PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Any thoughts on battery life? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=81660)

asbestos 08-30-2009 11:08 AM

Any thoughts on battery life?

I figured I would ask in this forum because I have tried so many different ROM's but here goes:

I have a USC Touch Pro and no matter what ROM I use, my battery can go from 100% to 20% in a few hours. I updated to a different radio (newest USC one) and it didn't seem to do much. Should I give another radio a try?

rstoyguy 08-30-2009 01:07 PM

Re: Any thoughts on battery life?

Moved to the HTC Touch Pro forum.

diveman 08-30-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asbestos (Post 1128924)
I figured I would ask in this forum because I have tried so many different ROM's but here goes:

I have a USC Touch Pro and no matter what ROM I use, my battery can go from 100% to 20% in a few hours. I updated to a different radio (newest USC one) and it didn't seem to do much. Should I give another radio a try?

lots of good reading on your touch pro here http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=42730

boredandtattooed 08-30-2009 03:43 PM

ive found that every 6.5Rom i flash, has improved battery life over my old stock set up...

Silence and Black Dragon Roms are the 2 im currently running

darren.wlsn1 08-30-2009 04:26 PM

my battery life is better with all 6.5 roms ive used.

raidzero 08-30-2009 08:50 PM

I was running the latest VZW radio, my wife is running the stock sprint radio. We both run the same rom, but I was down to 59% (from about 90%) by the end of a 90 minute movie and hers had decreased by a maybe 2 or 3%.

anyway it seems that yes the radio plays a big part. (at least in my situation) we are both on sprint. I just flashed the latest sprint and will see how that treats my battery.

haus 08-30-2009 09:57 PM

If you're in a situation where your battery is draining from 100% to 20% in a few hours, (few being defined as less than 5 in this case) no new ROM/radio is going to help you. You have a systemic issue that needs to be solved, perhaps one of:

1. Wifi on all day
2. Terrible signal strength
3. 3+ hours of voice use
4. Dead battery
5. Rogue process using up processor cycles

Is your phone constantly hot? If so, that indicates (5). It's a big clue when you're not on a call and the top back part of your phone (above the battery) is warm to the touch when the phone is not supposed to be doing anything.

If your battery goes from 100% to 20% from 8am to 6pm with an hour or two of voice usage and push email going all day, that's about normal for a stock TP and battery.

What software do you have installed? How often do your POP accounts poll? Do you have any weather apps that download data in the background? Do you tether at all?

With respect to Raidzero's post about radios: you have exactly the same apps installed on those two phones, everything is identical except for the radio? I'm shocked and (honestly) in disbelief that radio software could account for ~40% battery difference in 90 minutes. (edit: corrected % and time)

raidzero 08-31-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haus (Post 1129628)
If you're in a situation where your battery is draining from 100% to 20% in a few hours, (few being defined as less than 5 in this case) no new ROM/radio is going to help you. You have a systemic issue that needs to be solved, perhaps one of:

1. Wifi on all day
2. Terrible signal strength
3. 3+ hours of voice use
4. Dead battery
5. Rogue process using up processor cycles

Is your phone constantly hot? If so, that indicates (5). It's a big clue when you're not on a call and the top back part of your phone (above the battery) is warm to the touch when the phone is not supposed to be doing anything.

If your battery goes from 100% to 20% from 8am to 6pm with an hour or two of voice usage and push email going all day, that's about normal for a stock TP and battery.

What software do you have installed? How often do your POP accounts poll? Do you have any weather apps that download data in the background? Do you tether at all?

With respect to Raidzero's post about radios: you have exactly the same apps installed on those two phones, everything is identical except for the radio? I'm shocked and (honestly) in disbelief that radio software could account for ~40% battery difference in 90 minutes. (edit: corrected % and time)

yes the same rom, the only difference is she had live search installed and titaniumradar configured. However she is using gmail push (every ten mins) and I am on exchange push (as items arrive). I have always used exchange as items arrive. I am going to run this sprint radio for a few more days and see how it works and probably will end up flashing back to stock. also, at our apartment signal strength is AWFUL, I am at -95dbm most times.

it makes sense to me when I think about device drivers/firmware, they probably have been written to try harder to find a signal, like a priority issue or something, or to just accept that they have a low signal and not do anything about it.. radio A might be programmed to make network a priority while radio B might be more passive, it makes sense to me that radio B would be easier on the battery..

dole 08-31-2009 01:30 PM

Bad signal strength was my problem, flipping between Ev and 1X. I've been running stock Sprint since release, at work if I don't switch to roaming only, my batt'll go from 92 to 20-30 percent in about 9 hours. Switch to roaming only, I'll usually leave work with 50-60. No push e-mail, no wi-fi, no bluetooth and that's with no to very little voice calling.

Probably common knowledge to most, but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. :/

Scoob 08-31-2009 01:39 PM

There has been a lot of talk about Lumos and some chefs are cooking it into their ROMS- check it out here.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=450318

I've used it and am a believer in it now.