PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Considering the Verizon HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=79692)

LookItsTheFatKid 08-16-2009 01:21 PM

Considering the Verizon HTC Touch Pro

My contract with T-Mobile just expired today and I'm looking to enter a new contract with Verizon. Right now I have a Motorola Rizr which has worked fine for me for the last 2 years. I've heard that the Touch Pro has terrible battery life. I dont plan on using the radio, wifi and bluetooth will be turned off unless I need them at some point, and I will check my email manually instead of having it set on a timer. How long would you expect the phones battery to hold up to regular texting? I don't really want to get an extended battery since the phone is thick enough as it is and carrying around extra batteries seems very inconvenient. It seems like people have terrible luck with these phones breaking on them. Is the Motorola Rizr a tough phone or am I apparently easy on phones? I have a hard time imagining going through 4 or 5 phones in a two year span. I've also heard that the Touch Pro responds slowly. Is this especially true since Verizon cut down the RAM that other versions have? I've heard that custom ROMs will solve the speed issues but is it a complete fix or is it a hardware problem?

Dr.8820 08-16-2009 01:24 PM

Re: Considering the Verizon HTC Touch Pro

you don't want the touch pro2 from tmobile?

LookItsTheFatKid 08-16-2009 01:28 PM

I'm not really happy with T-Mobiles service. I live in Maine, go to college in Massachusetts, and I've worked this summer in Connecticut. In Maine I live in a very rural town so I don't expect service there but my friends get much better service in that area than I do. In Massachusetts the service is generally pretty good but it can be spotty at times. Here in Connecticut when I'm on my lunch break at work I find that in one spot I get no service and I have to move the phone around until I suddenly get 3 or 4 bars in that one spot.

boredandtattooed 08-16-2009 01:30 PM

basically VWZs TP= junk vs. Every other carriers..

thats why most take a sprint TP over to VZW, if u can get someone kind enough to assist you now a days since they dont want nonbranded devices on thier network anymore...

the TP has battery issues yes, some are self created(BT,wifi,send/recieve schedules) some are built in(the vga screens pulls more power)..

the TPs can have other common issues as well: keyboard failure, usb ports going bad, screen/touch issues... though commonly complained about on here, youll still find plenty that virtual never have any issues what so ever...

custom roms for can speed things up sometimes, most times from the responses youll read in ROM threads...

i have 3 TPs on sprint.. my advice if your wanting something flashy, high end, etc.. Yet, want VZW either hold out for TP2, or if you want now and new, check out the Ominia 2, which is shortly follwed by Omnia Pro( 2 with a keyboard)

LookItsTheFatKid 08-16-2009 01:38 PM

I was considering the Samsung Omnia as well but I wasn't sure I would like not having a physical keyboard. I'd be alright with waiting but I'm on a family plan and my parents and sister don't want to wait. I don't think I want to spend a lot of extra money buyin an unlocked phone. Why would Verizon remove RAM from the phone?

*Edit* I see there is a thread here on activating Sprint phones on other networks. Would this work on any phone? Also is it relatively safe assuming I follow the directions exactly as posted?
*Edit2* After re-reading your post boredandtattooed is that what you were suggesting? Buying a sprint TP and trying to activate it on the Verizon network? Does the extra RAM really make that much of a difference?

Sorry for all the questions guys. Thanks a lot for being quick in answering them though.

Gesani 08-16-2009 01:47 PM

I use the VZW touch pro and i have not had any problems out of it except for a memory leak. I have tried 4 different roms and have not liked anyof them. with moderate usage i can go all day on one battery. i can pull it off the charger before i go to work at 9am and the battery will. be at 20% by 9pm. Thats with sending about 150 -200 text and picture message using the internet to look up information for customers, checking emails and looking at pictures on facebook. Ive never had a keyboard issue.

boredandtattooed 08-16-2009 01:48 PM

well a 100mbs ram more willmake a noticeable difference on any phone running basically identical systems...

