PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   My Touch Pro went swimming today (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=81351)

etc 08-27-2009 02:30 PM

My Touch Pro went swimming today

My TP went swimming today, in the bathroom - you know where.

I had it in an aftermarket case, not waterproof by any means. I fished it out after about 1 second.

Looked like it got dunked pretty good but not really soaked. I think the case slowed down water somewhat. But drops were coming out of it for a while.

Had it under a fan.

Started doing weird things, like not turn on, or start turning on but never really boot up, or boot up but have the screen off, or randomly cut off.

Finally came back to its sense after the swim and all seemed to works fine, including sound.

One casuality may have been the Li-Ion battery, it got discharged completely, so I wonder if it got shorted. I know I did not leave it in that state. I did manage to charge that battery so it *seems* to be OK now but I shall see if it developed a fast discharge or any other anomalies.

So this phone is not dunk proof at all.

rafyrod 08-27-2009 02:35 PM

Re: My Touch Pro went swimming today

hope your tp is fine tho...

echomatics 08-27-2009 02:38 PM

wow!
Happy to hear that it is ok for now.
Toilets are the number 1 culprits for screwing up phones.

etc 08-27-2009 02:43 PM

I had it in a Tad Gear BC8 case, it's very secure and doesn't come out of it nor does the case fall off your belt like many clipped case. Only problem is, if you belt is unbuckled and lose, it will slide off.

I need to adjust the velcro strap to be tighter.

pyro254750 08-27-2009 02:45 PM

i had a similar thread recently sharing my TP dunking experience. I was not so lucky. After much cleaning/drying and attempting to get it to work, I had everything working except the volume keys, they would randomly silence the phone. i just received my replacement yesterday afternoon and mailed my original back this morning.

drizzo91 08-27-2009 03:01 PM

do you mind if i borrow your phone to make a quick phone call?

ehh...nevermind lol

good to know that it is coming back to life though

etc 08-27-2009 03:32 PM

FWIW, I had a child in the famly soak my new 24" Dell LCD monitor with water. I mean, soak it. Got about a gallon of water onto -- and much into it. It looked like an acquarium. I didn't think the visible residue would go away but it did.

Took weeks to dry out under a fan but works as if nothing happened.

OTOH, I had what seemed like a few drops of spilled drink kill a keyboard.

I need to do more testing to the TP to make sure *all* works. Thus far I can make/receive calls, sound is good and so is vibrate, and it can charge.

apparently it didn't get *that* much water into it, but some kept coming out for about an hour between the keyboard and sliding screen.

*Scary* experience for sure.

pyro254750 08-27-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etc (Post 1125137)
FWIW, I had a child in the famly soak my new 24" Dell LCD monitor with water. I mean, soak it. Got about a gallon of water onto -- and much into it. It looked like an acquarium. I didn't think the visible residue would go away but it did.

Took weeks to dry out under a fan but works as if nothing happened.

OTOH, I had what seemed like a few drops of spilled drink kill a keyboard.

I need to do more testing to the TP to make sure *all* works. Thus far I can make/receive calls, sound is good and so is vibrate, and it can charge.

apparently it didn't get *that* much water into it, but some kept coming out for about an hour between the keyboard and sliding screen.

*Scary* experience for sure.

if you remove the back cover there is a water marker on the back of the phone above the battery, and one on the top edge of the battery near the contacts. Those will be a god indicator of how wet it actually got. If it got soaked down pretty good, they will be solid red. If not, they will still be in original condition, which is white with red stripes/x's.

etc 08-27-2009 03:53 PM

I found the water mark above the contacts for the battery -- it looks original, white with red stripes.

I think I was seconds away from the disaster.

OTOH, I had my 2 spare Li-Ion batteries go through a wash cycle in the washing machine - they were in a little plastic bag but got soaked pretty good.
Amazingly, they still work and appear to hold charge with no abnormal behavior. I assume no water got inside.

strra 08-27-2009 03:57 PM

same thing happened to my sony ux.... only that was $2300 instead of $300 :disgust: