PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 06:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

asuh is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Software/Firmware/Hardware updates for TP?

I purchased mine in October last year like so many others. I had hope that HTC would issue updates for minor problems (lagging TF3D) or major problems (radio overheating battery) but nearly a year has passed and I don't know of any updates at all. Did I miss anything?

I'm disappointed that HTC pretty much dismissed and left behind the TP shortly after it was put to market. I noticed that even the Diamond got some kind of update eventually but nothing has ever come for the TP.

While I am interested in upgrading to WM 6.5 and the next generation of TF3D, is there going to be any ports of the TP2 software for the TP? Or should I just not even get my hopes up for anything improving for this phone.

If anything, maybe they could at least issue a huge fix for the radio overheating the phone so much that the battery won't charge! Ugh.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx
Re: Software/Firmware/Hardware updates for TP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuh View Post
I purchased mine in October last year like so many others. I had hope that HTC would issue updates for minor problems (lagging TF3D) or major problems (radio overheating battery) but nearly a year has passed and I don't know of any updates at all. Did I miss anything?

I'm disappointed that HTC pretty much dismissed and left behind the TP shortly after it was put to market. I noticed that even the Diamond got some kind of update eventually but nothing has ever come for the TP.

While I am interested in upgrading to WM 6.5 and the next generation of TF3D, is there going to be any ports of the TP2 software for the TP? Or should I just not even get my hopes up for anything improving for this phone.

If anything, maybe they could at least issue a huge fix for the radio overheating the phone so much that the battery won't charge! Ugh.
most roms now have all new htc stuff from the leo, topaz, rhodium, qulin and more.
Manila 2.1 was taken from the rhodium.
I would flash a custom rom since they seem to be much better IMO.
Whats there to loose? These devices are almost impossible to brick, just read the sticky in cdma touch pro upgrades forum and give it a whirl
Old 09-13-2009, 04:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

asuh is just getting started

So I didn't miss any updates? Dang it. Why did HTC abandon the TP as soon as it was released?! That's terrible business.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Once they make a phone...unless there is something that doesn't work that was in their marketing they simply move onto the next phone.

Just flash a new rom you'll get more updates with one of those than you would have seen from HTC for all their phones put together!
Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO

rushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on reprushco is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I turn my phone into a wifi access point at work so I can use my ipod touch. I put my touch pro in front of a fan and have it charge that way. Still after 2-3 hours I'll restart my touch pro and look at the battery status and it will say something between 50%-60%. So sad
Old 09-13-2009, 02:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro

apinkel is keeping up the good workapinkel is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuh View Post
So I didn't miss any updates? Dang it. Why did HTC abandon the TP as soon as it was released?! That's terrible business.
Not really... they know that everyone and their dog just loads a new rom to get the latest and greatest.

WM isn't a phone OS for your grandma... it's for the do it yourselfer... the variety of ROM's out there range from ultra-stable ROM's that are close to stock but with better battery life and performance to versions that have the latest version of WM (versions you can't even get on new phones).

Download an unlocker, follow the simple step-by-step instructions to unlock your phone then download a ROM, run the installer, and again, follow the simple step-by-step to load it.

MightyRom is a good place to start as he typically creates untra-stable roms with good battery life and performance without all kinds of visual customization. From their you can try any number of other ROMs... try out the latest WM 6.5.1 ROMs (stability probably won't be very good yet), or new versions of manilla, etc., or go for a ROM that has a bunch of visual stuff that turns your crank (not my bag... but hey, to each their own).
Old 09-13-2009, 02:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: LG Optimus S

wosiek is becoming a great contributor

Also, don't forget that with the Sprint Touch PRO, Sprint has a lot of say in what comes down the pipe as far as updates for their handsets. If anything, blame Sprint for hand-cuffing HTC, so to speak.

That being said, the custom ROMs available here, on XDA, ED/TP (pretty much a mirror of the Touch PRO/Diamond section of PPCGeeks) are gonna far and away surpass the OS you see on any *new* phone (with maybe the exception being HTC Hero) to hit the market. To give you an idea, the majority of custom ROMS with 6.5 builds are in the 23xxx versions, whereas the *first* WM 6.5 phones to be released in October will only be running 21xxx versions. Couple that with the coders/programmers that take the time to tear apart Manila, Titanium GUI to squeak out that extra bit of performance to make things that much smoother and you've got one of the slickest, most stable OS on your phone. It never fails that when I'm out in public someone will see me messing with my phone, and usually they have a Touch PRO or Diamond themselves and they're blown away with what they see.. First question: "Where did you get that phone?" I just smile, say it's the exact same hardware as what they've got, but the only difference is that I'm a PPC geek.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:38 AM
N00b

iwannabeused is a n00b

HTC has been terrible with device support for Sprint. I don't know if it is Sprint or HTC. But it all started with the 6700, then the Mogel, now the Touch Pro. I am losing faith in the brand.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I'm not sure how much of the lack of updates is due to HTC or due to the carriers themselves....

Verizon I know has always disabled things that HTC does have working (GPS comes to mind!) And the EVDO RevA upgrade HTC provided for the mogul took several months for verizon to approve....

Problem is the carriers don't want to make sweeping changes to the OS simply because it becomes a support nightmare. My guess is the average noob on this forum knows more about the phones than some of the best guys you will find at your average carrier's store.

Considering the fact that most people upgrade phones every year...i guess they figure why improve what is already sold! Better to work on something that will get more money out of you!

It's a business thing...
Old 09-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphyx View Post
Once they make a phone...unless there is something that doesn't work that was in their marketing they simply move onto the next phone.

Just flash a new rom you'll get more updates with one of those than you would have seen from HTC for all their phones put together!
They HTC did not fix the MSVC caller id incoming calls. They said it would be fixed in a update. It now also a year. I guess since the hackers here fixed it they did not want to waste their time.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro