PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 11:19 AM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus
Carrier: Sprint

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to strra
Re: Official 6.5 Sprint rom offical yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisman View Post
This is where microsoft screwed up. Windows 7 comes out in December. Windows Mobile 7 doesn't have a release date.

Terrible idea naming to operating systems 7. It confuses people.

Note not positive that Winmo7 doesn't have a release date. I'm just pretty sure it doesn't.

Lastly why did they name it windows 7?
3.XX -> 95 -> 98 -> 2000 -> XP -> Vista -> 7
I just don't get it. Also yes I left out ME it was just a less stable build of 98 with newer drivers.
basically (iirc)
3.xx = 3
95 = 4
98 = 5
ME = 5.1
2000 = NT 5
XP = 6
Vista = 6.1
7 = 7
Old 09-19-2009, 06:50 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Not sure were you guys got your release date for windows 7 at but as far as I know its Oct. 22, 2009.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Timeless
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on repTurboFool is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TurboFool Send a message via MSN to TurboFool Send a message via Yahoo to TurboFool

Quote:
Originally Posted by strra View Post
basically (iirc)
3.xx = 3
95 = 4
98 = 5
ME = 5.1
2000 = NT 5
XP = 6
Vista = 6.1
7 = 7
You started off right, but lost track fast.

In the Win32 line:
Windows 95 = 4.0
Windows 98 = 4.10
Windows ME = 4.90

In the Windows NT line:
Windows NT 3.51 = 3
Windows NT 4.0 = 4.1/4.3 (workstation/server)

From there they progress into a single kernel line:
Windows 2000 = 5.0
Windows XP = 5.1
Windows Server 2003 = 5.2
Windows Vista = 6.0
Windows Server 2008 = 6.0
Windows 7 = 6.1
Windows Server 2008 R2 = 6.1

Now you'll notice that Windows 7 is described as 6.1 instead of 7.0. The ONLY reason for this was the surprise they found at how many applications failed to be compatible with Windows Vista simply because they were looking at that version number and decided they were incompatible, despite otherwise being fully functional. Not wanting a repeat of that with Windows 7, they stuck with 6.1, since the applications just look for 6.x and don't care that much about the tenths.

But overall, yes, if you follow the timeline of major kernel revisions, Windows 7 is, indeed, or at least was meant to be, the 7th major revision. Most other versions of Windows have been minor updates that kept the same overall kernel, which is why it SEEMS like there have been a lot more versions than 7.

Oh, and Krisman, ME was a lot more than a less stable build of XP with newer drivers. It introduced many functions that are fundamental and vital to the state of Windows today, including all of the special folders, system restore, and more. It was also the first version that attempted to get rid of DOS entirely. It was extremely valuable to the Windows ecosystem and despite being unstable (for most, I had no notable issues) still very much counts as a version of Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
Not sure were you guys got your release date for windows 7 at but as far as I know its Oct. 22, 2009.
Windows MOBILE 7 is what they're talking about.

Last edited by TurboFool; 09-19-2009 at 09:09 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro