PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 06:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro.
Carrier: Sprint

Rento_VW is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Constant tethering?

Will this still use data if I let my laptop sit idling and tethering? I been disconnecting from tethering once I go off to do other things... But I do use the internet A LOT...

So I was wondering what would be the best way to tether and not get caught?

I do remember there being a 5GB limit per month?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker
Re: Constant tethering?

I use WMWiFiRouter, average 7-8gigs per month and have no issues, If they do ask tell them you have Sirius online.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

wow.... 7-8... and how does Sirius online excuse work?! what if they ask for proof?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:36 PM
VIP PATROL
Pocket PC: EVO 4G/3D
Carrier: SPRINT

JAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via MSN to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via Yahoo to JAVIERBOND007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rento_VW View Post
wow.... 7-8... and how does Sirius online excuse work?
I was wondering the samething

Old 08-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint!

veedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to veedubguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVIERBOND69 View Post
I was wondering the samething
It's just that streaming Pandora or Sirius is a pretty constant data stream. My kid uses Pandora, and Yahoo Messenger on his phone all day, every day. His data usually averages 7GB to 12GB per month which is about what I use when tethering several times a week. There are lots of free streaming media options these days. Your phone most likely came with YouTube. If you were to use it all day, every day, had your phone pulling your emails every 15 minutes, were using google maps, etc... you'd see really high data amounts. And that's just using the software that the carrier included with the device.

Since streaming media has become so popular, the carriers aren't doing much about the high data use of their customers. You can rack up a huge amount of data doing stuff that PDAs are made to do without tethering. So long as you have an unlimited data plan, it's most likely going to be "all good".

I had 1 month with Verizon that was almost 25GB and they didn't say a thing. Highest I've had with Sprint so far was 18GB. (I use limewire a lot for audio and video, with some video files as big as 1.5GB each) So it's really unlikely that you'll be "caught" tethering.

Notice I said unlikely. I would hate to see you be the first person to get nailed for it, then me feel bad about telling you all this. All I can say is I tether every day, use gobs of data, nobody on Sprint's end seems to care.

Last edited by veedubguru; 08-17-2009 at 10:30 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:19 PM
VIP PATROL
Pocket PC: EVO 4G/3D
Carrier: SPRINT

JAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on repJAVIERBOND007 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via MSN to JAVIERBOND007 Send a message via Yahoo to JAVIERBOND007

Thanks for that info, interesting....
Old 08-18-2009, 12:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

yes... thank you very much... i'll just stay tethered when i'm home and stuff from now on than... Thanks a ton.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:57 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

wow i never go beyond 2-3 gb even on 'heavy' months where I tether for a couple weeks. Whenever I'm tethered I try not to download too much stuff though.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch

daqq is just getting started

Unless I absolutely have to tether, I still prefer using my home connection. I not out using my laptop away from home much, and having a 15 mbit connection > rev. 0.

When I do tether, its only because I'm miles away from a router.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:56 AM
MIA
Pocket PC: All HTC CDMA PPC
Carrier: Alltel

conflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation levelconflipper can't get a higher reputation level

I am having to tehter all the time, and i download A LOT, like a LOT, 3 sets of GPS maps, at 1 GB each, and around 30 roms or so, all average 175 MB, plus all the other odd and end type files, I leave my phones hooked up to PC all the time, even when sleeping, I do use Wifi Router, also if you are using a cooked rom, isext.dll is what is used to send data to carrier that you are tethering, ask the Chef if they have that removed.

But I do a lot of downloads, i remember one night, topping over 2GB, then add the 3 GB of maps, and I am already over my limit, with 28 more days to go of tethering, I am not worried about it, been doing that for 2 months, and havnet got anything for it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro