PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   What is the best ringtone format and quality to use? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=82285)

appzattak 09-02-2009 05:13 PM

What is the best ringtone format and quality to use?

I make all my rings tones by using songs from my mp3 collection, I then slice em down to 30 seconds by using Audacity. Then just drop em on my storage card. My question is they seem to be low in sound and not always very clear, so what do you think the best format/quality is to use. Some of these same ringtones I convert to 3g2 for my kids' Exclaim and Rant and they sound way better on their phones.

Batman 09-02-2009 05:32 PM

Re: What is the best ringtone format and quality to use?

i use htc mp3 trimmer to make my ringtones and they sound pretty good..

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24532

iviyth0s 09-02-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jake044 (Post 1135962)
i use htc mp3 trimmer to make my ringtones and they sound pretty good..

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24532

+1:headbang:

cchris81 09-02-2009 06:22 PM

The smaller the file the faster it will load up. With the older ppc's i used wav files (becuase they were uncompressed and actually worked faster) but the TP is good w/ MP3 ringers. I would however, if on sprint, set them to 22 or 23 seconds as it never really rings longer than that, and it will load a little quicker

appzattak 09-02-2009 06:36 PM

Thanks for the comments, however not one of you addressed my question. I already know how and the tools to use to do so. HTC Mp3trimmer does nothing more magical that Audacity. I'm not having a problem wiht them "loading".

My question was what formats do others use and what quality settings, i.e. 128kbps, 44,000hz...etc?

GoodThings2Life 09-02-2009 08:27 PM

Actually, the last comment addressed it perfectly... it's not a matter of format quality, it's a matter of file size and compressed/uncompressed. The smaller, shorter the clip the better (it's actually 18-20 seconds before a call goes to voice mail).

I use MP3's for song clips because I get 20 seconds of the tune in a small file but I use WAV files for sound effect clips because I get faster uncompressed file without a huge file.

As for the issue raised about 128kbps, etc etc... well, I'd say that largely depends on the song. There's just NO bass at all on the TP speakers, so if you're trying to go gangsta with a ring tone, you're gonna be disappointed. Since you're using Audacity, avoid amplifying the tune too loud, and you'll probably be fine. Right now I'm using the theme song from Psych, and it works out pretty fantastic.

psycho_maniac 09-02-2009 09:54 PM

i actually take the bass out of ringtones when i make a tingtone. and i save my ringtones at 80kbps stereo. i made the same tone (both from scratch) and made a 128kbps stereo and 80kbps stereo and it didnt sound different to me so i just use 80kbps
GoldWave FTW!!!!

appzattak 09-03-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life (Post 1136356)
Actually, the last comment addressed it perfectly... it's not a matter of format quality, it's a matter of file size and compressed/uncompressed. The smaller, shorter the clip the better (it's actually 18-20 seconds before a call goes to voice mail).

I use MP3's for song clips because I get 20 seconds of the tune in a small file but I use WAV files for sound effect clips because I get faster uncompressed file without a huge file.

As for the issue raised about 128kbps, etc etc... well, I'd say that largely depends on the song. There's just NO bass at all on the TP speakers, so if you're trying to go gangsta with a ring tone, you're gonna be disappointed. Since you're using Audacity, avoid amplifying the tune too loud, and you'll probably be fine. Right now I'm using the theme song from Psych, and it works out pretty fantastic.

I guess I dont understand the logic of smaller = bettersound quality? But ok. Not looking for any bass as I cannot stand rap crap/hip hop...etc. I do not do any amplifying either.

I guess I'll just play with it more.

strra 09-03-2009 09:03 AM

a lot of people complain about the ringtone delay, calling it a touch pro bug but it has nothing to do with the TP. in windows mobile, if you use a WAV, it'll eliminate that delay (though it's never bugged me and i honestly don't understand why people whine)

Quote:

Originally Posted by appzattak (Post 1136851)
...I cannot stand rap crap/hip hop...etc.

you can't spell "crap" without "rap" ;)

Spiderman313 09-03-2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appzattak (Post 1136851)
I guess I dont understand the logic of smaller = bettersound quality? But ok. Not looking for any bass as I cannot stand rap crap/hip hop...etc. I do not do any amplifying either.

I guess I'll just play with it more.

Didn't like that comment about rap. Me personally I use Sony Sound Forge. Amplify about 5 decibels, cut out most of the bass. Save as Mp3 or WMA 192.