PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Gps (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=83909)

iviyth0s 09-11-2009 12:15 AM

Gps

What exactly is the point of the built in GPS??? Doesn't Sprint Navigation, Amaze GPS, and Google Maps just use cell phone towers to work anyway??

SporkLover 09-11-2009 12:23 AM

Re: Gps

No, they actually use GPS signals. The precision of the GPS readings can be enhanced with triangulation from cell phone towers.

HBOOT 09-11-2009 12:29 AM

how about if you dont want any of that isht you mentionned and wanted a true stand alone gps that doesnt rely on the internet or towers!!! Yeah I would think the gps chip will help:mrgreen:

pyro254750 09-11-2009 12:45 AM

I think garmin uses the gps standalone. Even if it doesnt, its the shiznit.

iviyth0s 09-11-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyro254750 (Post 1156304)
I think garmin uses the gps standalone. Even if it doesnt, its the shiznit.

I heard that the Tom Tom and Garmin paid apps actually use the GPS. But why can't anything free use it?? I mean why have it if you have to buy software that can utilize it. I am specifically talking about software like the three I mentioned since if I lose signal the phone is not a useful tool for navigation.

strra 09-11-2009 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iviyth0s (Post 1156355)
I heard that the Tom Tom and Garmin paid apps actually use the GPS. But why can't anything free use it?? I mean why have it if you have to buy software that can utilize it. I am specifically talking about software like the three I mentioned since if I lose signal the phone is not a useful tool for navigation.

you're only half right. those apps do use the built-in GPS but they download the maps from the internet. that's what renders them unusable without signal. i don't know of any free apps that use a built-in map, but i have tomtom and it's wonderful

iviyth0s 09-11-2009 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strra (Post 1156399)
you're only half right. those apps do use the built-in GPS but they download the maps from the internet. that's what renders them unusable without signal. i don't know of any free apps that use a built-in map, but i have tomtom and it's wonderful

oh and I guess since the TomTom and Garmin suites come with all the maps preloaded that makes them completely independent of being in the service area.

HBOOT 09-11-2009 09:16 AM

You are getting there dude slowly but surely,nomsayin:scratch:

pyro254750 09-11-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Id have to disagree with you on this one. I have garmin mobile XT on my touch pro and i also have a 1gb map file on my sd card that disagrees with your above statement. Garmin DOES however connect to data to download traffic updates, but the navigation continues to work without cell signal. I dont know about tom tom, havent used it.

dtuma1980 09-11-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

I'm gonna disagree with this as well. All the POI's and maps you are able to use with TomTom (which is what I use) are loaded onto the SD card and is roughly 1gb in size. If it needed to download all the info on an 'as-needed' basis, when in roaming you could REALLY rack up a bill.

Google Maps is the only GPS app I have used that downloads the maps in realtime - and it's pretty obvious that it is as it isn't as smooth as TomTom is for me.