PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Alltel

Rourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on repRourke Swift is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Problems with Syncing / File Transfer...

So, yesterday I had my phone connected to my laptop while doing some work, when I started to hear the Active Sync connect and disconnect sounds at erratic intervals. A little investigation showed the stock HTC data cable was wearing and fraying on both ends where it connected to the adapters, and I was losing sync any time I bumped the cable. I straightened the cable and didn't think much of it (other than noting I would need a new data cable), until today when I connected the phone again.

As usual, the phone displayed the menu asking me to Sync, File Transfer, or Internet Share. I selected Active Sync, but neither the phone nor WMDC on the computer seemed to sync: no device listed in my file explorer, no "sync" icon on the phone's taskbar, and wdmc still thought the device was disconnected. To be safe, I tried all 4 USB ports on the laptop first, and each time got the same menu, selected Sync, but never actually synced. Next I tracked down the USB-to-Micro cable from my digital camera and tested: this time, regardless of USB port, I didn't even get the Connection popup. Now, I've always thought these cables were pretty much universal, but apparently not. I can put the stock HTC cable in and get the popup; put the generic one from my camera and I don't.

Strange thing is, I'm charging just fine with both cables. To be totally safe, I uninstalled WMDC, restarted, reinstalled it, and hard reset my phone, but it doesn't matter. Tested with the "advanced network functionality" option checked and unchecked; tried to access just the storage card with the "Disk Drive" option to no avail. Seems that no matter what I do, I just can't see the phone anymore.

From the searching I've done, it seems like this is something I might need to warranty (??), but I'd really like to make sure I've explored all my options. It seems it has to be a software thing if the phone still has no problem charging via USB.

Any suggestions?

Edit - Alltel Touch Pro - DCD 2.06 - Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro