PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero, Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

boredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch pro screen and keyboard died???

Ok, a little history about the phone. I purchased this phone and flashed it to cricket for a friend. had talk/text, mms, and internet working fully. He's had it for 6 months or so until today when it took a dump. he said he was browsing the net when it froze up. he reset it. He said it was acting weird and then froze again. He reset it again and then the screen failed to come back on. The phone starts up no problem. can send and receive calls. you can hear it boot up but the screen does not light up at all. apparently it still responds to touch though. Another weird thing is that the lights on the hardware buttons do not come on. Also the lights on the keyboard do not light up. Hit the caps button and the light for that does not respond. Plug it in to charge and no light. The phone can receive calls but none of the hardware buttons work at all. He was thinking that i could just replace the screen and everything would be fine. I'm starting to think there is something more serious wrong considering all these symptoms. Since the phone has no warranty and is not on sprint i opened it up partially to see if anything came loose. I only took the housing from the keyboard apart and made sure the ribbon to the screen and the ribbon to the keyboard were seated firmly.. They are. I haven't been able to take it apart completely because i need the tiny phillips to seperate the screen from the keyboard. ANY IDEAS AT ALL???

EDIT: i was going to try and hook it up to my mobile so i could see the screen on my computer buti can't get it to go into active sync. it just keeps trying to do disk drive mode instead. Anyone know a way to get it into active sync?

Last edited by boredmug; 10-06-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:25 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Re: Touch pro screen and keyboard died???

Wow, I'm thinking it is toast. I wonder if it overheated and fried some of the hardware inside. Sure does sound like some part of the circuitry has failed.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

boredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

yea, that's what i'm thinking too.. lol. it sucks for him because he had a great phone running on a CHEAP provider. 40 dollars a month for unlimited everything. I think he's pretty broke right now due to some legal problems so i don't think he can afford another touch pro...
Old 10-06-2009, 03:06 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO/no root

jpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuffjpwhre knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to jpwhre Send a message via MSN to jpwhre Send a message via Yahoo to jpwhre

Went thru something close to that myself. screen would show when it wanted, which was once a day if that. But keyboard, and hardware buttons still work. After 7 years of cricket, i switched to sprint with new tp. Mine overheated as well, after no luck getting one cheap on evilbay, and people on craigslist think they have something out of this world special, i gave up. sorry for his luck, even new phone is always hot for me. After the titan, diamond, and tp on cricket, i don't think anyone should waste more than $50 on a phone flashed to cricket. It should be concidered disposable, how much $$ is disposable is up to the user.

I would say check ebay for replacement screan and digitizer ($60 i checked) but if nothing else works, it's toasted.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

yea, i really don't think just a screen would work. . something else must be fried inside because the keyboard and harware buttons on the front also quit working at the same time.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Jevonjj is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to Jevonjj

Since June of 2009, this is my 4th Touch Pro i have had swapped with Sprint because the keyboard stops working.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

lol.. atleast you haven't had a complete meltdown. I've repaired a couple TP's with the keyboard problem.. Sometimes its as simple as opening it and snapping the ribbon cord back onto the mainboard and applying som electrical tape to it. Ofcourse i wouldn't recommend that if you have insurance ofcourse.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2 Metro Pcs WAP MMS Youtube
Carrier: Metro PCS

pimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on reppimpsuprazx is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmug View Post
lol.. atleast you haven't had a complete meltdown. I've repaired a couple TP's with the keyboard problem.. Sometimes its as simple as opening it and snapping the ribbon cord back onto the mainboard and applying som electrical tape to it. Ofcourse i wouldn't recommend that if you have insurance ofcourse.
I agree, I fixed mine a few times before I broke down and bought a TP2

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro