PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Backup), Samsung Epic (Current)
Carrier: Sprint

iviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to iviyth0s
Gps

What exactly is the point of the built in GPS??? Doesn't Sprint Navigation, Amaze GPS, and Google Maps just use cell phone towers to work anyway??
Old 09-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 & Diamond

SporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuffSporkLover knows their stuff
Re: Gps

No, they actually use GPS signals. The precision of the GPS readings can be enhanced with triangulation from cell phone towers.
Phones: Motorola MicroTAC 650E, Qualcomm/Kyocera QCP 860, Sanyo SCP-4700, Sanyo SCP-4900, Samsung A500, Sanyo MM-7400, Sanyo MM-7500, Samsung APH A900M, LG Fusic, LG Musiq, HTC Apache, Palm Centro, Samsung Rant, HTC Mogul, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2. Samsung Moment, HTC Evo 4G
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:29 AM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

how about if you dont want any of that isht you mentionned and wanted a true stand alone gps that doesnt rely on the internet or towers!!! Yeah I would think the gps chip will help
Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750

I think garmin uses the gps standalone. Even if it doesnt, its the shiznit.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

iviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro254750 View Post
I think garmin uses the gps standalone. Even if it doesnt, its the shiznit.
I heard that the Tom Tom and Garmin paid apps actually use the GPS. But why can't anything free use it?? I mean why have it if you have to buy software that can utilize it. I am specifically talking about software like the three I mentioned since if I lose signal the phone is not a useful tool for navigation.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:29 AM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviyth0s View Post
I heard that the Tom Tom and Garmin paid apps actually use the GPS. But why can't anything free use it?? I mean why have it if you have to buy software that can utilize it. I am specifically talking about software like the three I mentioned since if I lose signal the phone is not a useful tool for navigation.
you're only half right. those apps do use the built-in GPS but they download the maps from the internet. that's what renders them unusable without signal. i don't know of any free apps that use a built-in map, but i have tomtom and it's wonderful
Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strra View Post
you're only half right. those apps do use the built-in GPS but they download the maps from the internet. that's what renders them unusable without signal. i don't know of any free apps that use a built-in map, but i have tomtom and it's wonderful
oh and I guess since the TomTom and Garmin suites come with all the maps preloaded that makes them completely independent of being in the service area.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:16 AM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

You are getting there dude slowly but surely,nomsayin
Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750

Quote:
Id have to disagree with you on this one. I have garmin mobile XT on my touch pro and i also have a 1gb map file on my sd card that disagrees with your above statement. Garmin DOES however connect to data to download traffic updates, but the navigation continues to work without cell signal. I dont know about tom tom, havent used it.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

dtuma1980 is keeping up the good workdtuma1980 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to dtuma1980 Send a message via MSN to dtuma1980

Quote:

I'm gonna disagree with this as well. All the POI's and maps you are able to use with TomTom (which is what I use) are loaded onto the SD card and is roughly 1gb in size. If it needed to download all the info on an 'as-needed' basis, when in roaming you could REALLY rack up a bill.

Google Maps is the only GPS app I have used that downloads the maps in realtime - and it's pretty obvious that it is as it isn't as smooth as TomTom is for me.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro