PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 | HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

appzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to appzattak Send a message via MSN to appzattak Send a message via Yahoo to appzattak Send a message via Skype™ to appzattak
Question What is the best ringtone format and quality to use?

I make all my rings tones by using songs from my mp3 collection, I then slice em down to 30 seconds by using Audacity. Then just drop em on my storage card. My question is they seem to be low in sound and not always very clear, so what do you think the best format/quality is to use. Some of these same ringtones I convert to 3g2 for my kids' Exclaim and Rant and they sound way better on their phones.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:32 PM
R.I.P. B & Gary. 12/20/11
Pocket PC: JB 32GB iPhone 4 w/ 5.0.1
Carrier: VZW

Batman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: What is the best ringtone format and quality to use?

i use htc mp3 trimmer to make my ringtones and they sound pretty good..

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24532
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Hero (Backup), Samsung Epic (Current)

iviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regulariviyth0s is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to iviyth0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake044 View Post
i use htc mp3 trimmer to make my ringtones and they sound pretty good..

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24532
+1
Old 09-02-2009, 06:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

cchris81 is keeping up the good workcchris81 is keeping up the good work

The smaller the file the faster it will load up. With the older ppc's i used wav files (becuase they were uncompressed and actually worked faster) but the TP is good w/ MP3 ringers. I would however, if on sprint, set them to 22 or 23 seconds as it never really rings longer than that, and it will load a little quicker
Old 09-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

appzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to appzattak Send a message via MSN to appzattak Send a message via Yahoo to appzattak Send a message via Skype™ to appzattak

Thanks for the comments, however not one of you addressed my question. I already know how and the tools to use to do so. HTC Mp3trimmer does nothing more magical that Audacity. I'm not having a problem wiht them "loading".

My question was what formats do others use and what quality settings, i.e. 128kbps, 44,000hz...etc?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Actually, the last comment addressed it perfectly... it's not a matter of format quality, it's a matter of file size and compressed/uncompressed. The smaller, shorter the clip the better (it's actually 18-20 seconds before a call goes to voice mail).

I use MP3's for song clips because I get 20 seconds of the tune in a small file but I use WAV files for sound effect clips because I get faster uncompressed file without a huge file.

As for the issue raised about 128kbps, etc etc... well, I'd say that largely depends on the song. There's just NO bass at all on the TP speakers, so if you're trying to go gangsta with a ring tone, you're gonna be disappointed. Since you're using Audacity, avoid amplifying the tune too loud, and you'll probably be fine. Right now I'm using the theme song from Psych, and it works out pretty fantastic.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

i actually take the bass out of ringtones when i make a tingtone. and i save my ringtones at 80kbps stereo. i made the same tone (both from scratch) and made a 128kbps stereo and 80kbps stereo and it didnt sound different to me so i just use 80kbps
GoldWave FTW!!!!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
Actually, the last comment addressed it perfectly... it's not a matter of format quality, it's a matter of file size and compressed/uncompressed. The smaller, shorter the clip the better (it's actually 18-20 seconds before a call goes to voice mail).

I use MP3's for song clips because I get 20 seconds of the tune in a small file but I use WAV files for sound effect clips because I get faster uncompressed file without a huge file.

As for the issue raised about 128kbps, etc etc... well, I'd say that largely depends on the song. There's just NO bass at all on the TP speakers, so if you're trying to go gangsta with a ring tone, you're gonna be disappointed. Since you're using Audacity, avoid amplifying the tune too loud, and you'll probably be fine. Right now I'm using the theme song from Psych, and it works out pretty fantastic.
I guess I dont understand the logic of smaller = bettersound quality? But ok. Not looking for any bass as I cannot stand rap crap/hip hop...etc. I do not do any amplifying either.

I guess I'll just play with it more.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 AM
the World Watcher
Pocket PC: LG Optimus

strra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIPstrra is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to strra

a lot of people complain about the ringtone delay, calling it a touch pro bug but it has nothing to do with the TP. in windows mobile, if you use a WAV, it'll eliminate that delay (though it's never bugged me and i honestly don't understand why people whine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by appzattak View Post
...I cannot stand rap crap/hip hop...etc.
you can't spell "crap" without "rap"
Old 09-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Spiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuffSpiderman313 knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Spiderman313

Quote:
Originally Posted by appzattak View Post
I guess I dont understand the logic of smaller = bettersound quality? But ok. Not looking for any bass as I cannot stand rap crap/hip hop...etc. I do not do any amplifying either.

I guess I'll just play with it more.
Didn't like that comment about rap. Me personally I use Sony Sound Forge. Amplify about 5 decibels, cut out most of the bass. Save as Mp3 or WMA 192.

This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro