PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Proper Mugen 3K mAH initial charging?

Ok, I got the 3,000 mAH Mugen battery for my TP today. It really adds bulk to the phone. It is no longer comfortable in a pants pocket (though it may be fine in a jacket) nor is it comfortable to hold to your face for phone conversations, though I never found that comfortable anyway.

I put it in the phone, connected the TP to my USB sync cable which is attached to my PC, and turned the phone on. It recognized the battery fine, and began to charge it. I use the TP as my primary Internet connection, so I started Internet Sharing, opened the slider, connected, and surfed away merrily. A few hours later, it finished charging, and the d-pad LED lights went solid white. It has been that way since.

What should I do now to maximize the new battery's capacity? I have read that Li-Ion batteries do not like to be completely discharged, in fact it can damage them, so I'm hesitant to 'cycle' the battery. It's a rather expensive battery to fry.

Thanks....
Old 08-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Epic 4g
Carrier: Sprint

JokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuff
Re: Proper Mugen 3K mAH initial charging?

Well I have the seidio extended 2K battery..I turned the phone off before using the battery and charged for a solid 12 hrs before turning the phone on. Its just a rule I follow whenever I use a new battery.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokeZony0u View Post
Well I have the seidio extended 2K battery..I turned the phone off before using the battery and charged for a solid 12 hrs before turning the phone on. Its just a rule I follow whenever I use a new battery.
Unfortunately, I use my TP too much to be able do that. If I had a cradle that could accommodate the battery, that would be possible.

But - It will get a chance to charge undisturbed all tonight and part of tomorrow morning.

If it matters - At least with the stock 1340 mAH battery, once the TP is charged, it stays charged (solid white d-pad LEDs at all times) and does not overheat while it is connected to my PC, no matter how long I run Internet Sharing for. WiFi Internet Sharing might tax it, but I wouldn't know, I've never tried that.

As far as I know, Li-Ion batteries (and phones/chargers in general) are designed to slowly supply less and less current as the battery approaches full charge, ending with a constant trickle charge to keep the battery full. Also, as far as I understand, if the TP is supplying the battery with a trickle charge, it will pull more power from the USB cable (up to its 500 mA limit) when the phone is used, to keep the battery as close to 100% charge as possible. If the USB cable can supply all of the phone's power needs, the battery never gets discharged, and in fact keeps getting its trickle charge, correct?

If I am correct above - Isn't that the same thing as giving the battery a constant 12 hour phone-off charge?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro
Carrier: Bell

mrcarpenter is a n00b

1990 Called and it wants it old ways back. These are lithium ion (and poly) batteries in cell phones these days. They dont have a memory. Reset (hard maybe?) then get back to us.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarpenter View Post
1990 Called and it wants it old ways back. These are lithium ion (and poly) batteries in cell phones these days. They dont have a memory. Reset (hard maybe?) then get back to us.
Who are you referring to?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP

elosogrande7076 is keeping up the good workelosogrande7076 is keeping up the good work

this is a good question. When i bought my off of ebay it said to do 3 or 5 (cant remember which one) full cycles (fully charge up, then fully charge down) I ended up only doing one less of the full charge cycles that it recommended and i noticed that the power doesnt last like if first did. The first few times using it was great, lasted almost twice the time of the stock battery. After a month though, im getting about the same results of the stock battery.....so im wondering if there are some truths to the cycling effect??
Old 08-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

JokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuffJokeZony0u knows their stuff

Well actually what I do for the 12 hour charge is just my own preference- I realize these are Li-On's and generally don't need an initial charge any longer.

The battery that came from Seidio also has a slip saying to "Please allow up to 3-5 full cycle charges before the battery reaches maximum capacity". The reason why I buy from Seidio is because they generally have good customer service and..the battery comes with a 6 month warranty.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:09 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

i think if anything, you shouldve let it charge fully once before using it..

and usb charging isnt even giving it the full charging power it requires... im suprised a battery that size even charged while you tethered period... you must not be doing any downloading any basically just surfing and emailing etc...

i dont care if people make fun, but in my opinion Li-ion battery or not, every battery, thats comes in every phone, by any carrier suggests a full 12hr min charge b4 use... im sure thats not just for our health...

call me stupid, superstious, whatever... but i always fully charge and full drain on a new device the first time through.... and youll never see Me in a thread complaining about battery drain, so im doin something right
Old 08-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
i think if anything, you shouldve let it charge fully once before using it..

and usb charging isnt even giving it the full charging power it requires... im suprised a battery that size even charged while you tethered period... you must not be doing any downloading any basically just surfing and emailing etc...

i dont care if people make fun, but in my opinion Li-ion battery or not, every battery, thats comes in every phone, by any carrier suggests a full 12hr min charge b4 use... im sure thats not just for our health...

call me stupid, superstious, whatever... but i always fully charge and full drain on a new device the first time through.... and youll never see Me in a thread complaining about battery drain, so im doin something right
bored -

I use USB charging because I feel that it is less of a 'shock' to the battery, and in addition, the power is tightly regulated by my PC. I've used only USB charging since I first owned my Mogul. Assuming the phones are kept cool, I've never been able to cause a fully charged battery to begin discharging while hooked up to USB, even during long 2xx kB/sec transfers.

I never recall reading anything in the manual for my Mogul or Touch Pro suggesting a 12 hour initial charge, and I made it a point to read the owner's manual for both phones. The new battery came 'bare', nothing but a large back piece and the new battery, with small foam pieces to keep it from sliding around. These were wrapped in plastic and tape. Kinda left on my own to figure out the best practice there..

I did read about Li-Ion batteries online quite a bit, and they all make reference to keeping the battery as fully charged as possible, while also keeping it as cool as possible. Several sites also caution against fully draining a Li-Ion battery, warning that if they are drained too low, they will be unable to safely take a charge and an internal safety circuit will sever the link to the cells to prevent possible property damage. (ie, fire, boom, etc..)

I'd never make fun of you or call you stupid for your battery charging beliefs - You've shown that you are a smart guy in several threads.

I'll be tracking the runtime of this battery as best I can, and if it drops to less than ~80% of its rated capacity, I'll be notifying the manufacturer and getting a replacement. By my calculations, a 3,000 mAH battery should run for 9.51 hours if a 1,340 mAH battery runs for 4.25 hours. As far as I can determine, that 80% cutoff is anything less than about 7.60 hours.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:26 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
bored -

I use USB charging because I feel that it is less of a 'shock' to the battery, and in addition, the power is tightly regulated by my PC. I've used only USB charging since I first owned my Mogul. Assuming the phones are kept cool, I've never been able to cause a fully charged battery to begin discharging while hooked up to USB, even during long 2xx kB/sec transfers.

I never recall reading anything in the manual for my Mogul or Touch Pro suggesting a 12 hour initial charge, and I made it a point to read the owner's manual for both phones. The new battery came 'bare', nothing but a large back piece and the new battery, with small foam pieces to keep it from sliding around. These were wrapped in plastic and tape. Kinda left on my own to figure out the best practice there..

I did read about Li-Ion batteries online quite a bit, and they all make reference to keeping the battery as fully charged as possible, while also keeping it as cool as possible. Several sites also caution against fully draining a Li-Ion battery, warning that if they are drained too low, they will be unable to safely take a charge and an internal safety circuit will sever the link to the cells to prevent possible property damage. (ie, fire, boom, etc..)

I'd never make fun of you or call you stupid for your battery charging beliefs - You've shown that you are a smart guy in several threads.

I'll be tracking the runtime of this battery as best I can, and if it drops to less than ~80% of its rated capacity, I'll be notifying the manufacturer and getting a replacement. By my calculations, a 3,000 mAH battery should run for 9.51 hours if a 1,340 mAH battery runs for 4.25 hours. As far as I can determine, that 80% cutoff is anything less than about 7.60 hours.
well ur phone does the protecting for you... our stock cords give 1A of output... i pretty sure usb charging only does half that(feel free to correct me).. but there is a difference somewhere in the output of power... usb charging has always been considered the slower and less reliable way to charge by most... do u use the "fastcharge" found on nuerom.com or something? this supposedly changes a default "block" in the phone thus allows for 1A ouput to come through your usb from your comp...

its on the top of page 4 in the "basics guide" included with your tp...and in asurion replacement packages....see pics

and i didnt mean anyone specifically making fun of my practice, it was just a phrase of generalization really...

but yeah keep people posted on if it was worth it to upgrade the battery... maybe just repost in here though, instead of making new threads everytime
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0022.jpg (449.1 KB, 3 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: jpg IMAG0023.jpg (721.5 KB, 2 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by boredandtattooed; 08-20-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: added pics

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro