PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Prizzo
Carrier: VZW

quadjacks is keeping up the good workquadjacks is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where to install Software?? SC or Main Mem!!!

Where to install Pocket PC software?
cant take credit, Source: http://www.ppcsg.com/

I think this could be a sticky, or maybe not! Just good info! As the biggest issue I see here, especially for VZW guys, such as myself, PPC Speed!

Where to install Pocket PC software?

Almost every application works best if installed in the MAIN MEMORY, we need to exercise proper memory/space management so as to keep our PPCs in optimal condition. This is because the more applications you install directly into the PPC's MAIN MEMORY = the more physical memory space it uses to store those application data = the less free program memory it has = the SLOWER your PPC becomes blink.gif.

1) INSTALL IN STORAGE CARD:
i) What should come here:
a. Ideal to dump all those non-important applications here like games as well as information applications, etc, that:
- do not require fast loading.
- do not monitor system resources (e.g. battery life, available memory, etc).
- do not consume a lot of system resources.

ii) Examples:
a. Most PPC games.
b. Dictionaries.
c. Language Translation softwares.
d. Educational softwares.
e, Mapping/GPS softwares.
f. Sprite Backup (storing it here has additional advantages).
g. MobiPocket Pro.

iii) Advantages:
a. The number of applications that can be put here is limited ONLY by the size of your SD Card, i.e. most stuff can and should go here.
b. Saves a lot of space in MAIN MEMORY, especially if you have large applications (i.e. over 10MB).

iv) Disadvantages:
a. Programs stored here run slowest (i.e. take a long time to load, especially for Today Plug-ins).
b. Icons in Program Menu load slower (i.e. take a longer time to appear).
c. Icons placed in the Start Menu will appear as squares (this is because the PPC system cannot find the images of the icons in time).

2) INSTALL INTO STORAGE:
a. Stuff that you initially wanted install into MAIN MEMORY for faster loading of Today Plug-ins but fret wasting precious space in there. Like they say, "when no fish, prawn also good", so STORAGE is the next best option.
b. You want your icons to appear beautifully as their original states instead of squares in the Start Menu.

ii) Examples:
a. Today Plug-ins such as SBSH's CalenderPlus Today, SBSH's Pocket Weather, etc.
b. System applications which do not require speed such as XP Shutdown, OmegaOne’s 1-Pass, etc.

iii) Advantages:
a. Programs stored here will not be wiped out after a hard-reset, but note that:
- You have to manually access them from a file explorer.
- Some of them might not work because of missing .dll files and registry values.
b. Make FULL USE of other means of space given to us.
c. Icons (from the programs installed in STORAGE) can appear in their original states in the Start Menu.

iv) Disadvantages:
a. Some PPCs have very little space in their STORAGE (e.g. O2 Mini only has about 7MB).
b. A handful of programs will not work if placed here.

3) INSTALL INTO MAIN MEMORY:
a. Most suitable for comprehensive system monitoring programs, multi-functional Today Plug-ins etc.
b. Known programs that can work only in MAIN MEMORY (e.g. Microsoft Reader, Carlsoft Ruler, etc).

ii) Examples:
a. SPB Pocket Plus
b. SPB GPRS Monitor
c. OmegaOne Battery Pack Pro
d. Symantec Antivirus for Handhelds
e. ScaryBear Check Notifications and Notify Clear Fix
f. Resco Explorer 2005.

iii) Advantages:
a. Fastest loading of all the options.
b. Softwares installed here are most stable.

iv) Disadvantages:
a. Limited space in MAIN MEMORY.
b. Worse of all, the more applications you install here = the slower your system response.
c. Therefore, you'll have to choose carefully what you put there.

Last edited by quadjacks; 08-18-2009 at 07:36 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Where to install Software?? SC or Main Mem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadjacks View Post
I think this could be a sticky, or maybe not! Just good info! As the biggest issue I see here, especially for VZW guys, such as myself, PPC Speed!

Click here to view info!
i almost thought your link, was your sig... took me a sec lol

good stuff... maybe just copy paste it though, as some here may think u forgot the link
Old 08-18-2009, 02:20 PM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Carrier: Sprint

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive
Re: Where to install Software?? SC or Main Mem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
i almost thought your link, was your sig... took me a sec lol

good stuff... maybe just copy paste it though, as some here may think u forgot the link
+1. Good link and pretty descriptive.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro