PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 12:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

flyinonice4 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can't Charge without HTC audio adapter connected

When connecting my touch pro to my computer, I am now forced to connect the audio cable that came with the touch pro to my usb cable. I know that the usb cable isnt going bad as I connect many other devices with it without a problem. However, to transfer any data or to charge my phone via the computer I have to have that audio adapter connected otherwise it wont do anything. I have tried it with different computers and the same thing happens. Using the same cable connected to the wall charger allows the touch pro to charge without the adapter. Has anyone noticed anything like this?

On a side note, I cant get my old razr charger to work with the touch pro unless that audio adapter is connected as well. I know that this isn't something that normal people deal with and that is why I chose to say it on the side.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:08 AM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level
Re: Can't Charge without HTC audio adapter connected

Sounds to me like you are using a cheap aftermarket USB cable. I had similar issues with some cheaper cords. If it is the cord that came with your phone, I'd say it's faulty. The stock cord should work fine by itself.

~My Ultimate WVGA Wallpapers Collection~
Donations accepted not expected!

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:29 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

rgreen60610 is a n00b

i had the same problem it is the data cable the power part of the cable still functions right but u need the audio coupler to do data/internet sharing...via computer i found this out because i received a new cable w/replacement phone but couldnt get internet sharing up so i messed around w/ it and no luck i had my old cable with the wires hanging out and tapped together and no problem at all i think its the transfer part of the cable that goes out thats why if you use the audio piece it works MY TAKE ON IT IF I HELPED SAY THANXXX
Old 08-17-2009, 01:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

That did help a little. However, I cant even charge it from the computer unless the audio adapter is present so its not just data. And then it also happens with the razr charger which I can verify works on both the old razr and on a blackberry world edition. In addition, that razr charger used to work when I first tried it out even without the audio adapter. My phone seems to charge alright so I dont know where the problem is coming from. I am going to scrounge around for another cable and find out if that one works without the audio adapter. If so, I will use the adapter only with the razr charger (this functions as my travel charger that I plug into my power inverter in my car).

EDIT: I just tried a really cheap usb cable and it doesnt work with anything so I cant really test that out. However, I did test the usb cable I have needed the audio adapter with on my camera and my camera was able to function just fine without the need of the adapter. Could it be that my usb port on my touch pro is going bad? I mean it works with the adapter, but I really shouldn't need to use that in this case. Plus, I can verify that this cable is not faulty.

Last edited by flyinonice4; 08-17-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:21 AM
"MODS"
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2/Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

santod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation levelsantod can't get a higher reputation level

I have successfully used mini usb cables that would charge their own devices, but not the Touch Pro. Same with data transfer. You need the stock cable or will be tied to your adapter with most other cables. It has to do with how the mini is wired.

Keep in mind that there are about 3 or 4 different "mini usb" connections that are pretty common.

Last edited by santod; 08-17-2009 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:05 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Id say its less the cable and more the phone itself. I have NO problem using ANY cable i try. Old mini, one from my Zen, stock one, even hacked an older 1A charger with an old old mini usb for an extra charger and everything i try works. Sounds like a setting on your phone is whacked, or the usb port on the phone is, but less likely since it works with the adapter plugged in.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: herman <- titan <- apache
Carrier: cricket

krielys is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinonice4 View Post
That did help a little. However, I cant even charge it from the computer unless the audio adapter is present so its not just data. And then it also happens with the razr charger which I can verify works on both the old razr and on a blackberry world edition. In addition, that razr charger used to work when I first tried it out even without the audio adapter. My phone seems to charge alright so I dont know where the problem is coming from. I am going to scrounge around for another cable and find out if that one works without the audio adapter. If so, I will use the adapter only with the razr charger (this functions as my travel charger that I plug into my power inverter in my car).

EDIT: I just tried a really cheap usb cable and it doesnt work with anything so I cant really test that out. However, I did test the usb cable I have needed the audio adapter with on my camera and my camera was able to function just fine without the need of the adapter. Could it be that my usb port on my touch pro is going bad? I mean it works with the adapter, but I really shouldn't need to use that in this case. Plus, I can verify that this cable is not faulty.
i know nothing about usb lol.. but i do know that the audio adapter has more connectors in it than the miniusb, so the audio adapter probably fits more snugly ? is the connector inside the phone loose at all ?

and im the same as Talon Pro - no problems ever getting a cable to work with my TP. i think the only one that doesnt do data transfer is the igo usb charger - and i dont think its even supposed to act as a data cable lol.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for the help everyone. Just an fyi, I am using the cable that came with the touch pro. So its not that I am using a cheap old cable.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinonice4 View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. Just an fyi, I am using the cable that came with the touch pro. So its not that I am using a cheap old cable.
The cable is of no nevermind. Its been proven for years that a regular USB Mini A cable works fine. Even the Sprint car charger has that end, not the proprietary HTC end.

Point is, you seem to ignore that there is SOMETHING wrong with the phone, either the port or software issues, because it will work when the adapter is plugged in. The phone knows its plugged in via an additional connection (only a guess really) and the software triggers the ports that would be available.

If you are running a custom ROM, im sure something there is causing it, if its stock, then something you have installed is causing the problem. I had my SIP keyboard screw up beyond repair when i installed the Weather Editor v1.1 cab, and had to do a hard reset. Now tell me why each time i do a hard reset, that i cant reproduce the issue?

There is a conflict plain and simple, you just need to look to the phone side of things, not the computer side.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:23 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II / HTC T7380, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83

The audio adapter might be tricking the phone into thinking its not plugged into a pc. And the motorolla usb charger probally does not have the extra wires in it that the phone needs to tell it that it is a wall charger.

Try this, go to the power settings and make sure the "When my device is turned on, do not charge while connected to the PC" is not checked.

It is the first panel in the power settings. Start > Settings > System > Power .

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro