PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Renaming "Outlook E-mail" (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87090)

damendaman 09-25-2009 12:00 AM

Renaming "Outlook E-mail"

After multiple searches I need to ask for some simple help, and hopefully a simple answer.

With the great news of Push Gmail working I have set it all up and it is working like a charm! However I cannot for the life of me figure out how to rename the account to something other than "Outlook E-mail".

Sorry if its an easy thing but I cannot figure it out.

Also, if there is any way to edit the default Microsoft Outlook image that shows on the e-mail tab to a custom one, guessing it would involve registry edits or something, please let me know!

Thanks in advance,
Damen

k_semler 09-25-2009 12:19 AM

Re: Renaming "Outlook E-mail"

You need a resource editor to hack the *.dll files and poutlook.exe. I'm not aware of any pocket resource editor, but I use ResEdit on the desktop. I don't really want to spend a couple of days telling you exactly what to edit, on what line, and the values to enter, so I leave that to you. I know of, and know how to use) tools to alter application displays, but I'm not going to do research regarding editing applications if the use is very limited, and I am uncompensated.

damendaman 09-25-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k_semler (Post 1192163)
You need a resource editor to hack the *.dll files and poutlook.exe. I'm not aware of any pocket resource editor, but I use ResEdit on the desktop. I don't really want to spend a couple of days telling you exactly what to edit, on what line, and the values to enter, so I leave that to you. I know of, and know how to use) tools to alter application displays, but I'm not going to do research regarding editing applications if the use is very limited, and I am uncompensated.

So there is no one who has made, or can make, a cab to do all of this? It is not something that is killing me but I wouldn't mind changing the name to something more correct.

k_semler 09-25-2009 11:35 PM

Not that I am aware of. Considering it would take several hours to do this, (narrow down the *.dll associated with ActiveSync/Exchange), edit it, save it, and edit the poutlook.exe to have the application image you want, it is rather time consuming to do so. After editing the necessary files, you would need to halt poutlook.exe, and import your edited files. After that, you will need to reset your TP.

CozBoogie 09-28-2009 01:09 PM

Moved to the Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz

damendaman 09-28-2009 03:40 PM

Hm, don't know why.

This doesn't really have anything specific about the Touch Pro in it, it is about things in windows mobile.

tcbusch 09-28-2009 04:30 PM

In stead of reverse engineering a dll you could just change the registry value that contains the name of the ActiveSync mail account. Change this key to whatever you want it to be called.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Svc\ActiveSync
FriendlyName = "Outlook E-mail"

damendaman 09-29-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcbusch (Post 1200050)
In stead of reverse engineering a dll you could just change the registry value that contains the name of the ActiveSync mail account. Change this key to whatever you want it to be called.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Inbox\Svc\ActiveSync
FriendlyName = "Outlook E-mail"

Thanks a million! This was the easy fix I was looking for, not sure why the other guy made it seem so difficult.

Problem solved :)

c4400 09-30-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damendaman (Post 1201970)
Thanks a million! This was the easy fix I was looking for, not sure why the other guy made it seem so difficult.

Problem solved :)

He wanted to be "compensated" for hours and hours of work that a reg edit could do. He must work for the government. :-p