PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2009, 02:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint TouchPro on VZW
Carrier: Verizon

bmb2n is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Considering the Verizon HTC Touch Pro

Verizon Touch Pro 2 might be coming in Sep. 6. May be it's best to wait out a little while to get the newer device.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:05 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookItsTheFatKid View Post

*Edit*
I guess I'm going to the Verizon store to try out the TP and the Samsung Omnia. I went to a Best Buy and another Verizon store around here and they didn't have either phone out. I called another Verizon Wireless store and they have both out. Would the Omnia be a better phone if I can get over not having the physical keyboard?
good luck, most carriers/stores have removed the TP from display... the phone is rumored to be nearing End Of Life, which the way stores are removing them, that kinda supports that rumor...

you shouldnt find many stores with a TP on display
Old 08-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto RIZR
Carrier: Tmobile
Threadstarter

LookItsTheFatKid is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
good luck, most carriers/stores have removed the TP from display... the phone is rumored to be nearing End Of Life, which the way stores are removing them, that kinda supports that rumor...

you shouldnt find many stores with a TP on display
Yea they only have the Samsung Omnia. I called the store and they told me they had both the TP and the Omnia but when I got there they told me all they had was the Omnia. Then they tried selling me the Ozone but the buttons were way too small for me to text. One of the sales reps tried convincing me that the specification labeled memory was actually the storage. After that I gave up on getting much useful information out of them. One of the guys was very helpful though and he found a dummy TP for me to look at. I like the keys much better on the TP and I feel like I could actually text with them. As for the Omnia the keypads didnt seem to work all that well for me. Do the default keypads just suck?
Old 08-16-2009, 05:18 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

its an omnia, what keypads???

u mean the onscreen stuff???
Old 08-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesani View Post
I use the VZW touch pro and i have not had any problems out of it except for a memory leak. I have tried 4 different roms and have not liked anyof them. with moderate usage i can go all day on one battery. i can pull it off the charger before i go to work at 9am and the battery will. be at 20% by 9pm. Thats with sending about 150 -200 text and picture message using the internet to look up information for customers, checking emails and looking at pictures on facebook. Ive never had a keyboard issue.
For your memory leak, try lowering the pagepool before you flash. Setting the pagepool to 8 is recommended for Verizon.

Quote:
*Edit*
I guess I'm going to the Verizon store to try out the TP and the Samsung Omnia. I went to a Best Buy and another Verizon store around here and they didn't have either phone out. I called another Verizon Wireless store and they have both out. Would the Omnia be a better phone if I can get over not having the physical keyboard?

I've heard reviews that the VZW TP (which I have) is much better than the Omnia. I've never personally tried out the Omnia, just passing along what I heard from several people (a few of which switched to the TP and love it).

Quote:
Yea they only have the Samsung Omnia. I called the store and they told me they had both the TP and the Omnia but when I got there they told me all they had was the Omnia. Then they tried selling me the Ozone but the buttons were way too small for me to text. One of the sales reps tried convincing me that the specification labeled memory was actually the storage. After that I gave up on getting much useful information out of them. One of the guys was very helpful though and he found a dummy TP for me to look at. I like the keys much better on the TP and I feel like I could actually text with them. As for the Omnia the keypads didnt seem to work all that well for me. Do the default keypads just suck?
From everything I could find, there were very few (if any) of the VZW stores actually had the TP in store. Everywhere I went they said that corporate wasn't sending them any more HTC devices in store. But then they go and sell the Ozone... People are strange, man.

All in all, I love my VZW TP. But only after flashing to a new ROM (MightyROM6). That speeds it way up and makes the phone much more usable, and user-friendly. Plus, everything is covered under warranty.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
its an omnia, what keypads???

u mean the onscreen stuff???
Yea my bad I meant to say onscreen keyboard. I felt really awkward when I started texting on a regular old phone so maybe it would get easier on the Omnia. Is the touch screen on the Omnia more responsive than the one on the TP?
Old 08-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliptik View Post
All in all, I love my VZW TP. But only after flashing to a new ROM (MightyROM6). That speeds it way up and makes the phone much more usable, and user-friendly. Plus, everything is covered under warranty.

Hope that helps!
Yea I'm leaning towards the TP I think. How does your battery hold up and under what kind of usage? The battery is really my main concern. I've heard that different ROMs really help speed things up but the battery life seems to be pretty bad from most accounts.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

in my opinion, i would hold on before jumping ship. you don't want one of these "right now" phones when much better stuff is right around the corner. just my 2 pennies.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.8820 View Post
in my opinion, i would hold on before jumping ship. you don't want one of these "right now" phones when much better stuff is right around the corner. just my 2 pennies.
The only problem I have is that my family wants to switch to a new plan now. I don't mind waiting a little bit but I don't want to go without a cell phone for long. I don't have another phone to active with Verizon until a new phone is released either. If I bought a phone from them I could return it within 30 days though. So if they released the Omnia 2 or the TP2 within the next month I should be alright.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Yea I'm leaning towards the TP I think. How does your battery hold up and under what kind of usage? The battery is really my main concern. I've heard that different ROMs really help speed things up but the battery life seems to be pretty bad from most accounts.
The battery life really depends on how you use the phone. I get incredibly long battery life (for a TP anyways), usually 18 hours or so. And I use my phone a LOT, I just do it smart. It has to do with a lot of what boredandtattooed said: data connections, email settings, bluetooth, wifi, weather update, all of that. I also set my backlight to turn off quickly (cuz the screen does pull a lot of power). No matter what though you're gonna have to charge the battery every night. I can shoot you a few other pointers too, if/when you get it.

Quote:
The only problem I have is that my family wants to switch to a new plan now. I don't mind waiting a little bit but I don't want to go without a cell phone for long. I don't have another phone to active with Verizon until a new phone is released either. If I bought a phone from them I could return it within 30 days though. So if they released the Omnia 2 or the TP2 within the next month I should be alright.
It's sounding like the end of September for the VZW TP2 release. So you're close to being within the 30 day range, if your family can hold out a couple weeks.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro