PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 03:18 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to raidzero
WM 6.5 - benefits of modules vs files and you?

I have learned that modules have dedicated spots in RAM where they go when they load, same slot every time. This is the point of G'reloc or WM'reloc. When converting from module to file with recmod, we gain another module slot. In a VK we have an option to limit the maximum number of modules allowed. this is in my kitchen set to 535. I only have around 480 modules left in my ROM. is there anything to be gained from lowering the number of allowed modules? Is there any benefit to having more files than modules or vice versa? I am not so well-versed in windows mobile memory management. It seems to me like having DLLs as files would increase performance because they would not have to be translated, compiled, or whatever (if they even are at load time) and also keep module slots free, but if each module already has its home set in stone does it really matter about the number of free slots? Is this like the old argument of linux kernel modules vs inbuilt drivers? they must each have their pros and cons....

if this makes any sense to anyone I would love to hear opinions, or even better: facts on this matter.

Thanks!

Last edited by raidzero; 08-21-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx
Re: WM 6.5 - benefits of modules vs files and you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
I have learned that modules have dedicated spots in RAM where they go when they load, same slot every time. This is the point of G'reloc or WM'reloc. When converting from module to file with recmod, we gain another module slot. In a VK we have an option to limit the maximum number of modules allowed. this is in my kitchen set to 535. I only have around 480 modules left in my ROM. is there anything to be gained from lowering the number of allowed modules? Is there any benefit to having more files than modules or vice versa? I am not so well-versed in windows mobile memory management. It seems to me like having DLLs as files would increase performance because they would not have to be translated, compiled, or whatever (if they even are at load time) and also keep module slots free, but if each module already has its home set in stone does it really matter about the number of free slots? Is this like the old argument of linux kernel modules vs inbuilt drivers? they must each have their pros and cons....

if this makes any sense to anyone I would love to hear opinions, or even better: facts on this matter.

Thanks!
modules are good, as long as they do not overflow into slot 0, you can see how many modules are in slot 0 in VK by looking at the build lok, its about 1/4 of the page down.
Modules make apps open quicker and are faster overall, as long as you dont have too many. With the native 6.5 kernal, two more slots open up, allowing more module space. Read this post at xda da_g does a great job explaining it!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=544445
Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive

Is this a benefit of MS using Fat 64?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid @ 1.1GHz
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

raidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the communityraidzero is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via MSN to raidzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
Is this a benefit of MS using Fat 64?

FAT64??? I thought we were on TFAT..
Old 08-21-2009, 03:56 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive

Quote:
Originally Posted by raidzero View Post
FAT64??? I thought we were on TFAT..
Maybe we are...I thought Fat 64 was WinMo 6.0 and up.

I just came across this thread: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=51735

FormerPalmOS states:

Part 2 - File system and filters
The HTC Touch Pro uses only two file systems - FAT and IMGFS. FAT is what we as users interact with - FAT lives on both the internal flash storage and on the SD Card. IMGFS appears to be used only for updating the flash (ROM) image.

Not sure how accurate this information is and FAT sounds like it was a broad term in that post.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro