PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

thematrixkid17 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Strange use of fonts

Ok, so, I was changing my fonts for titanium by loading fonts into the /Windows/Fonts/ folder and editing the /Windows/Titanium_480x640.cpr and /Windows/Titanium_640x480.cpr

What I did was transfer the files to my PC, then open them in notepad and use find/replace to replace Tahoma with whatever fonts I was trying.

Turns out, I didn't like any of the changes I had made, so I restored backups of the files that I had made before I had changed anything. Titanium is back to normal, but now I notice that my dropdown programs list is using a different font, and I just happened to notice that the Facebook application is using a different font too.

So, I went to my fonts folder and tried to delete all the fonts that I had installed, but it failed. (I assume this is because they're in use)

I'm totally stumped. Why are these fonts taking over my phone?!?!? How can I get this back to normal?

Thanks in advance,
Justin
Old 08-30-2009, 02:37 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Re: Strange use of fonts

Well, one way would be a hard reset. Don't know if you want to do that though.
There was a thread on this site very recently with some cabs that would change fonts systemwide. Maybe you could use one of those and get something more to your liking.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: verizon

schollianmj is becoming a PPCGeeks regularschollianmj is becoming a PPCGeeks regularschollianmj is becoming a PPCGeeks regularschollianmj is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

yea, search for Raidzero's font cabs. he has one for Tahoma.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:10 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to raidzero

here's what to do: when you put in custom fonts in \windows\fonts, the system will automatically use the first one in \windows\fonts by default (why? we have no idea - it's microsoft). I do not know where windows keeps its default fonts because \windows\fonts is initially empty. so the quick and dirty workaround is to make a copy of tahoma.ttf (get it from your windows PC) and call it AAAAA.ttf and place it in \windows\fonts. This way you can call whatever custom fonts you like in your applications or whatever and still have the system use tahoma by default for everything else like the dialer, or mp3 trimmer, or google maps.

don't despair, just put aaaa.ttf in there and soft reset, then you can delete whatever fonts you dont want in there because they wont be in use. after that you can probably delete aaaa.ttff too. hope it helps!

I do not have a cab for tahoma, but my multifont script for changing titanium fonts does.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

thematrixkid17 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
here's what to do: when you put in custom fonts in \windows\fonts, the system will automatically use the first one in \windows\fonts by default (why? we have no idea - it's microsoft). I do not know where windows keeps its default fonts because \windows\fonts is initially empty. so the quick and dirty workaround is to make a copy of tahoma.ttf (get it from your windows PC) and call it AAAAA.ttf and place it in \windows\fonts. This way you can call whatever custom fonts you like in your applications or whatever and still have the system use tahoma by default for everything else like the dialer, or mp3 trimmer, or google maps.

don't despair, just put aaaa.ttf in there and soft reset, then you can delete whatever fonts you dont want in there because they wont be in use. after that you can probably delete aaaa.ttff too. hope it helps!

I do not have a cab for tahoma, but my multifont script for changing titanium fonts does.
Ok. Tried copying tahoma in as aaaaa.ttf. I ended up putting 5 copies of Tahoma as aaa.ttf, aaaa.ttf.....etc. Still didn't work. Then used your font changer script and input Tahoma. Everything is still the same. Not looking forward to a hard reset, as it would be my 5th this week. Any other ideas?

Edit: I'm using EnergyRom if that makes any difference
Old 08-30-2009, 11:23 AM
N00b

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community

You should only need 1 copy of tahoma as the first thing in \windows\fonts. once you do that use total commander or activesync (TC might be best) to delete all other fonts in \windows\fonts, soft reset. make sure you can see hidden files as they might be hidden???
Old 08-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

thematrixkid17 is a n00b

Quote:
You should only need 1 copy of tahoma as the first thing in \windows\fonts. once you do that use total commander or activesync (TC might be best) to delete all other fonts in \windows\fonts, soft reset. make sure you can see hidden files as they might be hidden???

I'm trying to delete the fonts, but I get an error "could not delete" when using total commander. I'm guessing that's because they're locked by whatever is currently using them?

UPDATE: I dug through my list of utilities to find good ol' File Explorer. And guess what? It delete the files no problem. After a reset, everything is back to normal.

Last edited by thematrixkid17; 08-30-2009 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:52 AM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematrixkid17 View Post
I'm trying to delete the fonts, but I get an error "could not delete" when using total commander. I'm guessing that's because they're locked by whatever is currently using them?

yes, open the dialer, what font is being displayed? also check mp3 trimmer if you have it. make sure your titanium is set to use tahoma, might try killing titanium first. I have never had this issue with fonts being so stubborn but maybe its different on energy?

something else I might try would be to place calibri in \windows\fonts and set titanium to use that, then soft reset.. if you have aaa.ttf in there and its tahoma, the dialer should be showing the right fonr when you make a call. right?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

thematrixkid17 is a n00b

Quote:
yes, open the dialer, what font is being displayed? also check mp3 trimmer if you have it. make sure your titanium is set to use tahoma, might try killing titanium first. I have never had this issue with fonts being so stubborn but maybe its different on energy?

something else I might try would be to place calibri in \windows\fonts and set titanium to use that, then soft reset.. if you have aaa.ttf in there and its tahoma, the dialer should be showing the right fonr when you make a call. right?

I've got it solved now. The problem was total commander that didn't want to delete the files. File Explorer did the trick, Thanks!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:57 AM
N00b

good times

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro