PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 06:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

jediyuhdigg is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Replacing Cracked Chrome Myself?

Hey I was wondering if its possible to replace the chrome myself? Is there an aftermarket distributor? I've already taken it to the sprint store and asked about the models that had a defect in the chrome and my phone didn't qualify and also i've dropped it plenty of times out of the case that it comes with because of the lack of velcro stickyness... Sprint store wants $110 to replace chrome itself because I don't have TEP. My chrome looks pretty bad.. parts of it is held together with super glue lol.. ideas?
Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

PatientTwo is just getting started
Re: Replacing Cracked Chrome Myself?

SILVER SHARPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientTwo View Post
SILVER SHARPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

lol lemme be more specific.. i have a hole near the volume up button the size of a pea missing lol
Old 09-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Retired Moderator
Pocket PC: NULL
Carrier: NULL

[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level[sammich] can't get a higher reputation level

WHOA! That sounds bad!

Unfortunately I just searched for some housing and couldn't find any chrome replacements... I'm not sure what you can do at this point besides to see if your carrier can fix it.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

I was fortunate and got my TP replaced through TEP after the store jerk didn't want to do anything. I hate sprint stores. It had cracks in the chrome the guy said it was cosmetic I said the phone cost $300 dollars, he didn't care. I called sprint they waved the deductible I paid $20 dollars to have it overnighted. When I go it, it appeared to be brand new. Pays to be a sprint customer for more than 10 years.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
I was fortunate and got my TP replaced through TEP after the store jerk didn't want to do anything. I hate sprint stores. It had cracks in the chrome the guy said it was cosmetic I said the phone cost $300 dollars, he didn't care. I called sprint they waved the deductible I paid $20 dollars to have it overnighted. When I go it, it appeared to be brand new. Pays to be a sprint customer for more than 10 years.
yeah ive been a sprint customer for about 8 years now, been a sprint employee for 2 of those years.. quit sprint, but kept my employee plan =] unfortunately i didnt get the TEP while i was working there and sprint customer service nor the sprint store will touch my account. they tell me to go ask the person who is in charge of employee accounts which to that i cant tell them i dont work for them anymore otherwise they take my employee plan away. i'll deal with broken chrome as long as i only pay 20 bucks a month for practically the everything plan. they will fix the chrome but its $120 out of pocket for a phone i got on ebay for $200.. only thing is everything works perfectly on this phone, thats why i dont want to just get another TP
Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero, Touch Pro

boredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

maybe a little bondo and some spray paint?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmug View Post
maybe a little bondo and some spray paint?
sadly i thought of this option as well.. problem with this is that since the piece that broke off was so close to the volume up button, theres a small tab that can be seen that is connected to the volume up which im afraid if i bond or put any sticky material over, it will render the volume up button useless (either keep the button from moving or apply pressure to the small tab causing the button to be pushed down permanently)
Old 10-01-2009, 06:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro

AsItLies is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediyuhdigg View Post
sadly i thought of this option as well.. problem with this is that since the piece that broke off was so close to the volume up button, theres a small tab that can be seen that is connected to the volume up which im afraid if i bond or put any sticky material over, it will render the volume up button useless (either keep the button from moving or apply pressure to the small tab causing the button to be pushed down permanently)
hmmmm I have a tp that's almost new that I'm not using, maybe we can work something out? good luck to you none the less. Have seen pictures of bad chrome and that would suck for sure.

regards,
Old 10-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

Post some pics, tho a bit of JB weld glue/putty and some creative paper folding and shaping/sanding could work. If you want to hike up to Tacoma, Washington or ship it here and back I would be more than happy to try and help you. I have a Masters in duct tap,hangers+ and glue manipulation!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Tags
chrome