You used to be able to take a sprint one over no hassle... VZW has tried to lock that down though since the alltel aquisition.. thats why i said if u can get a cool person on the phone.. i dunno how much difficulty people are having now a days, since i dont VZW...

basically theres always a way to do it... just depends on the lengths and to what degree of legality the person is looking for

***edits*** see above, a VZW TP user with no complaints, yet give it a bit and someone else will post how bad it is... everyone gets a diff experience..
your family can upgrade without you... upgrades are based off of device life, not account life... if you all got your phone/plan at same time, yes, your all eligible at the same time, but your elibility does not go away.. they can purchase new phones, and u can hold off....

are you lookin at these devices due to VZWs $99 promo?? if so, my buddy has an omnia and i never thought he wouldve jumped to a touchscreen/winMO device... he loves it, theres plenty of dedcated sites for it and a few good ROMs as well

janko10 08-16-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LookItsTheFatKid (Post 1104790)
I was considering the Samsung Omnia as well but I wasn't sure I would like not having a physical keyboard. I'd be alright with waiting but I'm on a family plan and my parents and sister don't want to wait. I don't think I want to spend a lot of extra money buyin an unlocked phone. Why would Verizon remove RAM from the phone?

*Edit* I see there is a thread here on activating Sprint phones on other networks. Would this work on any phone? Also is it relatively safe assuming I follow the directions exactly as posted?
*Edit2* After re-reading your post boredandtattooed is that what you were suggesting? Buying a sprint TP and trying to activate it on the Verizon network? Does the extra RAM really make that much of a difference?

Sorry for all the questions guys. Thanks a lot for being quick in answering them though.

No need to be sorry that's what we're here for.

I had a Sprint Touch Pro on VZW and while I liked it much better than the VZW version, I ran into one major problem... warranty.

I expected the phone to last and it just didn't. The keyboard died on me and there really wasn't much I could do but send it into HTC to have it repaired which takes weeks. While being at HTC, I wouldn't be able to use any other phone (I got the TP onto VZW through a loophole they've now closed. Really the only way to get it on now is to get your ESN added to the database and it's pretty hard at this point). If I activated another phone, I wouldn't be able to use the TP once it came back.

I enjoyed having the extra ram but in the end, the poor build quality of the TP (and the significant number of keyboard failures) just made it a problem. So I would advise against going that route at this point.

If you have to get a phone now and can't wait a few weeks for the TP2, the VZW is an ok option and at $99 is probably worth it. Lots of roms on here have been tweaked for the lower amount of ram and it's less of an issue now.

LookItsTheFatKid 08-16-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 1104806)

***edits*** see above, a VZW TP user with no complaints, yet give it a bit and someone else will post how bad it is... everyone gets a diff experience..
your family can upgrade without you... upgrades are based off of device life, not account life... if you all got your phone/plan at same time, yes, your all eligible at the same time, but your elibility does not go away.. they can purchase new phones, and u can hold off....

are you lookin at these devices due to VZWs $99 promo?? if so, my buddy has an omnia and i never thought he wouldve jumped to a touchscreen/winMO device... he loves it, theres plenty of dedcated sites for it and a few good ROMs as well

My main concern with the lack of a physical keyboard is that I don't want to use a stylus for texting. My fingers arent all that fat but I'm worried that it would be a lot harder without a keyboard. Otherwise I think that Omnia looks like a great option.

The price is what really has me looking at the phones. I have enough money from working this summer to buy a $500 or $600 phone unlocked I just can't justify spending that kind of money to myself.

Thanks for the input Gesani that sounds like it is similar to my own usage.
I thought about the warranty thing as well janko. I guess I will either get the Verizon TP or something different altogether because I don't want to be stuck without a phone for an extended period of time.

*Edit*
I guess I'm going to the Verizon store to try out the TP and the Samsung Omnia. I went to a Best Buy and another Verizon store around here and they didn't have either phone out. I called another Verizon Wireless store and they have both out. Would the Omnia be a better phone if I can get over not having the physical keyboard?

Gesani 08-16-2009 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LookItsTheFatKid (Post 1104826)

Would the Omnia be a better phone if I can get over not having the physical keyboard?

Yes. The Omnia is a fast phone. It has the same ram as the vzw tp but there is something about touchwiz that makes it smooth.