PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Dell Axim 51v
Carrier: MetroPCS

fdbryant3 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: free gps with vocal turn by turn directions??

AmazeGPS is your best bet in my opinion. It is free and has voice guidance. It does require a data connection if you want to see the maps as your going.

However it also has a "arrows" mode that basically just shows you how far to your next turn and which direction it will be that does not require a data connection once your route is set (although will need one if you need to re-route).

Another one out there is Nav4All. To be honest I didn't care for it but your mileage may vary.

As someone mentioned there is also Waze. The thing to understand about Waze is it isn't so much a navigation app as it is a commuters app. The difference being that a navigation app is more about getting to someplace you haven't been. Waze is more about helping you get to where you want to go efficiently by being aware of road conditions and getting you on the fastest route. That said it is possible to use Waze for navigation, it just isn't its primary function.

Personally though I find myself using iGuidance most of the time. My data connection only works in limited areas so actually having the maps on my phone is quite handy.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:38 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

xgirlxy is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I've tried AMazeGPS and found it to be a very good app but as with any GPS (paid/not paid) there is gonna be some places that it won't recognize.

I give it a 9 out of 10.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:05 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro with custom ROMs'
Carrier: Sprint for the service & PPCGeeks for the device

meanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuff

Just double checking here but I went to the aMaze site and it is saying the maps are free but navigation you have to pay is this correct?

P
ressing
will get you far, so PLEASE press it often!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:56 AM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man
Pocket PC: HTC Evo & TP2
Carrier: SpRinT

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JDM_SOHC

Telenav is my favorite... and its free =) and supports VGA..

Old 10-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro with custom ROMs'
Carrier: Sprint for the service & PPCGeeks for the device

meanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuffmeanfishy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmsohc22 View Post
Telenav is my favorite... and its free =) and supports VGA..
Telenav is free??? I thought you had to pay for that service and then you are provided a PIN to activate.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Dell Axim 51v
Carrier: MetroPCS

fdbryant3 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Not entirely sure but it looks like Amaze is going pay with their 5.0 release. Which is a shame because I was fond of recommending them. What is really lousy is there does not appear to be any communication about this. They have apparently closed their forums and I have seen any announcements on Facebook or Twitter.

It is difficult (if not out and out impossible) to take something from free to pay but to surprise and not communicate with the people who have supported seems to be a recipe for failure.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I've tried all the free offerings and as the saying goes...

You get what you pay for!

All of the free navigators require data connection for it to work. No data means no map! No map means no way to tell you where you are or when to turn!

Not a problem if you live near a major city or metropolitan area...But drive out into the rural abyss where cell coverage is sketchy and patchy and you will soon find yourself lost in the middle of nowhere!

I went and got Garmin with a BT GPS for around $100 in the days before the phones had a built in GPS. I got the version for the laptop which comes with GarminXT as well. Which these days goes for about $60 without the GPS.
with a little searching you will find out how to get it on any SDcard that can hold about every map in the world! Once it's on that card it will work in any WM phone you buy in the foreseeable future (until MS screws it up!)

Just put your memory card in the new phone!

since the maps are on the card there is no need for a data connection and you never have to worry about maps not being there!
Hell you don't even need an activated phone for it to work!

I made my old "out of contract" Mogul a car mounted GPS for a family member.

Best isoftware investment I ever made!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

Deltatristar500 is keeping up the good workDeltatristar500 is keeping up the good work

How can I use AmazeGPS if the phone type is not available on the website? They even say Winmobile coming soon
Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanfishy View Post
Telenav is free??? I thought you had to pay for that service and then you are provided a PIN to activate.
You're correct. TeleNav is NOT free. It's generally provided by your carrier (i.e. Sprint) and re-branded. Whether you realize it or not, you're most likely paying a monthly fee to your carrier if you use TeleNav. Most of the Sprint unlimited data packages just include navigation, not sure about VZW.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
PPCGeeks Ladies Man
Pocket PC: HTC Evo & TP2
Carrier: SpRinT

JDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on repJDM_SOHC is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JDM_SOHC

I have an unlimited data plan, and for over two years been using TeleNav and have not once been billed for it..

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro