 9 times outta 10 it works perfect to go straight from 1 ROM to another.....but theres that 1 time it dont.
So my advice is always do it. it dont take that long to do and it beats the hell outta flashing a ROM and getting everything all set up and then you find a bug and your stuck wondering if its a bug in the ROM or if you got a bad flash.
So it eats at you till you end up flashing shipped anyway THEN setting your phone all back up all over again, LOL.
Especially if your planning on sticking with this ROM for a while and you prolly will cause I always end up back on MightyROM 4R3BORN final. Its just so damn smooth and stable.

Oh and by the way just in case you dont got it heres the Official Facebook app for your device. It works really well

Cicatrize 10-08-2009 04:38 PM

I've never had trouble flashing over custom roms with a hard SPL.

I'd recommend just running the updated Sprint ROM though...it's quite nice. Better than any of the custom 6.1 ROM's I've seen.

shaggylive 10-08-2009 04:47 PM

well, I've never flashed 6.5 so I can't say, but from my experience with nueroms on the mogul, specifically nuekernel, flashing back to stock is the only way to get it back to "normal". since some 6.5 roms are finally including a new kernel I would be wary.
all that said, I did learn something (I really should look up from who one of these days)
the new sprint rom includes a updated PRI and the only method of flashing that includes it is fully booted via activesync. (ie. not bootloader)

chronster 10-08-2009 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaggylive (Post 1223481)
well, I've never flashed 6.5 so I can't say, but from my experience with nueroms on the mogul, specifically nuekernel, flashing back to stock is the only way to get it back to "normal". since some 6.5 roms are finally including a new kernel I would be wary.
all that said, I did learn something (I really should look up from who one of these days)
the new sprint rom includes a updated PRI and the only method of flashing that includes it is fully booted via activesync. (ie. not bootloader)

So if I updated my phone with the new sprint rom, did it update the PRI for good, or was that lost after flashing mr 4.16?

I ended up downloading the new sprint rom to flash to, and mr 4.16 seems faster, but I dunno. I only played with it for about 20 minutes lol.