PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint!
Threadstarter

veedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to veedubguru
Re: Touch Pro stops charging FIXED by no2chem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
this has BAD written all over it... whats the VERY LOW Temp cutoff, i bet its atleast a 100degrees... 140 or higher and your risking alot, just trying to tether longer.... and your battery isnt even whats actually getting hot, its the radio.. yeah i know that battery is what triggers, but its second hand heat really... the batteries dont get hot, these arent Moguls

you dont know how the device, the usb port, the radio, or the battery will react if you stay above the old cut of temp, which is what again?, for very long...

its a saftey issue, thats why its there, sure it sucks, but hey id rather my battery not explode while im trying to charge it and talk on the phone or use the comp...

be very very safe people...i recommend some kind of temperature reading/monitoring app or something, do we have those?, if u use something like this..
As for the cutoff, it's 33 degrees celcius which is closer to 90 farenhiet. Not much warmer that what body heat could do to it over prolonged time in a pocket.

Agreed that caution should still be observed. nuePowerCPL has the temperature reading for the battery, but it may not work while in disabled mode.

Since we know it's not the battery that gets hot, we'd be more likely to see smoked radio chips, not an exploding battery. Most li-on batteries DO have built in thermal circuit protection as a redundancy. Testing is the only way to know.

I will edit the first post to put more emphasis on the potential dangers.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubguru View Post

Since we know it's not the battery that gets hot, we'd be more likely to see smoked radio chips, not an exploding battery. Most li-on batteries DO have built in thermal circuit protection as a redundancy. Testing is the only way to know.

That's how I burned up my first TPro, fried the radio portion of the 1x notifations. They burned up. I couldn't receive the notification when my phone rang, or received text messages. All thanks to an upload a rom while tethering session... You all WILL have to watch the heat!

Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB View Post
fan is doing the job right about now, TP is fully charged and am getting some nice speed Bored, now we can start the tat thread .in VIP..Good move dude
ah yeah, forgot all about that one... guess i need to take some pics huh lol

Quote:
As for the cutoff, it's 33 degrees celcius which is closer to 90 farenhiet. Not much warmer that what body heat could do to it over prolonged time in a pocket.

Agreed that caution should still be observed. nuePowerCPL has the temperature reading for the battery, but it may not work while in disabled mode.

the batteries have a cutoff, but isnt that what your disabling with this???
i dont know that its on you to really warn everyone, i was just sayin is all... your post says their warnings and disclaimers on his site, dont worry about it
Old 08-25-2009, 11:02 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

i'm impressed with the idea, but allowing the phone to get hot enough to burn up the radio isn't worth it.. i have 3 batters, and if i go out and know i'm not going to be near a charger, i just throw one of the batteries in my friends pocketbook or something. if i'm at home, and i'm using my phone for a while, i'll just cycle through the batteries until they're dead, but that usually gives me more than enough time to do whatever i needed to do. it seems a bit safer than frying my phone.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

digiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardigiblur is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I never had this issue, but I don't use the wifirouter much. Since I'm using my laptop to tether I just plug it into the laptop and let it charge while tethering...sometimes 2-3 hours with no issues.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

I dont mind some smoked salmon, I love that and once in a blue moon some fried chicken....but frying radio and batties exploding....nah umma do like Ou2 and stick with extra batties and a fan when tethering.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:25 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Mine blew up before this. This does of course have an option to disable it. My example was that the radio can just blow. I had all the wrong things going. Unatended tethering session uploading a rom, a program constantly seeking a website cause it was down (weatherpanel a few months back). You have to use this responsibly...But it is a great util!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:31 PM
DaFlowMaster
Pocket PC: TP2 IPHONE 3GS 5.1.1
Carrier: GSM...

HBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributionsHBOOT should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to HBOOT

Dude here said he found a solution but then directs to nuerom, am i missing something here
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=548461

Hey Toyguy we have the same join date
Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: who knows
Carrier: probably sprint

no2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation levelno2chem can't get a higher reputation level

1 - i have no idea if the readings I'm getting from the ADC are even accurate, or where they are coming from. I measured temp with a calibrated thermometer, and I get about 50 degC from the radio chipset and 37degC from the battery.

2 - hardware limits are still there... this just overrides a soft limit that is present in the driver, my guess is that the engineers thought this was the maximum comfortable temperature to use the phone or something?

3 - the rf-related hardware should have thermal protection too, id hope....
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

Quote:
Since the window mount blocks the back, it warms up faster. .

Two things, take a drill to it and make holes to help air flow. Or add a thin aluminum plate, if you have the room, to act as a heat sink. I take the battery cover off mine and sit it on a 2"x3"x1/4" thick aluminum plate and have no problems with heat on longer teathering sessions!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro