PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Data connection is lost when talking. (Spcs Touch Pro) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87087)

olsurf 09-24-2009 11:49 PM

Data connection is lost when talking. (Spcs Touch Pro)

Hi,

I recently moved from AT&T Tilt to Sprint Touch Pro. My TP is overall good but has some unique issue with data connection. On tilt, I could surf browser simultaneously when I used to talk (so phone line and data connection were independent). But it is not the same on TP. I don't know why but whenever my call is on, the data connection seems to be lost and I can not use Google maps/browser etc. I have been looking on PPCgeeks and XDA for past 2 hours but can not find the solution if it is unique to me or is it common...

In general, phone is standard WM6.1 with advanced Config 3 installed and some other general applications. Can you please help?

sevensicks 09-24-2009 11:56 PM

Re: Data connection is lost when talking. (Spcs Touch Pro)

CDMA phones, which are primarily what sprint uses, can't do data and talk at the same time.

MizzPrincezz 09-24-2009 11:58 PM

With Sprint (a CDMA carrier) you can only do voice and data one at a time. 1X is what you will see while making a phone call (also when sending and receiving text messages) and Ev (data) is what you will see when you are web browsing. I guess you could do both at the same time with AT&t (a GSM carrier). I do believe that there will be a network upgrade that will allow both but I can't remember the subject I was reading about (help here ?) .

Unknown Zone 09-25-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzPrincezz (Post 1192129)
..... Ev (data) is what you will see when you are web browsing.

you can also browse in a "1x" area if that is all you got....it will be slower of course then "EV"

olsurf 09-25-2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzPrincezz (Post 1192129)
With Sprint (a CDMA carrier) you can only do voice and data one at a time. 1X is what you will see while making a phone call (also when sending and receiving text messages) and Ev (data) is what you will see when you are web browsing. I guess you could do both at the same time with AT&t (a GSM carrier). I do believe that there will be a network upgrade that will allow both but I can't remember the subject I was reading about (help here ?) .

Thanks for your responses. I see that happening. So it means that there is no way I can use data connections while talking? Not even any EPST changes...:(

razorloves 09-25-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olsurf (Post 1192231)
Thanks for your responses. I see that happening. So it means that there is no way I can use data connections while talking? Not even any EPST changes...:(

i think wi-fi might work when talking, but not your regular data connection (as mentioned above), regardless of phone settings

ou2mame 09-25-2009 01:30 AM

evdo rev a was supposedly going to fix this, and i read that the palm pre was going to be able to... dunno about the pre, but rev a didn't fix it.

BillThyCat 09-25-2009 03:59 PM

EVDO = Evolution Data Only, there is no way for EV and Voice to work at the same time, not without building 2 radios into the phone that connect to each network at the same time.

So, you can't surf while talking, wi-fi should work tho.

BTC

schettj 09-25-2009 05:29 PM

EVDV was supposed to be the answer (2005) but its dead http://www.engadget.com/2005/03/06/e...h-kills-ev-dv/

Turns out no one cares (much) about it.

Your wifi should work while talking, but then you'll need to fire up your Gasoline battery backup generator - I'm thinking you've got 2 hours max battery in that mode....