PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Balancing memory on a Verizon TP (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=82368)

oldpueblo 09-03-2009 03:50 AM

Balancing memory on a Verizon TP

So I have the Verizon TP, and despite it being so "horribly crippled" memory-wise I've somehow managed to have quite a pleasant experience using it these past few months. I've tried it in many different configurations and figured I'd run some stats so that others can benefit from it. This post is catered more towards newer users than veteran flashers.

To set the stage let me make a few points. Verizon's stock ROM has a pagepool of 6 and comes without TF3D enabled. Most custom ROMs recommend a pagepool of 8 for Verizon users who use one of the newer interfaces (TF3D/Titanium), as well as recommending they disable the newer HTC dialer to free up an additional 10mb or so. After trying various pagepool settings I'm using a 12 right now with the disabled dialer, and so far it seems to be a good balance between free memory and giving the OS enough room to breathe well. Would more RAM like the other TPs have be nice? Sure. Is it absolutely necessary to have as much RAM as them to have a normally functioning TP? From my personal experience, definitely not. Now here are the stats all with a pagepool of 12:

*All readings taken individually after a fresh soft reset
*I let it sit for a few minutes to "stabilize" (the memory creeps a bit)
*This is a freshly flashed ROM with a second hard-reset and nothing else installed
*I'm using MightyROM 6.5 in this test, I use it the most due to it being an excellent overall package of stability and features. (shameless plug) MR6.5 has a default pagepool of 16mb which you can modify if you so desire.

Titanium + HTC dialer
In use: 65.12
Free: 42.10

Titanium + Old dialer
In use: 56.00
Free: 51.22

TF3D + HTC dialer
In use: 74.29
Free: 32.93

TF3D + Old dialer
In use: 65.04
Free: 42.18

Old interface + Old dialer (for kicks)
In use: 54.14
Free: 53.08

Now as a test to see roughly how much free memory you need for a decent amount of multitasking I went ahead and launched several applications that I could see being regularly used.

MS Word (81k)
Opera 9.5 (2809k)
Windows Media Player (1777k)
Google Maps (2164k)
YouTube (5692k)
Camera (5479k)

Total: 18mb

Now it's perspective time. As you can see that's not a horrendous amount of memory necessary to flip back and forth between those apps. But some of those listed above just don't need to stay open all day long. I can understand listening to a media player while surfing the web while flipping back to google maps to make sure you're going the right way (hopefully you aren't driving :p ), but you don't generally need to be using all of those or other programs all at once. I feel a large amount of multitasking is pointless because you're more likely to bog down the CPU sooner than run out of RAM I'd think (I could be wrong).

I always personally set my task manager to close apps on hitting ok because I usually dont need to leave everything running. When I do want to leave something open I just hit the home button. But even then I only ever have 2-3 things running simultaneously. The default however is to just leave everything open until WinMo decides it needs to randomly close something to free up RAM. But what if it closes something you wanted to stay open instead of something you didn't care about? The point to take home here is to have you manage the memory and make the choices, not WinMo.

I've rambled enough, I just figured seeing the in use/free stats might help some Verizon user decide what pagepool to choose or what interface to use. You can always opt for a lower pagepool to free up even more memory, but you sacrifice overall ROM performance I believe in doing so. I've also included pics of the two different dialers below for reference. To be honest I don't see any reason to keep the HTC one, I actually prefer call/end buttons on the app and I don't really see anything worth 10mb.

HTC and older dialer

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8127/newdialer.jpg http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2486/olddialer.jpg

IMPORTANT - Please don't clutter up this thread with Verizon bashing. The phone works fine, Verizon has great service, go "hate" somewhere else. This thread is for the people that just want to figure out how to best use their memory on the TP. Not everyone considers the phone more important than the service. I welcome any criticism on the validity of the above stats as well as any insight into balancing the RAM even better.

mrsamtee 09-03-2009 07:03 AM

Re: Balancing memory on a Verizon TP

Throw DCD 2.06 on there...thatll help your memory real good. up to 70mb free on soft reset with 6.5 going. high 50s with tf3d but i feel better off with spb3 anyway which eats only 6. best clean 6.5 rom to date for our vzw tp.

oldpueblo 09-03-2009 03:02 PM

I don't have any memory issues and a stripped down ROM just doesn't do it for me. I want a ROM with a lot of features, and my point in the post above is that you can still have it with the Verizon TP. I might have to take a look at SPB finally, I've heard a lot of good about it.

Mylt1 09-03-2009 03:16 PM

yep, the dialer you use makes a difference. never liked the "old" dialer so i have the black version of the HTC dialer without curtains and mem is a sacrifice i have to make. i like the HTC just because of the larger buttons. i have right good sized fingers and its just easier to use.

zmattmanz 09-03-2009 04:07 PM

Great post -- is that with TF3D the original? I thought mem settings were higher than that, I remember sitting around 60% with TF3D on a stock rom, but with TF3D2.1 and the Tachi Phone Canvas it's more like 80%. My experience is that it is really difficult to use Opera without running out of memory and using other big programs.

bluruld 09-03-2009 05:14 PM

Great post.

I flashed to MightyRom6.5 a few weeks ago and wondered why when I went to my home screen to change programs, why suddenly they closed. I'm not sure what my page pool is, I've never messed with that. Also by the looks of it I use the HTC dialer.

When I have some free time I wanted to figure out the best stripped down WM6.5 and put SPB3 on it. That's the problem though, having the free time to make my TP function perfectly.

oldpueblo 09-03-2009 05:39 PM

That's with the regular TF3D not the updated one floating around on other ROMs. Remember the percentage number gets affected by whatever pagepool you are using. With Verizon's stock ROM having such a low pagepool you of course have a higher percentage of free memory, so you can't really use the percentage as a baseline. The pagepool is changed on the ROM before it's flashed, you'll see a pagepool changer app in the directory of the ROM.

bluruld 09-03-2009 06:23 PM

What is the recommend Vz pagepool?

ls1norcal 09-03-2009 07:05 PM

What I dont understand is why after a few hours of using my phone im at 80 percent memory with no programs open after starting up with 56 megs used after a soft reset.

91ludesit 09-03-2009 08:54 PM

Why in the heck aren't you using SSK? I am using SSK 2.6.5 on WM6.1. I have a 12 meg pagepool and all the caches set at maximum. I am using Manila 2.1 with the tachi dialer and have around 37 megs free on average. Seemed like a decent enough balance for me.