PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 11:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: US Cellular

asbestos is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any thoughts on battery life?

I figured I would ask in this forum because I have tried so many different ROM's but here goes:

I have a USC Touch Pro and no matter what ROM I use, my battery can go from 100% to 20% in a few hours. I updated to a different radio (newest USC one) and it didn't seem to do much. Should I give another radio a try?
Old 08-30-2009, 01:07 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Any thoughts on battery life?

Moved to the HTC Touch Pro forum.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Carrier formerly known as Alltel

diveman is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiveman is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiveman is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardiveman is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbestos View Post
I figured I would ask in this forum because I have tried so many different ROM's but here goes:

I have a USC Touch Pro and no matter what ROM I use, my battery can go from 100% to 20% in a few hours. I updated to a different radio (newest USC one) and it didn't seem to do much. Should I give another radio a try?
lots of good reading on your touch pro here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730
Old 08-30-2009, 03:43 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

ive found that every 6.5Rom i flash, has improved battery life over my old stock set up...

Silence and Black Dragon Roms are the 2 im currently running
Old 08-30-2009, 04:26 PM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

my battery life is better with all 6.5 roms ive used.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:50 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to raidzero

I was running the latest VZW radio, my wife is running the stock sprint radio. We both run the same rom, but I was down to 59% (from about 90%) by the end of a 90 minute movie and hers had decreased by a maybe 2 or 3%.

anyway it seems that yes the radio plays a big part. (at least in my situation) we are both on sprint. I just flashed the latest sprint and will see how that treats my battery.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo Shift 4G

haus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuffhaus knows their stuff

If you're in a situation where your battery is draining from 100% to 20% in a few hours, (few being defined as less than 5 in this case) no new ROM/radio is going to help you. You have a systemic issue that needs to be solved, perhaps one of:

1. Wifi on all day
2. Terrible signal strength
3. 3+ hours of voice use
4. Dead battery
5. Rogue process using up processor cycles

Is your phone constantly hot? If so, that indicates (5). It's a big clue when you're not on a call and the top back part of your phone (above the battery) is warm to the touch when the phone is not supposed to be doing anything.

If your battery goes from 100% to 20% from 8am to 6pm with an hour or two of voice usage and push email going all day, that's about normal for a stock TP and battery.

What software do you have installed? How often do your POP accounts poll? Do you have any weather apps that download data in the background? Do you tether at all?

With respect to Raidzero's post about radios: you have exactly the same apps installed on those two phones, everything is identical except for the radio? I'm shocked and (honestly) in disbelief that radio software could account for ~40% battery difference in 90 minutes. (edit: corrected % and time)

Last edited by haus; 08-30-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:27 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to raidzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by haus View Post
If you're in a situation where your battery is draining from 100% to 20% in a few hours, (few being defined as less than 5 in this case) no new ROM/radio is going to help you. You have a systemic issue that needs to be solved, perhaps one of:

1. Wifi on all day
2. Terrible signal strength
3. 3+ hours of voice use
4. Dead battery
5. Rogue process using up processor cycles

Is your phone constantly hot? If so, that indicates (5). It's a big clue when you're not on a call and the top back part of your phone (above the battery) is warm to the touch when the phone is not supposed to be doing anything.

If your battery goes from 100% to 20% from 8am to 6pm with an hour or two of voice usage and push email going all day, that's about normal for a stock TP and battery.

What software do you have installed? How often do your POP accounts poll? Do you have any weather apps that download data in the background? Do you tether at all?

With respect to Raidzero's post about radios: you have exactly the same apps installed on those two phones, everything is identical except for the radio? I'm shocked and (honestly) in disbelief that radio software could account for ~40% battery difference in 90 minutes. (edit: corrected % and time)
yes the same rom, the only difference is she had live search installed and titaniumradar configured. However she is using gmail push (every ten mins) and I am on exchange push (as items arrive). I have always used exchange as items arrive. I am going to run this sprint radio for a few more days and see how it works and probably will end up flashing back to stock. also, at our apartment signal strength is AWFUL, I am at -95dbm most times.

it makes sense to me when I think about device drivers/firmware, they probably have been written to try harder to find a signal, like a priority issue or something, or to just accept that they have a low signal and not do anything about it.. radio A might be programmed to make network a priority while radio B might be more passive, it makes sense to me that radio B would be easier on the battery..

Last edited by raidzero; 08-31-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

dole is becoming a great contributor

Bad signal strength was my problem, flipping between Ev and 1X. I've been running stock Sprint since release, at work if I don't switch to roaming only, my batt'll go from 92 to 20-30 percent in about 9 hours. Switch to roaming only, I'll usually leave work with 50-60. No push e-mail, no wi-fi, no bluetooth and that's with no to very little voice calling.

Probably common knowledge to most, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. :/
Verizon: Motorola v325

"Make a u-turn, and then, continue"
Old 08-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic

Scoob is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScoob is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScoob is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScoob is becoming a PPCGeeks regularScoob is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

There has been a lot of talk about Lumos and some chefs are cooking it into their ROMS- check it out here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=450318

I've used it and am a believer in it now.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro