PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Disable screen turning on when email checking? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=86693)

fuzzybabybunny 09-23-2009 01:51 AM

Disable screen turning on when email checking?

Due to work I've got my 3 email accounts set to check for new email every 5 minutes. I've noticed that every time the phone checks for email the screen turns on, stays on for however long I set it for, etc, every 5 minutes.

1. KILLS battery life.
2. Results in lots of false dials - if it's in my pocket and turns on, my body movements and other contents in my pocket have accidentally made the phone call people on a number of occasions.

How do I disable the screen turning on every time it checks for email or receives email/text?

Talon Pro 09-23-2009 01:52 PM

Re: Disable screen turning on when email checking?

1 Attachment(s)
You're seriously asking that on this site?

psycho_maniac 09-23-2009 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzybabybunny (Post 1187092)
Due to work I've got my 3 email accounts set to check for new email every 5 minutes. I've noticed that every time the phone checks for email the screen turns on, stays on for however long I set it for, etc, every 5 minutes.

1. KILLS battery life.
2. Results in lots of false dials - if it's in my pocket and turns on, my body movements and other contents in my pocket have accidentally made the phone call people on a number of occasions.

How do I disable the screen turning on every time it checks for email or receives email/text?

hmmm mine NEVER turns on for emails. i do know that your screen will turn on when it switches service, goes from digital to evdo, there are regedits that show how to get the screen to turn off while you get a txt but i found that it doesnt work

i was actually randomly thinking about this early this week. i think the reason why the registry edits dont work is because were setting the wrong one. what we need to look for is ones for when service changes.
the phone switches service when you get a txt and thats why the screen still turns on with the registy values changed.

Cicatrize 09-23-2009 04:06 PM

Why aren't you using an exchange server and push mail? Your battery is surely suffering pulling data every 5 minutes.

psycho_maniac 09-23-2009 09:43 PM

yes 5 mins is way too much. i have mine set to every 60 mins and my phone will last all day.

fuzzybabybunny 09-24-2009 03:43 AM

Don't exchange servers cost money?

Cicatrize 09-24-2009 10:52 AM

Yes, but if you're a business user with 3 work e-mail accounts that you need constant up-to-date e-mails, I suggest that expense is worth it to you.

psycho_maniac 09-24-2009 12:32 PM

holy man i will never pay for an exchange server. there super expensive. id just use somebody elses ;)

haus 09-24-2009 01:14 PM

It's called hosted Exchange. There are a lot of providers out there; the going rate seems to be about $10/month for a decent sized mailbox (1GB or so). The only problem is that you can only have one exchange account per device. I use exchange and 2 IMAP (polling every hour for the IMAP accounts).

And yes, Pocketshield FTW.

psycho_maniac 09-24-2009 02:51 PM

i like my 7gb gmail account with the free exchange server it uses.
and with a "hosted exchange" dont you have to get a new email? like if i wanted to use it with my charter emai address i couldnt do it?
and i just used charter as an example