PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750
Re: Gps

the oem navigators such as sprint navigation DO download the map as you go, but it shows in the lack of smoothness. Garmin has the entire map in a file on the sd card called gmapsupp.img, I would assume tomtom has a similar setup.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:53 PM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuma1980 View Post
I'm gonna disagree with this as well. All the POI's and maps you are able to use with TomTom (which is what I use) are loaded onto the SD card and is roughly 1gb in size. If it needed to download all the info on an 'as-needed' basis, when in roaming you could REALLY rack up a bill.

Google Maps is the only GPS app I have used that downloads the maps in realtime - and it's pretty obvious that it is as it isn't as smooth as TomTom is for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro254750 View Post
Id have to disagree with you on this one. I have garmin mobile XT on my touch pro and i also have a 1gb map file on my sd card that disagrees with your above statement. Garmin DOES however connect to data to download traffic updates, but the navigation continues to work without cell signal. I dont know about tom tom, havent used it.
you guys are misunderstanding me. i meant to say exactly what you're saying. garmin and tomtom need no internet connection because the maps are preloaded. the ones being rendered useless are the ones he listed in the OP (sprint nav, amaze, etc)
Old 09-11-2009, 01:01 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

i know whut u sayin man,nomsayin
Old 09-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Backup), Samsung Epic (Current)
Threadstarter

iviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to iviyth0s

I wish I could just download the full map for Sprint Nav, or Google Maps. I habe a 16GB memory card, I see no reason not to have this option.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

keirnanq is a n00b

The reason Sprint will not allow you to download their maps, is so they have a reason to charge you every month for their service (at least that what my buddy that works there says). I use google maps with my Alltel Touch Pro for free. Google maps tends to be a litttle flaky on connecting with the GPS, sometimes it just will not connect, so I got a external Bluetooth GPS (puck), if I need it.

If anyone knows why Google maps sometimes has trouble, please, PLEASE, let me know. Having the external GPS is nice for a back up, but carring it around stinks.

Thanks for such a great forum, first time posting.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:57 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

welcome dude, u ll get hooked up here
Old 09-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TouchPro,Mogul,Diamond

junior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuffjunior1234 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to junior1234

Heck I use google maps all the time and I rarely have a problem with it and hey ITS FREE, but seriously Im all over the country with it and its pretty darn good IMHO.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

pyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuffpyro254750 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to pyro254750 Send a message via MSN to pyro254750

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirnanq View Post
The reason Sprint will not allow you to download their maps, is so they have a reason to charge you every month for their service (at least that what my buddy that works there says). I use google maps with my Alltel Touch Pro for free. Google maps tends to be a litttle flaky on connecting with the GPS, sometimes it just will not connect, so I got a external Bluetooth GPS (puck), if I need it.

If anyone knows why Google maps sometimes has trouble, please, PLEASE, let me know. Having the external GPS is nice for a back up, but carring it around stinks.

Thanks for such a great forum, first time posting.
this is correct. if they gave you the option to download the map, then the program could be altered (if alteration is even needed) so that it uses onboard gps without reporting to sprint, in which case you wouldnt even need the esn linked to an account to use the gps. an old cell phone could be converted to a standalone gps in your car without even buying software.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

gonnaget2you is just getting started
Talking Re: Gps

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1234 View Post
Heck I use google maps all the time and I rarely have a problem with it and hey ITS FREE, but seriously Im all over the country with it and its pretty darn good IMHO.
+1 IT needs that connection but I still like it also
Old 09-12-2009, 03:59 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro (VZW)
Carrier: Verizon

Asphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularAsphyx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior1234 View Post
Google Maps is not really FREE unless you have an unlimited data account with your carrier...

If you have a metered data account that Google program could cost you a bundle on one long drive!

The Garmin/Tom Tom route is the way to go for good GPS performance and price. Lag in a GPS program could mean going 40 miles out of your way because it was busy trying to load a map instead of telling you to turn!

And the best part about Garmin is it doesn't matter what phone I have at the time...I upgraded from the Mogul to TP and as soon as I put the card into the slot it installs and is ready to go...That is after I unlocked the verizon GPS! LOL
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro